Wed, Sep 18, 3:49 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: why does Bryce do this?

Colette1 ( ) posted Tue, 06 July 2004 at 11:40 PM · edited Mon, 29 July 2024 at 4:38 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=710985&Start=1&Sectionid=2&filter_genre_id=0&

Here is a link to the picture I was doing for the challenge. I could not add the grass or any of the fore plants. I had to settle for a 2d background as Bryce crashed when I used even one terrain. I was able to save this image by clicking on the 'save image as' button. Bryce would not save this as a br5 as it is now for anything!

draculaz ( ) posted Tue, 06 July 2004 at 11:46 PM

hmm.. your computer couldn't handle it anymore? it's such a nice image though :/

EricofSD ( ) posted Wed, 07 July 2004 at 1:32 AM

You have some high poly models in there. RAM is critical for model import and mesh usage. CPU is critical at render time. Since you crashed on mesh usage I would speculate that you need more RAM. I have 1 gig and that is sometimes not enough on win2k. It is certainly not enough on XP. Anything under half gig on any OS and I'm going to have to say "bummer dude".

draculaz ( ) posted Wed, 07 July 2004 at 2:33 AM

that's dudette I believe :D

RodsArt ( ) posted Wed, 07 July 2004 at 5:11 AM

May want to try layers that can be pieced together like in some of Rochr's images. He typically posts the "WIPS" steps of his compositions. http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?ForumID=107&Form.ShowMessage=1734673 http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?ForumID=107&Form.ShowMessage=1644616

___
Ockham's razor- It's that simple

Erlik ( ) posted Wed, 07 July 2004 at 6:01 AM

Ornlu's grass? Heh. :-) You need a ton of RAM. Otherwise, do what ICM suggests. But also do a search for Flak's mini tuts on compositing.

-- erlik

draculaz ( ) posted Wed, 07 July 2004 at 7:18 AM

yeah, was gonna say, freebies from ornlu need a serious disclaimers :D

Colette1 ( ) posted Wed, 07 July 2004 at 9:38 AM

Thanks for the info..it's back to the drawing board...so to speak..LOL I will do a search and check out the layering technique. @drac yes it is dudette..thanks.:)

shadowdragonlord ( ) posted Wed, 07 July 2004 at 3:03 PM

Colette, there's really no reason why this scene would have crashed, that I can see. I've put together scenes with as many props/polys with 256 MB RAM, but if you have less than that as a bare minimum, perhaps that's the issue...? Keep the scene around, and as your computer picks up in power and speed, come back to the scene and give it a workover...

Colette1 ( ) posted Thu, 08 July 2004 at 12:07 AM

NOt sure what RAM I have actually. I do know I have done pics with much more "Bryce crashing "power than this one. Don't know what's up.

shadowdragonlord ( ) posted Thu, 08 July 2004 at 1:52 PM

When your computer starts up, it performs a Power-On-Self-Test, or POST. It will count the RAM on-screen, hopefully, and tell you how much you have. Another way is to go into your control panel and look, it will tell you on the first "System" page...

Colette1 ( ) posted Fri, 09 July 2004 at 9:53 AM

I checked in the control panel and it says I have 228,784 KB RAM what does this mean?would that be like ~228 MB? I am not really good at math. :/

shadowdragonlord ( ) posted Fri, 09 July 2004 at 9:55 PM

Hmm... well, you're right about that being about 228 MB, but the problem is that it shouldn't be 228. That would mean you have a 128MB DIMM, a 64 MB one, and a 32... That's not good, as all three would have different speeds and paging sizes and whatnot. If you had two 128's, that would be fine, or just one 256. Perhaps take a look around locally and see if you can find a cheap 256, they run about $25 here in Seattle. I don't know if that would help this scene, but it would certainly help your computer!

Colette1 ( ) posted Fri, 09 July 2004 at 10:18 PM

I have no idea what you are talking about. I will have to take it up with my son in law since he built the pc for me.All I know is to turn it on and click on the Bryce icon..LOL Just kidding. But i am pretty computer illiterate.

shadowdragonlord ( ) posted Sat, 10 July 2004 at 8:31 PM

Well, to make it simple, a PC's RAM, or physical memory, has a certain speed in MHz (Millions of cycles per second). In your computer, you have three RAM chips which are not built to work together. Although they CAN work together, what you'll experience is system instability and crashes. Ask your son-in-law to find you a good 256 MB chip, or better yet a 512 MB stick, and you will experience less problems, although I'm not certain this is THE problem in question. Still, 512 MB would really open up your Brycing potential, and let you add nearly any amount of extra stuff to your scenes...

Colette1 ( ) posted Sat, 10 July 2004 at 10:58 PM

Thanks Shadowdragonlord. I will definitly talk to him. I have already bookmarked this thread. He is in Alaska right now. So will wait until he gets back. Again thanks.:)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.