Fri, Sep 20, 7:45 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: Portrait rights?

Himico ( ) posted Wed, 16 June 2004 at 10:51 PM ยท edited Tue, 10 September 2024 at 9:13 AM

When I take pictures of sport or show, can I submit the photos to public gallery (or show the pictures in my website) without their permissions?
Do I have to get their permissions?

Thank you.

DHolman ( ) posted Thu, 17 June 2004 at 5:06 AM

As I understand it, it depends on where you take the photo. If it is in a pubic space, then you have the right to do what you want with it; as long as you don't misrepresent something in the photo. For instance, you can't take a picture of a woman walking down the street and then sell it and display it as "A $10 Prostitute at Work". Well, you can; but you'll probably be sued and will lose. :) For private spaces (most sports stadiums and arenas), there may be different rules. For the most part, you are not going to get any flack from any venue for taking photos of an event there and then displaying them. In fact, all of the events I've shot I've never had anyone write to me asking me to take something down. The opposite has been true. I've been contacted by a number of venues and promoters who really like the photos on my site. They compliment me and some have even given me media passes when I attend more of their shows. I think it pretty much works this way, if your photos make the venue/sports team/event/etc. look good then you are probably never going to have any problems. If, however, the images are derogatory in some way you may upset some people. Teams and venues count on their image to sell tickets. If you get on their radar and go against the image they wish to portray I'm sure you'll hear about it from their lawyers. -=>Donald

Himico ( ) posted Thu, 17 June 2004 at 11:43 PM

Donald,
Thank you very much for your kind response.
They are very helpful

Thanks again.
Himico.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.