Mon, Sep 16, 12:04 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 14 4:17 pm)

Subject: a new dangerous virus is on the way

sittingblue ( ) posted Thu, 16 September 2004 at 5:01 PM · edited Sun, 08 September 2024 at 7:47 PM

Attached Link: http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,117776,tk,dn091504X,00.asp

Microsoft just alerted the world to a new virus that can be attached to a .jpeg file. The virus is attached to end of the .jpeg file and executes from a buffer overun on affected systems.

If you download Windows XP SP2, your safe.

Charles

gillbrooks ( ) posted Thu, 16 September 2004 at 5:17 PM

I wonder if it's scare mongering cuz there aren't enough people downloading SP2. I won't download it - I have too many programmes in that are in the list of things it screws up :(

Gill

MightyPete ( ) posted Thu, 16 September 2004 at 5:33 PM

Attached Link: http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

Just use the new Firefox browser instead. Problem solved!

lingrif ( ) posted Thu, 16 September 2004 at 6:12 PM

Thanks to Sittingblue for the warning. But I too am still leery about SP2 and am waiting a bit. So also, a big thanks to MightyPete for the link. I've been meaning to download and install this program and that gave me the impetus to do so. I am now viewing this page from Mozilla Firefox. Cool program!

www.lingriffin.com

sittingblue ( ) posted Thu, 16 September 2004 at 6:22 PM

Actually, I misled everyone about SP2. SP2 fixes Windows XP and Windows XP SP1. There are still other avenues for this type of virus to spread.

I'm wondering how many unchecked and untested programs there are in the image editing / image viewing categories that will suffer the buffer-overun as well.

Charles

deadhead ( ) posted Thu, 16 September 2004 at 6:24 PM

Opera + The Bat + Kerio Firewall + NOD32 antivirus. I dont know what virus is :)

Orio ( ) posted Thu, 16 September 2004 at 7:21 PM

Gillbrooks could you please point me to the list of software that is not compatible with SP2? Or at least mention the most common graphic software that is known to be incompatible thanks!

lingrif ( ) posted Thu, 16 September 2004 at 8:12 PM

I'm not sure of the exact url for the list, but go to support.microsoft.com The very first article on that page is a link to all you need to know about SP2. Somewhere on that page is a link to the programs that have trouble with SP2.

www.lingriffin.com

deadhead ( ) posted Fri, 17 September 2004 at 12:46 AM
Tiny ( ) posted Fri, 17 September 2004 at 4:24 AM

Thanks > MightyPete for the link to FireFox! Just installed it at it is really fast compared to IE. And all those function are great. :o)

Orio ( ) posted Fri, 17 September 2004 at 4:30 AM

Thanks for the list, there are already a couple of programs that I have such as Pinnacle... but I am more worried about the programs that are not mentioned probably because they are less popular on the big scale: I refer to Vue, Poser... all our "typical" 3d software. Any report about those?

MightyPete ( ) posted Fri, 17 September 2004 at 5:25 AM

Came here to check my post from work machine running IE Took 7 mins and 5 attempts to get here to reply. Page kept dying and failing to load properly. (The Front page) How did IE get so popular I never know. Firefox and I'm here in two seconds... Work here though blocks Firefox at the firewall Idiots.. Maybe not people are getting paid to get no where on the web. It's hourly so it works to the employes benifit.

Dale B ( ) posted Fri, 17 September 2004 at 6:35 AM

Have you heard about the new one? Apparently MS broke some of their own security with SP-2, and under the right circumstances, you can remote access someone else's computer and examine to your lil ol heart's content. Desipite the nifty new firewall. Ouch. Links to the site that makes the claim is at the Inquirer.

Orio ( ) posted Fri, 17 September 2004 at 6:43 AM

With all the money that he has, can't Bill Gates just hire some decent programmer? If he'd hire just one of those hackers around, to work for him, instead of the hundreds sleepwalkers he is apparently using, I'm sure he would get a safer product!

aeilkema ( ) posted Fri, 17 September 2004 at 7:16 AM

Wow another way to force SP2 upon us.... just listen what Microsoft states: "The JPEG flaw was reported privately to Microsoft and it was not disclosed prior to the release of the warning and patches, the software maker says. There have been no reports of the issue being exploited, Microsoft says." Now everyone knows and we can wait 'till someone will exploit the flaw! They should have just kept their mouths closed and done something about it silently without everyone knowing it. I really don't believe half of these reports I'm reading anymore, I never had a virus until now and I'm connected to the inet most of the day. I'm really starting to see all of these Microsoft reports as a way to force the updates unto us, through which they gain more control over my pc. I'm really not sure what it worse, a virus that can be detected before hand on my system and dealt with before it causes any damage or all these forced improvements by Microsoft which cannot be undone. The worst thing is that I've paid Microsoft for a lot of bugs if I'm to believe all of these reports. What Microsoft is really saying is that Windows XP is just one big mess and we can't develop any decent software application and all of the money you pay us we use to monopolize the market to make sure no one ever can develop a better system.

