Mon, Sep 9, 6:05 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 08 12:29 am)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: About the on-line magazine subscription site.

Caly ( ) posted Wed, 24 December 2003 at 8:02 AM · edited Thu, 05 September 2024 at 9:17 PM

Sp. where were we? Ah yes. This ties into that thread that was locked down below. judith brought up good points. "This site caters almost exclusively to creative people and by not compensating them for their work I feel you negate what you should be trying to nuture... that is professionalsm and higher standards with due compensation." I also agree with Cyberstretch "I would very much like to see this "Submission and Subscriber Agreement". And Penguinisto "I don't mind a bit that R'osity is a corporation (LLC, whatever), and that you're wanting to sell me things. OTOH, I find it an insult to the intelligence to see an attempt to spoon-feed the masses something that clearly is not." Early on someone directly asked how much this will cost. What are the subscription prices? Are they the same or less than the print magazine? One would expect less. "Up to the moment Poduct Reviews" can be tricky. Sure you won't have a merchant reviewing their own products (one would hope) but will these product reviews be about Renderosity Exclusives? If so, there is some serious conflict. The magazine is tied into the Store here. "New fresh content on a regular basis" Again, how does this work? Is it updated weekly? Monthly? Daily? How do the subscription prices relate? Do you pay a monthly fee for something that's updated twice or 4 times a month etc.? "an online magazine gives us the chance to have interactive tutorials,...to have graphics show in layers so you could actually see a graphic being created" This could have been done just as well with a print magazine, a CD and the web-site. The disappointment for some is losing the actual physical creation. The physical magazine also lent more credibility to being 'published'. I don't assume that all that glitters is gold. As for the preview. it seems odd that only a chosen few will be able to look at it. How will you decide who gets to preview? It has been pointed out that many places give a sample issue. Will there be a 'light' version available for preview for those that don't get chosen? "the free items ... exclusive to the magazine for 90 days... 90 days after publication, the article reverts back to the author and he is free to post or resell" So everything that you pay a subscription for, if you wait 90 days, you can get for free? "Other mags pay for articles. Well, some do, some don't...And they inundate you with advertisements. " So will the magazine area be free of Renderosity banner ads and such? Again, if this is really 'for' the artists, by the artists, some form of payment for the content the artists provide would be much appreciated.

Calypso Dreams... My Art- http://www.calypso-dreams.com

Renderosity Gallery

tammymc ( ) posted Wed, 24 December 2003 at 8:53 AM
Site Admin

We will provide more detailed information on this area once we have it ready to go for the public. We made this announcement because we were communicating to subscribers and felt we needed to communicate to the members as well. Our goal is to launch around March 2004. We will communicate more during that time. -Judith is very correct. I completely agree with her. This is a new business and must cover its cost in the beginning but as this grows and becomes more successful, it opens opporuntities to other participating. That was our goal with the print magazine but the costs were so expensive that we did not quite get there, so we provided a copy of the magazine to that contributor. We will provide contributing artists a PDF version of their article to include in their portfolio. -Submission and subscriber agreements - be available closer to launch. -Penguinisto - again we began communicating with subscribers and felt that this should be shared with the community as well. -Cost of the interactive magazine will be provided around launch. -Product reviews will most likely be about software products. This was what was in the print version. -Content - will be shared closer to launch. -Stopping the printed version - this was disappointing to us but when something is not covering it costs - you can't continue it. -Previews - there will be a preview section for anyone to see as well as the layout of the Interactive Magazine. -Referring to the publishing agreement for 90 days. This is standard publishing language. -Advertising - this is something that we plan to grow within the interactive magazine. Our goal is to create something interesting, fun, and of value for our subscribers. Thank you for your interest in the Interactive Magazine. tammy

Ironbear ( ) posted Wed, 24 December 2003 at 11:09 AM

"We made this announcement because we were communicating to subscribers and felt we needed to communicate to the members as well." - Tammy

Cool. So, when precisely did you actually communicate anything to members, and since the apparent answer is "Not so far", when were you planning to start?

"I am a good person now and it feels... well, pretty much the same as I felt before (except that the headaches have gone away now that I'm not wearing control top pantyhose on my head anymore)"

• Monkeysmell

Penguinisto ( ) posted Wed, 24 December 2003 at 11:25 AM

"Penguinisto - again we began communicating with subscribers and felt that this should be shared with the community as well." Ah, but Caly (bless her heart) missed some parts to that. I was referring not to the R'osity-membership connection per se, but to the fact that you really ought to pay your contributors, and (as the original snippet you answered said) that instead of presenting it as a 'community effort being held together by a shoestring so please pitch in for free!', why not just come out and say that it is a corporate CG effort aimed at pro and hobbyist alike? Make the assembling and publishing of the e-zine an actual professional effort, instead of the ptoemkin-like facade we were presented with by ladynimue/dee-marie? There's no shame in that, is there? Regd's, /P

tammymc ( ) posted Wed, 24 December 2003 at 11:28 AM
Site Admin

Details of the Interactive Magazine should begin mid-feb 2004. tammy

Penguinisto ( ) posted Wed, 24 December 2003 at 12:10 PM

Fair 'nuff :) /P

Kendra ( ) posted Wed, 24 December 2003 at 12:35 PM

I got the email regarding the rest of my subscription but I'm waiting to read the "subscriber agreement" before making a decision. Since that won't be available till Feb is that going to be a problem?

Cheryle ( ) posted Fri, 26 December 2003 at 6:05 PM
Questor ( ) posted Sat, 27 December 2003 at 6:06 AM

Interesting article Cheryl, hopefully some people will read it.

tammymc ( ) posted Sat, 27 December 2003 at 8:45 AM
Site Admin

We will email the subscriber agreement to all previous subscribers. thanks tammy

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.