Wed, Sep 18, 12:54 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:39 am)

Subject: Help for the Material Room Challenged...Making Dirt

PabloS ( ) posted Wed, 12 May 2004 at 11:47 AM · edited Sat, 07 September 2024 at 2:01 PM

I'd like to overlay dirt to a texture using material nodes. Problem is, I'm "challenged" in there! My immediate need is to apply smudges to V3 to dirty her up a bit but I'd also like to be able to adjust the size and randomness of the smudges. In the longer term, I could also use material nodes to "dirty up" other objects such as building walls. Does anyone have any tips to accomplish this?

nruddock ( ) posted Wed, 12 May 2004 at 2:58 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?ForumID=12390&Form.ShowMessage=1768916#4

Somebody mentioned something similar in the Python wish list (see attached link). The most useful node will be Turbulence (or one of the other similar nodes). Try experimenting on just a Single Sided square.

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Wed, 12 May 2004 at 4:40 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?Form.ShowMessage=1712744

simple dirt: attach a cloud node between the main properties and the skin image node. turn one color brown, and the other white with a plug going out of the white to the skin image. adjust cloud properties to suit. see linked thread.

My Homepage - Free stuff and Galleries

PabloS ( ) posted Wed, 12 May 2004 at 10:05 PM

thanks all. Not sure how I missed the thread during a search ... oh yes I am. :-)

Ajax ( ) posted Thu, 13 May 2004 at 5:10 AM

file_109043.jpg

Not sure exactly what kind of dirt you're after, but here's some random dirt you could start with. I'll post the nodes in a minute.

View Ajax's Gallery - View Ajax's Freestuff - View Ajax's Store - Send Ajax a message

Ajax ( ) posted Thu, 13 May 2004 at 5:13 AM
Ajax ( ) posted Thu, 13 May 2004 at 5:17 AM

To change the size of the dirty patches, adjust the scale of the clouds node. Raise Value_1 of the Math_Functions node to increase the coverage of dirt and lower it to decrease the dirt. Value_1 of Math_Functions multiplied by Value_1 of Math_Functions_2 should be equal to 1.

View Ajax's Gallery - View Ajax's Freestuff - View Ajax's Store - Send Ajax a message

PabloS ( ) posted Thu, 13 May 2004 at 8:17 AM

Whoa Ajax. Now that's some dirt. You must be the savant that can "see" math functions. :-)

Ajax ( ) posted Thu, 13 May 2004 at 7:39 PM

Well I wouldn't call myself a savant, but I have a degree in mathematics and I work in a related field, so yeah, I can often visualize what this stuff is doing in my minds eye. This one is a quick and dirty (no pun intended) job, so there's not too much going on mathematically speaking in this shader. I'm just blending some random patches of rough dirt onto the skin. It actually looks more like she's been burned, doesn't it? I should probably run the dirt through a colour ramp to stop it being jet black and I should lift the dirt bumps a little as well - there are some places where it kind of looks like the dirt is carved out of her instead of sitting on top of the skin. I was basically just trying to show how you blend a dull bumpy surface with something that's a little smoother and shinier. Hope it helps :-)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.