Mon, Oct 21, 11:45 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 21 11:11 pm)

Subject: P5 Dynamic Hair Fix

ynsaen ( ) posted Mon, 02 February 2004 at 2:35 AM · edited Sat, 19 October 2024 at 2:34 AM

One of the issues I've been very privileged to have been working on with P5 is trying to figure out why the damned things take so very long to load up if you download them or purchase them. In general, dynamic hair should load in not much more than 5 seconds, but most available hair loads in times far longer than that on most systems. The issue does not typically occurr on the machine used to create the hair, either, but on other machines to which the hair is exported. This load time issue makes dynamic hair essentially a great big hairy pain the whosits, and likely is part of the reason folks don't use it often. The fix for it, however, is simple. The cause I leave to the really smart folks here! The issue is a line that is the hr2 file at least once for each group, and references a file created (I believe) during the dynamics calculation phase, that is deleted by Poser on exit. The fix is, prior to release, to open the hr2 file in a text editor with seach and replace capabilities and search out the lines that begin with the term "hairCacheFile". Delete these lines wherever they occur (but do not delete any of the line below it containing a bracket), and save. The catch is that you can't open the file to be sent out back up again, or Poser inserts that line once more! So for testing, a copy of the fix would have to be used. This fix has been verified several times on several different configurations of machines, and works every time. I've waited a week to post this while I worked on a couple other dynamic hair issues that were revealed in my testing for this, and if anything comes of them, I'll let ya'll know about them as well. I'd also like to point out that all of the Hair at RDNA loads incredibly fast on even a memory hobbled system (256 MB on XP with default settings), and all are currently "fixed". Previous RDNA customers can redownload the updated files through their account page :). And they look great, too. Hope this helps folks out :)

thou and I, my friend, can, in the most flunkey world, make, each of us, one non-flunkey, one hero, if we like: that will be two heroes to begin with. (Carlyle)

Mazak ( ) posted Mon, 02 February 2004 at 3:51 AM

I answered you already at RuntimeDNA, and would thank you again. Poser search for every cache file more than a minute! Hair with 3-5 (and more) groups of hair load very long. Your fix saves a lot time :) Mazak

Google+ Bodo Nittel 

DarkMatter_ ( ) posted Mon, 02 February 2004 at 4:18 AM

I wonder if this can be an issue in the next patch taken care of?

ynsaen ( ) posted Mon, 02 February 2004 at 4:32 AM

The next patch is a huge mystery. I'd be willing to gamble that CL's feeling a tad scorched and is playing it close. As a general rule, I'd say don't count on it. Likely be P6 before it's handled.

thou and I, my friend, can, in the most flunkey world, make, each of us, one non-flunkey, one hero, if we like: that will be two heroes to begin with. (Carlyle)

stewer ( ) posted Mon, 02 February 2004 at 4:36 AM

Did you email CL about this?

ynsaen ( ) posted Mon, 02 February 2004 at 4:41 AM

Yes. :) Waited a week before posting, and I've been fiddling in the meantime with the cloth and more on the hair. If the really smart folks dig a bit, I'm willing to bet there will be some pretty spiffy stuff coming out with the hair, lol.

saxon ( ) posted Mon, 02 February 2004 at 11:57 AM

*** big smile ***

aprilrosanina ( ) posted Mon, 02 February 2004 at 8:07 PM

Tried the fix, and it worked for a hair set I'd done. Now if only there were a way to make it render faster, too... :)

CrystalDragon ( ) posted Mon, 02 February 2004 at 10:56 PM

WOW! That makes a huge difference! One of my biggest complaints has always been the loading time, and this fixes it. From five min, to 3 sec, I love it!

sandoppe ( ) posted Thu, 05 February 2004 at 8:25 PM

Does this have any bearing on the render time? I've removed all of my dynamic hair because of slowness to load and render. I don't even try to create it. I have a 1.7ghz PIV with 512 MB DDR Ram XP Pro.

dialyn ( ) posted Thu, 05 February 2004 at 8:30 PM

My question is the same as sandoppes. I don't have any problems loading dynamic hair, but it takes forever and a day to render...much longer than the dynamic cloth. Any solution for that?

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.