Tue, Sep 24, 8:41 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 5:40 am)

Subject: Ever A Payday?

rainfrey ( ) posted Fri, 02 April 2004 at 5:40 PM · edited Tue, 10 September 2024 at 2:19 PM

I recently posted my first image -- doing that was very rewarding, everyone was so nice and supportive.

But I wonder, does anybody out there make money with their art?

There are so many incredibly talented people here doing such astounding work . . . I am alternately inspired and discouraged by all the fantastic artwork I see.

It surely seems that there would be a market for some of it somewhere?

Yet I have the distinct impression that the majority of artists are hobbyists, and most pictures really are labors of love.

I know first-hand how much time goes into trying to do anything worthwhile, and that investment really shows in these gallery images. If nobody is getting paid, how do they find the time to keep on creating their masterpieces?

Ok, perhaps it is a bit rhetorical, and I am just musing here . . . but I am truly overwhelmed by the sheer amount and diversity of talent displayed here.

I had no idea . . . it's really quite wonderful.

R.

Come by and say "hello!"
http://rainer.us

dlk30341 ( ) posted Fri, 02 April 2004 at 7:49 PM

I think if your good enough you could sell some as prints...I've seen plenty in the Vue gallery I'd be happy to pay for & hang on my walls :) I'm 43 & hope to be good enough by retirement time( I think 20 years is plenty LOL) to subsidize what little social security will be coming our way. I've seen renders in here that look 100% better than what I see in mall stores that sell pictures/frames. JMHO

hein ( ) posted Sat, 03 April 2004 at 1:34 AM

Sold enough to pay for Poser 5 and a good dinner for 2, mind you, I bought P5 for $125 from Amazon. Everyone needs a moneypit, if life doesn't supply you with one, take computer graphics as a hobby :)

Tiny ( ) posted Sat, 03 April 2004 at 2:13 PM

I haven't submitted any art here (yet). I made "computer art" 12 years ago and making a living of it so it is possible.
Now a days I create computer games which also is a kind of art of course.

Cheers ( ) posted Sat, 03 April 2004 at 8:24 PM

Attached Link: http://www.the3dscene.com

yep, as artist, technical writer and advisor. If I can do it, anyone can ;o) Cheers

Twitter: Follow @the3dscene

YouTube Channel

--------------- A life?! Cool!! Where do I download one of those?---------------

gebe ( ) posted Sun, 04 April 2004 at 3:52 AM

Yes, I mostly use Vue to create folders, images for the web and lots of other "little things" for firms and this since version 2 of Vue. Before I drawed by hand only or worked with Corel. So, it is not the software you use that's important, but the results you get out of it. If your clients likes it, they will pay for it:-) Guitta

TheWingedOne ( ) posted Mon, 05 April 2004 at 3:35 AM

Though I'd still call myself a hobbyist, I was able to do several commercial jobs using Poser and Vue over the past 6 months. Not enough to make it a living, but a lot more I ever exspected in the beginning. :))) Phil

Treewarden ( ) posted Tue, 06 April 2004 at 10:38 AM

How do you guys find this work, or go about getting into it?

gebe ( ) posted Tue, 06 April 2004 at 10:43 AM

I did it already in my youg years on Paper as I said. At this time I run around with my "press book" until I got clients. Renderosity is a good start too. If your images looks really great, people (clients, firms)will come to you. That's what happend to me:-).

Tiny ( ) posted Tue, 06 April 2004 at 3:46 PM

How do you guys find this work, or go about getting into it?

As Gebe I started with paper, oil and canvas and such many moons ago.
Lots of visits to galleries, sending out broschures every where. Some periods it was a race against the bills... potatoe soup... and simple living.. usually solved it. ;o)
Also worked with comercial art and printing.

It does take quite some effort to get your work spread and known by others. Visit art galleries and show your work to try getting some exhibitions, is a god start. And sending examples to art critics of newpapers and magazines. Many magazines need illustrations. Creating a good looking web site with examples is a must now a days.
Allways try to get an appointment so you can talk to them face to face. It is easier to say no to someone over the phone or via letter.

Good luck!

Treewarden ( ) posted Tue, 06 April 2004 at 5:48 PM

Thanks Tiny!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.