Sun, Oct 6, 2:27 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Tutorial

drawbridgep ( ) posted Thu, 22 July 2004 at 1:58 PM ยท edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 12:34 PM

flinch67 just made a comment on one of my pictures:
"Mate, you just keep 'em coming, don't you. I'm not complaining though. Maybe you could do a tutorial for us lesser mortals? "

So here's what I did:

1. Sell up and make enough money from the sale that you can emmigrate and not worry about finding a job for a year and just bum around playing with Bryce 24/7 learning from the masters on R'osity.

2. Pretty much it.

Hope that helps. :-)

OK, here's a real photoshop tip (I do this on pretty much everything now) try it out and trust me...

Run autolevels on the Bryce picture to sort out the ambience (sometimes needs fading a bit). Duplicate the Bryce layer, do a gausian blur of about 12.6 on the new layer (don't ask why it's 12.6 ;-) and then reduce the opacity of the layer to about 45% and you get a diffused effect without losing the sharpness of the picture.

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Websiteย 
Facebook

orbital ( ) posted Thu, 22 July 2004 at 3:02 PM

Nice tip, thanks Phil!

http://joevinton.blogspot.com/

danamo ( ) posted Thu, 22 July 2004 at 5:32 PM

Thank you for spilling one of your secrets!

TheBryster ( ) posted Thu, 22 July 2004 at 6:42 PM
Forum Moderator

WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? I have no idea what Drawbridge just said.....ROTFLMAO!

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

danamo ( ) posted Thu, 22 July 2004 at 9:20 PM

See Bryster, Phil has become an American already,lol!

waldomac ( ) posted Thu, 22 July 2004 at 9:28 PM

I think this is wonderful. I tried it, and I absolutely love the results. Interestingly, though, when I did the first step on the image -- run autolevels -- one pic I had, with a completely gray floor, turned cyan. Bizarre. I loved the slight clarification/equalization of the rest of the image, though, and the cyan looked somehow normal, so I left it alone. Freaky-deaky. Then with the diffusion, the result was just fantastic. Thanks for sharing this.

danamo ( ) posted Thu, 22 July 2004 at 9:32 PM

Yeah, I tried it too and I really liked the results.

jasonmit ( ) posted Fri, 23 July 2004 at 2:59 PM

Okay, can someone give more explicit details for a Photoshop noob? Also, before and after pics would be great.

waldomac ( ) posted Fri, 23 July 2004 at 3:16 PM

file_118260.jpg

Here are a couple of pics, for interest value, as to the difference. I'll follow up with a humble attempt to explain where to go to do what was described in the tut. Before and after...

waldomac ( ) posted Fri, 23 July 2004 at 3:27 PM ยท edited Fri, 23 July 2004 at 3:29 PM

OK, drawbridgep's tutorial starts with

STEP 1:
"Run autolevels on the Bryce picture to sort out ambience ..."

This is found on the menu: Image>Adjustments>Auto Levels (Shift>Control>L for windows users). It is precisely what it says, automatic; there are no adjustment knobs or sliders, it just does it.

Next drawbridgep's instructions say to do

STEP 2: Duplicate the Bryce layer.

This is found on the menu: Layer>Duplicate Layer ...
You'll have a dialog that will pop up that will give you a field to name your new layer, or you can just leave it default. Whatever you choose. I just named mine "diffuse layer."

Now that layer is there, and it looks just like your other, so you won't see any difference, but it is there nonetheless.

STEP 3: "Do a gausian blur of about 12.6."

This is found on the menu as follows: Filter>Blur>Gaussian blur ...

You will get a nice dialog that allows you to type in the 12.6 as specified by drawbridgep.

STEP 4: "... reduce the opacity of the layer to about 45 percent."

Transparency are on the Layers dialog that I actually keep up all the time. If, however, you don't see it over on the right among your open windows, F7 will get you there or, on the menu as follows: Window>Layers. Change the setting of opacity to 45%.

That's it; all his instructions and where to find them. I hope this is of help. Neat tools to get a wonderful soft diffusion without killing your image's clarity.

Message edited on: 07/23/2004 15:29

jasonmit ( ) posted Fri, 23 July 2004 at 4:26 PM

file_118261.jpg

Thanks, waldomac. Here are my attempts. On the toy train image, I didn't run autolevels as I didn't like the color adjustments. Also, opacity is only 33% because I didn't like that much diffusion.

shadowdragonlord ( ) posted Sun, 25 July 2004 at 4:49 AM

Good stuff, I love picking up all these little tips from everyone...

TheBryster ( ) posted Sun, 25 July 2004 at 6:29 AM
Forum Moderator

Waldomac: Thank you! What a great translation...even though I use PSP7 and not photoshop, I did actually understand what you said AND I think I might be able to transfer all that to PSP. See what happens? Brits go to the USA and get transmogryfied!

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

flinch67 ( ) posted Sun, 25 July 2004 at 10:46 PM

Thanks Phil.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.