Thu, Oct 10, 4:31 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 09 12:13 pm)

Subject: flickering, weird shadows

LonRanger ( ) posted Thu, 27 May 2004 at 3:41 PM · edited Thu, 10 October 2024 at 4:27 PM

Hi,

I am working on an animation and when I move a character under a street light (spot light, shadows enabled), the shadows that are cast by the street light don't behave like normal shadows -- they do a flickering sort of dance that is very unnatural and distracting. Any suggestions? Thanks.

unzipped ( ) posted Thu, 27 May 2004 at 3:44 PM · edited Thu, 27 May 2004 at 3:45 PM

Are the lights moving in any way (translating, rotating)? Check your key frames and make sure they aren't. Also if you've pointed them at anything that moves you would have the same problem. If they are that would explain the movement of the shadows.

Unzipped

Message edited on: 05/27/2004 15:45

Redfern ( ) posted Thu, 27 May 2004 at 5:09 PM

What is your shadow map resolution (assuming you are using Poser 4 instead of 5)? The default is a a very weak 256. If your system is up to it, notch them up to 1024. That's normally the deafault maximum. However, if you double left click the light name on the dial "board", you will get a screen allowing you to raise or lower your maximum and minimum rates. I often raise my max. to 4096! You'd think I were snapping images in a vacuum the shadows are so sharp, even zoomed tightly on a character's face! Be aware this will increase your render times. Sincerely, Bill

Tempt the Hand of Fate and it'll give you the "finger"!

LonRanger ( ) posted Thu, 27 May 2004 at 6:10 PM

Thanks. The shadow rez is set for 512. I'll try 1024. Don't want to go much higher because I'm animating very complex scenes at 30 fps.

stewer ( ) posted Fri, 28 May 2004 at 2:50 AM

Instead of increasing the shadow map resolution, try adjusting your shadow lite cams first. Dr Geep has a tutorial on that.

xantor ( ) posted Fri, 28 May 2004 at 9:30 AM

You should make sure that animating is off with the lights too.

LonRanger ( ) posted Fri, 28 May 2004 at 1:06 PM

Cool. When I get a chance, I'll check into your suggestions. Thanks!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.