Artwork and 3DToons items, create the perfect place for you toon and other figures!

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?vendor=23722

Due to the childish TOS changes, I'm not allowed to link to my other products outside of Rendo anymore :(

Food for thought.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYZw0dfLmLk

MightyPete ( ) posted Fri, 17 September 2004 at 9:48 AM

This is why he problem it's about abusive monopoly and not good programming practices. Why does Front page insists on starting when I search for a file and it's been uninstalled anyway? Why does print spooler need to be on the web? This intigration is where the bugs are coming from, Unexpected after effects. Cross application exploits. Why do they have this cross platform intigration? Abusive Monopolist. It keeps people from getting there own better products running and it keeps you from easly uninstalling there bugs. http://litepc.com Look at Firefox vs IE. I couldn't hardy get the page to load last night at work (more than 18 mins, five times I restarted IE cause it seemed to be hungup on something. ). Going here at home with Firefox took less than two seconds. Oh speed up Firefox even more whith this niffy patch: http://www.everythingisnt.com/hosts.html

Dale B ( ) posted Fri, 17 September 2004 at 10:31 AM

What's so bad, Orio, is that it isn't the honest to Ghu hackers that wreak so much damage; it's the waxy-eared little script kiddies, who couldn't hack their way out of a wet McDonald's Egg McMuffin wrapper if their lives depended on it. And yeah, 982kXP Lite is a wonderful way to avoid the Microsoft Service Pack nonsense, Yank IE, Outlook, Scripting Host, MS Java machine, and you've borked 99.88% of the access points that the twinks can use. The only one really left is the inherent TCP/IP trouble, and a nice firewall, and preferably a router with NAT or an actual server box doing the same function fixes that little red wagon but good. And the really evil thing is that all you have to do is copy out the very first IE registry key, then reinsert it after all the IE crud is gone, and you have the one key that all the installers that howl that you 'need IE 5+ and you don't have it so I'll install it for you or quit now!' search for, and if they find it, the app installs just fine. That doesn't include things like MS Office, of course; the dependencies are a bit more involved, and I use WordPerfect anyway, but even those apps using IE as an interface GUI seem to install just fine. You lose all the nifty eye candy, and get a GUI of Windows default, but it still works... And Don't forget to include Opera in the list of alternative browsers that work so much better than IE.....not to mention being skinnable for coolness...

markostimpy ( ) posted Fri, 17 September 2004 at 10:32 AM

I went so far as to even link to "Firefox" on my links page. Had it for two years and love it.

Mark S. Popham

markostimpy@gmail.com

MightyPete ( ) posted Fri, 17 September 2004 at 1:28 PM

Best piece of software I have right now. The other being pclite. There is themes in firefox. I kind of like this endless customizing that's possible with it. Extentions. Editable Google bar. Tabs man, Try this put all you favorate bookmarks in one folder then right click open in tabs. Great in the morning when your trying to drink your coffee and wake up. All your news all your forums all at once.

sittingblue ( ) posted Thu, 23 September 2004 at 5:59 PM

Attached Link: http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,117902,tk,dn092304X,00.asp

The first virus .jpegs are out now. It appears anti-virus companies are on top of the problem.

Charles

lingrif ( ) posted Thu, 23 September 2004 at 7:33 PM

I'm now a true believer. Firefox is wayyyyy cool. I can't believe the speed. And using it in the galleries has been a dream. I still haven't messed with SP2 and have no inclination to. Just heard of toooo many problems. Thanks again, MightyPete.

www.lingriffin.com

Tiny ( ) posted Fri, 24 September 2004 at 5:27 AM

I am also a Firefox believer now! It is so fast. Now at last I see we got DSL connection. :oP

MightyPete ( ) posted Sat, 25 September 2004 at 10:27 AM

Isn't this great? It's just like a free DSL upgrade. Merry Christmas guys. Oh and rumor has it that Microstuffs chief of security uses Firefox. Wonder how long he'll be working there? Oh and you must of heard the new fix for IE only comes with SP2 only for XP. So it kinda sucks if you use some other version. Somebody should put a link in the free programs thread.:)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.