Mon, Sep 9, 4:29 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 04 4:56 pm)

Subject: Motherboards that work with Vue Pro

nahie ( ) posted Mon, 23 February 2004 at 7:54 PM ยท edited Sun, 28 July 2024 at 6:16 PM

I'm trying to find a computer that works with Vue Pro. I have two very similar computers: 1) AMD Athlon 1.4 ghz ASUS A7V 133 motherboard 768 MB PC133 SDRAM Windows XP Gforce FX 5200 2) AMD Athlon 1.0 ghz ASUS A7V 100 motherboard 384 MB PC100 SDRAM Windows XP Radeon 8500 Vue Pro runs fine on computer #2 machine, but won't even stay up for 2-3 minutes on computer #1. These are two very similar machines, and before you ask, yes, I've tried switching the video cards, no difference. THIS IS NOT A VIDEO CARD (DRIVER) PROBLEM SO DON'T EVEN GO THERE. BTW, OpenGL works perfectly on computer #2, and it also works fine with Mover 5. I'm thinking the crashing must be related to the motherboard. Although the motherboards are made from the same manufacturer (ASUS), they are slightly different. I also tried Vue Pro on a Sony VAIO 2.2 ghz with 1 gig ram, same crashing after 1-2 minutes. So I want to know, from those of you that can tell me specifically: What motherboard are you using in your machine, if it runs Vue without crashing at the slightest whim? I'm specifically interested in more modern motherboards, because I'm thinking of upgrading my machine, but I don't want to blow a bunch of $$$ if Vue is just going to keep crashing. Thanks.

Dale B ( ) posted Mon, 23 February 2004 at 9:31 PM

Have you tested your memory on box #1? all it takes is a bad bit in a range that normally isn't addressed unless you have something like a graphics program loaded, and boom. There could also be issues with the CDDVD drive that you used to load the program. Older ones could easily have firmware issues, or simply not enough buffer, to load a stable install. And Vue has run like a champ for me on A Gigabyte Triton K7, the new K8-VNXP for the Athlon 64, A Chaintech ECS board, A couple of different ABit early Athlon boards (Thunderbird core support). Memory from PC-3200 to PC-2700 to PC-2100 to PC 133 (except for a couple sticks of Corsair, it's all been Kingston ValueRam). This could also be a chipset driver related. There is an order that drivers need to be installed in....only problem is, the order changes constantly.

nahie ( ) posted Mon, 23 February 2004 at 10:59 PM

Thanks for the tips. Actually it looks to be CD-ROM related. I switched out the CD-ROM and now Vue installs and runs. I never thought about that, as I've installed plenty of other software on that CD-ROM. I don't know what the CD-ROM buffer has to do with it but that looks like the problem. Thanks for the motherboard models too...I'll get one of those when I upgrade. Thanks again.

aussie-3d ( ) posted Tue, 24 February 2004 at 12:40 AM

A bit late for your help, but I built a P4 3.02, Asus P4PE, + Nvdia Gainward card, ram is pc-2700-3GB, Vue 4.12 works fine, no "major" problems, hope it helps.

Dale B ( ) posted Tue, 24 February 2004 at 6:34 AM

As for the CD issues; One of the big ones so far as Vue is concerned is one of their anti-piracy systems. There is a final pass that stabilizes Vue upon installation, and that has to occur from the CD. There have been several rips of Vue 4 and VuePro dropped onto Usenet, and none of them have been stable. If your CD drive has trouble reading that seperate track to fix things, then you have the instability to contend with. The buffer issue has to do with the fact that current hardware can demand data at a far greater rate than the CD drive electronics can provide it (buffer underrun), or the media is rotating so fast that -it- is providing data to the buffer faster than it is being emptied...and can overwrite itself (buffer overrun). Then there's the firmware in the drive itself, that may conflict with your system (get the feeling I've had this trouble before... ;) ).

Tintifax ( ) posted Wed, 25 February 2004 at 8:45 AM

AMD Athlon 2100+ ASUS A7V8X motherboard 1GByte PC333 DDRAM Windows XP Pro MSI Geforce Ti4200 Vue works like a charm :-) - Walter

Tintifax ( ) posted Wed, 25 February 2004 at 8:48 AM

Sorry, didn't read the caption properly. I'm using Vue4.2.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.