Mon, Oct 21, 5:38 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photoshop

Welcome to the Photoshop Forum

Forum Moderators: Wolfenshire, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photoshop F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 10:49 pm)

Our mission is to provide an open community and unique environment where anyone interested in learning more about Adobe Photoshop can share their experience and knowledge, post their work for review and critique by their peers, and learn new techniques while developing the skills that allow each individual to realize their own unique artistic vision. We do not limit this forum to any style of work, and we strongly encourage people of all levels and interests to participate.

Are you up to the challenge??
Sharpen your Photoshop skill with this monthly challenge...

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: DPI vs Print size question please..

igohigh ( ) posted Tue, 17 August 2004 at 9:34 PM ยท edited Wed, 17 July 2024 at 7:54 PM

If a magazine asks for images to be: advisable 300 dpi, A5, 16830, tiff or jpg format Q: What does the "A5, 16830" mean? (question is from a Ukrain magaine publisher)

retrocity ( ) posted Tue, 17 August 2004 at 11:26 PM

file_123208.jpg

That measurement would mean the "output" size, though i thought an A5 was 148x210...

not sure myself now, it's more a "euro" size so hopefully someone else can shed some light...

hope it helps

:)
retrocity

igohigh ( ) posted Tue, 17 August 2004 at 11:53 PM

file_123209.jpg

Now that makes more sense then what I came up with. So I should set the size in the 'Document Size' field and not the 'Image Size' fields?? When done my way it came out looking rather tiny so surely I'm wrong... I wrote back and asked but it must be night time over there as she hasn't responded yet.

Hoofdcommissaris ( ) posted Wed, 18 August 2004 at 3:20 AM

The size of A5 is 148x210, but they seem to want a bleed of 10 mm all around (maybe the cutting machines in Ukraine aren't very precise?) So you would need the 168x230 as total image size (with nothing important near 10 to 20 mm of the edge of the image) at 300 dpi, I guess.

igohigh ( ) posted Wed, 18 August 2004 at 9:06 AM

I'm confused...she wrote back this morning as said my first photo (6meg) was good quality but she meant "168x230 pixels" and something about their computer having "bad codeing" that caused the confusion. So now I am assuming that she means Image Size of 168x230....well that makes the 10+meg photo only 128K, good because my ISP wont let me e-mail over 10meg (so I found out after 2 hours of trying to upload the second one) Guess I'll just wait for a response.

Hoofdcommissaris ( ) posted Wed, 18 August 2004 at 9:17 AM

I don't think it will work out. Such a small photo will result in a print size of around 0.5x0.75 inch. Or is the magazine published for stamp collectors? I am only kidding of course. But I think the 20 (i think millimeters) difference with the actual size of an A5 in centimeters is not just coincidentally. She might be referring to the difference in inches and millimeters or something. When you end up needing to send a 10Mb+ size file, I can recommend the free site www.yousendit.com where you can upload a file (max 1 Gb) and it sends an email to whoever you want, who can download it from then. So you do not have to deal with the maximum email servers have to set. Good luck!

igohigh ( ) posted Wed, 18 August 2004 at 5:25 PM

Thanks Hoofdcommissaris, even mail2web only allows a 10meg attachment. Darn thing is that I am still on dial-up so it really hurts to spend all that upload time only to find out they refuse to let it go through.... Bookmarking that one!

karosnikov ( ) posted Wed, 18 August 2004 at 5:48 PM

A5 + 10mm bleed =168 x 230mm @ 300 DPI = 1984 pixels x 2717 pixels. I think that a 10 mm bleed around the outside is more than necessary. Pehaps they find it hard to decide where to crop an image, perhaps the magazine title will conflict with the image - that extra 10mm of image can be moved about in quark or InDesign in it's picture box. to suit. 168x230 pixels printed to 168x230 mm is not 300 dpi. it's about 25.4 dpi I think (?)

retrocity ( ) posted Wed, 18 August 2004 at 6:35 PM

good info guys! @Hoof, thanks for the link! i'll use it myself for those that i don't want to give FTP access to... :) scott

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.