Tue, Sep 24, 5:18 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 1:44 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Carrara studying

Serious ( ) posted Mon, 31 May 2004 at 7:40 AM · edited Mon, 02 September 2024 at 1:47 PM

I am considering now about purchasing a 3D program for modelling objects and proper texturing, too. I've been heard good and seen bad things about Carrara... but I couldn't find any way to learn online how to use it! For me it's crucial cause I can't learn in real life, I mean, where, damn? Please answer me. And make me think Carrara is worthy. Right now, accordingly to the things I've seen, Cinema4D is way better... but I might change my mind :)

Serious ( ) posted Mon, 31 May 2004 at 10:56 AM

Thank you very much, the monthly PDF does sound very convincing! So does the version 4. But 197 bucks (as I can remember for now) for the Transposer plug-in? Not THAT easy on my wallet :)

nomuse ( ) posted Mon, 31 May 2004 at 2:14 PM

If you've never modelled before, I'd strongly suggest doing some learning with somethng you aren't paying several hundred for. As in, trying out some of the various demos out there, or going to a free modeller like Wings. I have both c4D and CS3, and to my eyes Cinema has more tools and more ways to go about something. Carrara offers a smaller tool set but those tools are easier to learn (and possibly more comfortable to work in for most people).

thomllama ( ) posted Mon, 31 May 2004 at 3:10 PM

try the demos... also you can get 3dxtract for some tutorials on carrara. personally I found C4D a little to confusing for me.. but I'm just a hobbist so if you are looking for pro work.. you'll have to play with the demos and feel them out for your self... I do believe that Carrara can do some very pro work.. (look at the Carrara community project image i posted here and get info on it at 3DCommune.com, this was done by mostly hobbst like myself and in spare time, looks as good as some things in maya and lightwave.. ok i'm pushing it.. but you can do great things with it. check out Mike De la Flor's stuff.. he uses it profesionally) anyway it's up to you I'd say again.. try demos and buy what works for you.

Hexagon, Carrara, Sculptris, and recently Sketchup. 

DaveF ( ) posted Tue, 01 June 2004 at 6:27 AM

I will also echo what has been said here... find a free 3D program or a demo first and play with that before launching yourself into a full-fledged version. I, too, am in the learning stages of modeling and currently have Carrara Studio 3 and Amapi Designer 7 (both from Eovia). Mike De La Flor has a great book out there currently called "The Carrara Studio 3 Handbook". It starts by introducing you to the tools and work areas in Carrara, and slowly builds your skills via tutorials. It was written with the newbie in mind and has been the greatest help I have found so far. I even like it more than the VTC training video. Bottom line is what you want out of the program. Are you looking for a modeling tool, but not concerned about its rendering or animation capabilities, or are you looking for everything in one package? Quite honestly, as much as I would love to have Maya, Lightwave or C4D, I can't see spending that kind of money for a program -- no matter how well it renders or animates. For my purposes, CS3 does what I need it to do.

Regards,

Dave Frohmader (Nagus)

DAZ Studio for Beginners Tutorials

Serious ( ) posted Tue, 01 June 2004 at 8:39 AM

Ough... I've been searching web for hours and hours now... checking not only what they say to you in the official site but also what people really did with the tool provided. What I found out... no matter money thing, don't go by Maya! lol... Carrara bits Maya one hand, not to mention C4D. My desired pack now is ZBrush plus saving long time for Lightwave... There is also Realsoft 3D which is quite good 3d app and it costs something like half a cost of Lightwave. But Carrara is still very appealing by it's price and I've heard people with previous experience on onther programs got very excited by.. :) Thank you all for your help, it is precious! Who knows, the chance I buy Carrara is still very high because of the local provider existanse and, again, the price :)

notefinger ( ) posted Tue, 01 June 2004 at 10:28 AM

There giving away free 3D software with the game Unreal. They want a person to be able to build levels and character. I believe its Maya light but without the save limits. I bought the game and looked at the 3D software part and it looks like a substantual piece of software. I didn't get into any depth with it. You get a fun game and free 3d software

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.