Sun, Sep 15, 11:31 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Myst style fantasy bridge

derjimi ( ) posted Sun, 04 July 2004 at 4:16 PM · edited Sun, 15 September 2024 at 6:24 PM

file_115159.jpg

My favorite modelling tool got a mayor upgrade - yahoo! I explored the new features and created a Myst style bridge - still 'work in progress'. This bridge will be my next freestuff item when finished. I'd like to hear some opionions! :-) J.

derjimi ( ) posted Sun, 04 July 2004 at 4:17 PM

file_115160.jpg

Another picture straight out of the modeller.

derjimi ( ) posted Sun, 04 July 2004 at 4:22 PM

file_115161.jpg

Here's the untextured Bryce render.

draculaz ( ) posted Sun, 04 July 2004 at 4:30 PM

hmmm... does that look like... no, couldn't be... *runs like hell to wings3d.com

derjimi ( ) posted Sun, 04 July 2004 at 4:53 PM

lol I tried Wings3D, but I couldn't handle it. I'm happy with SketchUp 4. :-) J.

corys311 ( ) posted Sun, 04 July 2004 at 5:26 PM

I'm a big Wings fan myself, but haven't had the opportunity to use sketchup. Do they have a Mac version out? I'm just starting to get the hang of Wings, so I don't want to switch, I love it! That's a pretty damn cool model though! I remember playing Myst as a 10-12 year old, and it was so hard. I called up this guy that my dad knew who gave it to us all the time to get tips, I think he hated me! Cory

Swade ( ) posted Sun, 04 July 2004 at 5:38 PM

that model rocks man. Nice modeling. 8)

There are 10 kinds of people: Those who know binary, and those who don't. 

A whiner is about as useful as a one-legged man at an arse kicking contest.

foleypro ( ) posted Sun, 04 July 2004 at 6:24 PM

Sweet job sir....

danamo ( ) posted Sun, 04 July 2004 at 7:18 PM

Man, you do some amazing things with SketchUp derjimi! That is some really cool modeling. How is SketchUp for modeling organic-type models? I love Wings too, but some of the stuff you're doing in SketchUp would be hard to replicate using any other app.

ddruckenmiller ( ) posted Sun, 04 July 2004 at 8:13 PM

Looks like your already fantastic models are about to get even more so...

TheBryster ( ) posted Sun, 04 July 2004 at 9:05 PM
Forum Moderator

Been there, used that, beat the game, finished all the MYST episodes.......

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

Melansian_Mentat ( ) posted Sun, 04 July 2004 at 10:08 PM

You have? I got to a puzzle in Riven that I can't even get round with a walkthrough! Wonderful bridge! I can't wait to see the finished product.

derjimi ( ) posted Mon, 05 July 2004 at 12:17 AM

Thank you all. :) corys311, yes there is a Mac version available. danamo, SketchUp is not a good modeler for organic shapes. It's an architectual modeler mainly. If you all like Myst - there's a similar game coming out soon. Keep your eyes open for 'Aura - Fate of ages'. It has fantastic graphics and really hard puzzles. :) J.

wheatpenny ( ) posted Mon, 05 July 2004 at 1:09 AM
Site Admin

Cool model! I couldn't get used to wings, I prefer Rhino.

Jeff

Renderosity Senior Moderator

Hablo español

Ich spreche Deutsch

Je parle français

Mi parolas Esperanton. Ĉu vi?

Erlik ( ) posted Mon, 05 July 2004 at 2:21 AM

Smart, MM, smart. :-) SketchUp is nice, but has a lot of peculiarities.

-- erlik

rj001 ( ) posted Mon, 05 July 2004 at 4:28 AM

nice modelling work, look forward to seeing the completed composition.

Experience is no substitute for blind faith.

http://avalon2000.livejournal.com/ - My Art Blog

Phantast ( ) posted Mon, 05 July 2004 at 5:16 AM

Nice job!

TheBryster ( ) posted Mon, 05 July 2004 at 7:57 AM
Forum Moderator

Melansian: Which puzzle?

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

ddruckenmiller ( ) posted Mon, 05 July 2004 at 10:58 AM

You seem to take sketchup light years beyond the examlples they show on their site...

derjimi ( ) posted Mon, 05 July 2004 at 11:17 AM

Well, I just love to model, and I love SketchUp. And they have to go together - if they want or not. ;-)) J.

Incarnadine ( ) posted Mon, 05 July 2004 at 11:20 AM

I am looking forward to playing with this when you get it in freebies!!!

Pass no temptation lightly by, for one never knows when it may pass again!

derjimi ( ) posted Mon, 05 July 2004 at 12:13 PM

Oh, it will be a freebie definately. :-) The file size is growing up, but I have just get some extra webspace to host it. :-D J.

Incarnadine ( ) posted Mon, 05 July 2004 at 3:53 PM

Actually you could do it as a single segment and an end unit like your modular tower construction kit if you want to save some room/bandwidth (this would be cool for my needs and I suspect, most others too) Richard

Pass no temptation lightly by, for one never knows when it may pass again!

derjimi ( ) posted Mon, 05 July 2004 at 3:56 PM

Yeah, indeed all the 'steps' are just copied ones from the original. But it comes more handy to 'deliver' a whole bridge, I think. :) But I'll think of an 'Bridge construction kit' - thanks for the hint! J.

PJF ( ) posted Mon, 05 July 2004 at 5:38 PM

derjimi, what new worthwhile features do you think there are in version 4? I've had version 3 for a while, but haven't used it much (no problem with the program, just my time schedule). Are there big improvements? Did you use any new features for your impressive model here?

derjimi ( ) posted Tue, 06 July 2004 at 12:21 AM

PJF, the new "Follow Me" tool is awesome. It's a new way to extrude/ lathe shapes. I used it on the rail and the little bended "things" between the inner and outer part of the platform. Also the new features like Ruby scripting and true booleaning come very, very handy. I'm really excited, because with the new tools I can do things in seconds which took me half an hour to do with SU 3. Have a look at the "What's new" tutorial videos: http://www.sketchup.com/training_windows.php J.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.