Mon, Sep 9, 6:09 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 2:22 am)

Subject: File Paths

Dizzie ( ) posted Thu, 24 June 2004 at 1:31 AM · edited Mon, 29 July 2024 at 7:46 PM

I keep trying to burn Poser files (and others)to CD. I'm using Win XP and I keep getting a compatibility warning saying; One or more paths in this CD project has exceeded the maximum length allowed by the current file system. You may continue to burn this CD but, the files in these paths may not be readable. Does this mean some of the files have a name that is too long? How long am I allowed in WinXP? I have to know that to know which files are too long. If I burn the CD anyway I won't see some files? Thanks for any help you can give me!!

Francemi ( ) posted Thu, 24 June 2004 at 1:34 AM

I'm not sure, Dizzie, but I think paths are not filenames. Maybe you have too many subfolders for your files. Like for example: c:Program FilesPoserRuntimeLibrariesPoseClothingVictoria 3So and soso and so item or pack of itemsthen finally the filename See what I mean? France

France, Proud Owner of

KCTC Freebies  

ynsaen ( ) posted Thu, 24 June 2004 at 1:40 AM

It's not winxp, it's the file format for the CD -- there is a depth and length limit for all CD's of that type (likely Joilet). If you use Nero or Easy CD Creator, the advanced setting will let you correct that to a point.

thou and I, my friend, can, in the most flunkey world, make, each of us, one non-flunkey, one hero, if we like: that will be two heroes to begin with. (Carlyle)

Dizzie ( ) posted Thu, 24 June 2004 at 1:46 AM

I'm using Easy CD 5..where can I find the advanced setting? There is no advanced on the Options window...

Dizzie ( ) posted Thu, 24 June 2004 at 1:53 AM

I'm using Joilet...would it be better to change it to UDF?

xantor ( ) posted Thu, 24 June 2004 at 2:40 AM

You could make less drawers in the thing you are saving, if it is an uncompressed thing then you could compress it with winzip (if you have it) first.

Dizzie ( ) posted Thu, 24 June 2004 at 2:59 AM

I changed it to UDF and this time it burned the CD without that warning. I had first tried moving the files to C:/ but that didn't make a difference so ynsaen is exactly right! Thanks so much...this has been driving me nuts!

ynsaen ( ) posted Thu, 24 June 2004 at 5:35 AM

ack. Sorry Dizzie -- I went off and fell asleep on ya -- but ya got it figgered out, which is better than my tellin ya :)

thou and I, my friend, can, in the most flunkey world, make, each of us, one non-flunkey, one hero, if we like: that will be two heroes to begin with. (Carlyle)

Aeneas ( ) posted Thu, 24 June 2004 at 6:19 AM

I just ignore that. There has been a size-limit indeed, but if you own XP and use the CD's for yourself, then go ahead and try to burn one. You'll see it is only one of those warnings to create something that is widely useable. Never had a problem with it myself. If otherwise, you'll have to rename the names that are too long, or accept an abbreviation.

I have tried prudent planning long enough. From now I'll be mad. (Rumi)

Dizzie ( ) posted Thu, 24 June 2004 at 11:37 AM

Well, I have many tmes just ignored it and burned the CD..but the other day I was archiving my CD's and one of them couldn't be read....I decided to copy it back to HD and make a new one...It had so many errors on it that I couldn't copy half the stuff on there....I even tried using GetDataBack and it couldn't get thru all the errors. That got me wondering if that was the CD that had given that warning several times before...after all, the warning says the files won't be readable....so I was trying to avoid that happening...hopefully this has solved the problem!

Aeneas ( ) posted Thu, 24 June 2004 at 1:07 PM

Don't forget there is something called 'CD rot".The CD's we can buy and burn are much softer than the ones burned in specialized factories. What's worse: not all have the same quality. The cheapset ones that can be bought in supermarkets etc are usually not that good. Not only do they write many errors from the first moment, they also become completely unreadable after a few years at the most. Specialized sites that did a lot of research into this recommend you save important data to several CD's of several well-known brands, that you store them in a cool, dry place and hat you burn a new copy every year. Another solution is to burn cd's and, if money allows, buy an external harddisk. As this won't be used all the time but only attached when needed, it will (normally) be a safe place for several years.

I have tried prudent planning long enough. From now I'll be mad. (Rumi)

xantor ( ) posted Thu, 24 June 2004 at 3:05 PM

I have cds that are 4 or 5 years old and none of them have cd rot, and these were nearly all cheap. Some cds rust when not stored properly but they should be stored in a cool dry place anyway.

hauksdottir ( ) posted Sun, 27 June 2004 at 10:14 AM

Dizzie, The Joliet setting will allow you to read the CD across platforms (PC and Mac). I'm not sure if the other setting will do so. The problem with the non-Jolietted stuff isn't that the Mac won't read it, it is that the file names get shortened to the DOS 8.3 convention. CDs from a few respected merchants in this community need to get converted or else all the textures will be undecipherable. (and we know about Poser and not finding textures) Another issue with CDs is that the rewritable ones can lose the piezzo charge so they become unreadable. So I only use regular CDs. Carolly

xantor ( ) posted Sun, 27 June 2004 at 10:34 AM

I use rewritable cds but ONLY for temporary data ie copying from one computer to another I would say to permanently keep data do not use rewritable disks as carolly said. Remember that although a cd is quite big you can still compress files that you put on it, as well as making the files smaller it means that all the paths in the zip will be kept if you use joliet or not. Of course, you have to make the compressed files properly.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.