Sun, Oct 6, 6:08 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / 3D Modeling

Welcome to the 3D Modeling Forum

Forum Moderators: Lobo3433

3D Modeling F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 29 9:12 pm)

Freeware 3D Modeling Software Links:
Blender | Trimble Sketchup | Wings 3D | Anim8or | Metasequoia | Clara IO (Browser-based 3d modeler)

Check out the
MarketPlace Wishing Well, as a content creator's resource for your next project.

"What 3D Program Should I buy?" Not one person here can really tell you what's best for you, as everyone has their own taste in workflow. Try the demo or learning edition of the program you're interested in, this is the only way to find out which programs you like.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Really Great Parallel Offset, Shelling, or Thickening Modeler Needed?

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Fri, 19 March 2004 at 3:12 PM · edited Tue, 23 July 2024 at 8:16 AM

file_102984.jpg

Could anyone suggest a really great application for this function? As you can see V4 Boolean Differance just does'nt cut the mustard!

BazC ( ) posted Sat, 20 March 2004 at 2:51 AM

I'm not positive of what you want. I assume you have a model and have removed some of it and want to give the remaining "skin" some thickness, kind of lie a broken eggshell? Cinema 4d does a pretty good job of this and there are a few ways of achieving it. There's a "make thicker" plug and the built in explosion deformer can be set up to achieve this. Probably some other plugs too. I don't know V4 but are you sure you don't just have some flipped normals? - Baz

cjd ( ) posted Sat, 20 March 2004 at 12:14 PM

Baz, I have a little bit more info about what is happening here, since I read Angel's first post on this over in the 3D apps forum. It seems a boolean difference has been used to make the figure have a wall thickness for rendering a transparent effect. The problem is that the object used in the subtraction was a slightly scaled down version of the figure, which intersected the larger figure in several places, and has removed parts of the larger mesh. The way to do this is use an app that can do parallel offset, shelling, or thickening. It's all the same function, but some apps refer to it differently. Chris

BazC ( ) posted Sat, 20 March 2004 at 4:37 PM

Thanks cjd, I've never tried anything like that, I would think the make thicker plug would work in Cinema though, I'm pretty sure all the major apps have tools for this but I don't have any experience in this area. Hope someone can help out! - Baz

pearce ( ) posted Sat, 20 March 2004 at 4:55 PM

Amapi 4.15 (now free to download; see the masthead above) has a thickening tool. You can even draw lines and turn them into 3D rods with it (handy for wrought-ironwork). m.

pakled ( ) posted Sat, 20 March 2004 at 7:48 PM

and Wings 3d can thicken by extrusion, or alternatively, by intrusion (if you have a hole to work with..;) the web link is in the masthead at the top.

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Mon, 22 March 2004 at 4:59 PM

BazC - Close, my figure is still solid, but I would like to keep just the "skin" with a comfortable thickness. cjd - Very good! Could you be so kind as to recomend an app. for this? I'm very glad to hear Amapi and WIngs have thickening tools, but what pakled said about has me nervous in that I do'nt have the hole to start with!

pakled ( ) posted Thu, 25 March 2004 at 2:43 PM

Extrusion would probably work better (if you want, go to my gallery and look for the 'Metropolis' figure..it's just Lo-res Vicky with the edges extruded..;) You select faces, hit 'extrude region', then 'normal', and it thickens up. I wouldn't worry about intrude, it only thickens if you have a hole selected (it's a 2-part operation, intrude punches the hole, then l-r on the mouse narrows or widens the hole..;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.