Sun, Oct 6, 10:50 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: TIR

drawbridgep ( ) posted Fri, 16 April 2004 at 11:16 AM · edited Sun, 04 August 2024 at 7:07 AM

file_106042.jpg

Here's the biggest difference I've seen in a render from just turning on TIR.

Both images are from an identical setup. Just TIR turned on for the lower one. The water has zero reflection, so all comes just from TIR. I guess this is the kinda thing it was designed for. I was only playing with caustics. Amazing what you can find when just playing around

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

draculaz ( ) posted Fri, 16 April 2004 at 11:27 AM

i forgot who or where or when, but there was a decent tut up somewhere about TIR. It's a useful tool. Certainly adds realism. The thing that annoys me about water planes is that it doesn't actually 'FILL' the scene with water, but merely ads a infinite 2D plane of it. It shouldn't be done with cubes or whatever. drac

Ornlu ( ) posted Fri, 16 April 2004 at 11:44 AM

Yeah, I ended up writing the whole physical background of tir. Basically, it's when the angle of light or los in bryce's case exiting the refractive material is shallow enough so that the resultant refraction (n) of the material causes the final angle of the light/los to be less than the 'escape angle' from the water. Thus it reflects back down like in the image above. Jewlers use this law of nature when calculating the suitable angles for diamons as to throw the light that comes in from all angles out of the top crown thus producing a sparkling/lit effect.

Nukeboy ( ) posted Mon, 19 April 2004 at 9:57 AM

Just curious... what was the render time difference between the images?

drawbridgep ( ) posted Mon, 19 April 2004 at 9:58 AM

From what I remember, there really wasn't a great deal in it.

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.