Fri, Oct 4, 3:29 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: something I'm working on...

Incarnadine ( ) posted Tue, 10 August 2004 at 10:42 PM · edited Tue, 23 July 2024 at 12:45 AM

file_121729.jpg

I am in the process of modelling a copy of my industrial grade Katana. A few tweaks to the mesh to go but mostly done. It should be available as wavefront object (although a bryce obp is possible too). Would anyone want a copy? (Freebie for commercial/non-commercial of course!)

Message edited on: 08/10/2004 22:44

Pass no temptation lightly by, for one never knows when it may pass again!

xenic101 ( ) posted Tue, 10 August 2004 at 11:13 PM

Gotta love a full tange. Looks done.

draculaz ( ) posted Wed, 11 August 2004 at 12:47 AM

awesome work :)

danamo ( ) posted Wed, 11 August 2004 at 1:39 AM

Hai Incarnadine san! Domo Arigato sensei!

vasquez ( ) posted Wed, 11 August 2004 at 3:10 AM

awesome! and great render also: simple, clean but near to reality

TheBryster ( ) posted Wed, 11 August 2004 at 5:16 AM
Forum Moderator

Damn! Just cut my finger looking at this!

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

pakled ( ) posted Wed, 11 August 2004 at 12:34 PM

great modeling, only thing I'd change is the handle; it has a sort of Kitchen look to it (not that I could do as well..;) should be a simple fix.

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

GROINGRINDER ( ) posted Wed, 11 August 2004 at 1:54 PM

Hoodoggies. I have a knife that I made thirty years ago that has that exact same handle. It is a really simple way to do handles, but if done right it lasts a really long time. I would love a copy. What app are you doing the modeling in?

catlin_mc ( ) posted Wed, 11 August 2004 at 4:00 PM

Ooooo yes, it looks fantastic Incarnadine. 8)

Incarnadine ( ) posted Wed, 11 August 2004 at 6:08 PM

The real one I modelled it from has that style of handle. It's one of the things I like about it as an indutrial grade weapon (I loathe wall-hangers), serious strength/durabilty and simplicity. The model (and the render) are done in Cinema4D. I have to break out a couple of the textures still as separate objects as they are currently assigned to polygon selections and bryce does not seem to handle multiple polygon texture selections in the same mesh. Should be ready to go by the weekend. IM me with your addy's (as I do not have a site to d/l from) - Groingrinder/Catlin - unless your's have changed I still have them.

pakled ( ) posted Wed, 11 August 2004 at 9:27 PM

oh..ok..no problem..I've just never seen something that simple, in a Zen sort of way..hey, it's great modeling, no matter what things south of the tang look like..keep with it..

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

Incarnadine ( ) posted Wed, 11 August 2004 at 10:46 PM

If you have a good photo ref I can try to knock out an alternate grip in the future. Good excuse to try some hyperNurbs box modelling.

shadowdragonlord ( ) posted Sat, 14 August 2004 at 4:25 AM

Aye, Incarnadine, I'm with you on the anti-toy sword sentiment. My tattoo-artist had a sword built from spring steel, you know, from a compressed leaf of a semi-truck's suspension? Not too pretty, but you could cut a car clean in half with the bastard. To hold it is to hold death, I love it... Yours looks beautiful and terribly functional, as well! If you post it, I'd love to toss it in a render as a tribute, someday...

pogmahone ( ) posted Sat, 14 August 2004 at 5:22 AM · edited Sat, 14 August 2004 at 5:24 AM

"My tattoo-artist had a sword built from spring steel, you know, from a compressed leaf of a semi-truck's suspension? Not too pretty, but you could cut a car clean in half with the bastard. To hold it is to hold death, I love it..."

:o|

rotfl
edit to add - sorry, the way you put it just tickled my funny-bone!!

Message edited on: 08/14/2004 05:24

shadowdragonlord ( ) posted Sun, 15 August 2004 at 1:52 PM

Aye, Pog, I've held nearly every weapon hold-able to mankind without the use of suspensors or tentacles, and I'm saying that Stone's (my tattoo-piercer friend) sword is the most deadly weapon I've ever touched... But to hold a weapon is also life. The only point to having a weapon is to safeguard the lives of those you love... Swords are made only to kill people, and thus are as honorless as guns. Spears are much cooler. But I still love me a good Katana! Thanks, Incarnadine, for sending it over. I think I'll put it on my desk scene that I've been slaving over...!

Incarnadine ( ) posted Sun, 15 August 2004 at 4:50 PM

file_121730.jpg

next project...

TheBryster ( ) posted Sun, 15 August 2004 at 8:27 PM
Forum Moderator

Incarnadine: How about a good two-handed battle sword as held by Roland the German knight?

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

Incarnadine ( ) posted Sun, 15 August 2004 at 9:56 PM

That is what I am trying for here. although the proportions could work as a hand and a half bastard as well.

Incarnadine ( ) posted Sun, 15 August 2004 at 10:14 PM

Got any images?

TheBryster ( ) posted Mon, 16 August 2004 at 7:27 AM
Forum Moderator

Sorry! My dad had some pics from when he worked in Germany. There's this humungus statue of the guy in a square in Breman....that's your first clue...LOL.

Incarnadine ( ) posted Mon, 16 August 2004 at 8:17 PM

I have to rework the cross-guard but otherwise am pretty happy with it. Will put it up for offer when I am happy with it.

TheBryster ( ) posted Mon, 16 August 2004 at 9:27 PM
Forum Moderator

Roland - German Knight, Breman, Germany.

Incarnadine ( ) posted Mon, 16 August 2004 at 9:36 PM

Wow, that would have some serious balance issues though, either that or be pushing 7-8 lbs! Yikes. Cool picture though.

catlin_mc ( ) posted Tue, 17 August 2004 at 1:37 PM

I got the katana Incarnadine thank you mucho. 8) When I was in Edinburgh castle with Ang there were lots of claymore's around one of the halls and they are huge. I would say they're nearly the same height as a man and the blades, at the hilt end, are as wide as a womans hand. The actual handle is about 12 inches or 30 cm long. 8) Thus endeth the lesson for today. 8P Catlin

TheBryster ( ) posted Tue, 17 August 2004 at 2:29 PM
Forum Moderator

I would say they're nearly the same height as a man and the blades, at the hilt end, are as wide as a womans hand. But scotsmen are only 3' 6" high.......

Incarnadine ( ) posted Tue, 17 August 2004 at 6:07 PM

At least that's what it seems the Scott's monument was built for... (grin) The one I am working on is scaled at about 54 in long overall. There are a class of swords called bearing swords that are used for purely ceremonial purposes and are huge (too large to fight with actually). If I remember right, these start at 5 -6 feet and may go up to 7. The model above has some strapping forward of the cross guard to allow for a small degree of choking up for closer quarters use. I believe I should probably extend this further along the blade to be in proper proportion. As to the 12 in hilt - on a two handed bastard the users hands are usually separated by several inches to allow for more force through a pivoting action around the forward hand. This has the advantage of meaning that you do not have to move the sword as far from the guard position to deliver a good blow thus lessening your exposure to attack/counter.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.