Wed, Sep 18, 11:03 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:39 am)

Subject: Working JCMs in P5 without file hacking

FyreSpiryt ( ) posted Sun, 19 September 2004 at 1:59 PM · edited Fri, 16 August 2024 at 4:17 PM

Well, without file hacking on the end user's part, anyway.

Background
For those who don't have it burned into the back of their skull by staring at too much code, every remote-controlled morph has five lines of control code like this:
valueOpDeltaAdd
Figure 1
rCollar:1
zrot
deltaAddDelta -0.020000

The first line says "Hey, I'm remoted controlled!", the second line says which figure the controlling dial is in, the third says which body part, the fourth which dial in the body part, and the fifth is a number that Poser multiplies the controlling dial's value by to figure out the controlled dial's value.
And if it worked that way, all would be well and right in the Poser world. But of course, it doesn't.
In Poser 4, the dials largely ignored the figure lines and searched through whatever figures they could find and used those dials instead of the ones they were supposed to. This caused crosstalk, the problem where when you had several morphed figures in a scene, the later ones all looked like the first. On the other hand, it also allowed joint-controlled morphs in clothes to automatically follow the movements of a clothed figure, which is a good thing.
In Poser 5, this bug was at least partially fixed. When the control code Figure number is the same as the figure's number, both numbers are updated when the file is loaded and cross-talk does not happen. Unfortunately, joint controlled morphs doesn't follow, either. Now, you can hack a file so that the control code figure number is different then the figure's number. This will force Poser to look outside the figure for the control dial.
Again, if Poser would look to the figure number the dial is calling for, all would be good. But, it doesn't. It freaks out and latched the first dial it finds in another number. The problem here is if you're trying to conform clothes to a figure, and the clothing has the hacked control code that looks outside for a control dial. The first item of clothing freaks out, and latched onto the figure's dial. This is good, because when the base figure is posed then the clothing item's JCMs will trigger, and that's what we want it to do. Unfortunately, when the second item of clothing freaks out, it latched onto the first clothing item's dials. Conformed clothes joints don't change when the base figure is posed, so the second's JCMs won't trigger.
If you sacrifice a virgin calculator to the electronics gods during a full moon while doing the hokey-pokey and turning yourself about, sometimes you can get the second clothing to work. But it sure is a PITA.

The Good Part
I may have found a way to force multiple pieces of clothing to follow the base figure in Poser 5, without file hacking. I have free toolkits for M3 and V3 that include poses to connect JCMs when making clothing items.
http://www.shininghalf.com/desprit/downloads/V3Tools.zip
http://www.shininghalf.com/desprit/downloads/M3Tools.zip
I found that if you apply the JCM-connecting pose to a conformed piece of clothing, it will force it to look in Figure 1 for control dials, even if it's the second or later item loaded.

The Down Side

1. The base figure has to be Figure 1. So if you want to have several characters in a scene with clothing JCMs working, you'll have to clothe them separately, save them to the library, and load them into your scene from there.
  2. The above poses have the control ratios from Mike 3 and Vicky 3. If the clothing has a different ratio, that'll be lost when the poses are applied.

FishNose ( ) posted Sun, 19 September 2004 at 3:16 PM

This is WAY cool! :] Fish

Ajax ( ) posted Sun, 19 September 2004 at 3:50 PM

Nice going, Kati. So the relationship between the conformers and the base figure is preserved when you save them to the library as a single library entry?

View Ajax's Gallery - View Ajax's Freestuff - View Ajax's Store - Send Ajax a message

lesbentley ( ) posted Sun, 19 September 2004 at 5:06 PM

Re post #1: FyreSpiryt you say. "2) The above poses have the control ratios from Mike 3 and Vicky 3. If the clothing has a different ratio, that'll be lost when the poses are applied." Now I haven't actually tried this, but I suspect that if you left the deltaAddDelta lines out of the pz2, the pose might still work, but leave the deltaAddDelta ratio at it's original value.

PabloS ( ) posted Sun, 19 September 2004 at 7:51 PM

FyreSpiryt ( ) posted Sun, 19 September 2004 at 9:21 PM · edited Sun, 19 September 2004 at 9:24 PM

Ajax, when I tried it, it worked. I tried it with two characters wearing two overlapping clothing items each, and all the clothing items kept following their figures, and each character could be posed without affecting the other's clothes. I'm hesitant to say it'll work all the time, because as soon as I do the planets will fall out of alignment and it'll break. ; ) But it did work when I tried it.

Les, that's a good idea. I don't have anything to try it on, but if someone does and can give it a shot, I'd like to hear the results.

Oh, for the record, I did find a third down side. 3) For these particular JCM-connecting poses to work, the clothing JCMs have to be named the same as V3 and M3's. Just freaked myself out with a clothing item that had them named differently. ;) ("Ah, crap, I broke it! What'd I do?! ... Oh.") New ones can be made for clothing with differently named dials, though.

Message edited on: 09/19/2004 21:24

Shadow_Fyre ( ) posted Sun, 19 September 2004 at 11:24 PM

Staby ( ) posted Mon, 20 September 2004 at 3:28 AM

Bookmark

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Mon, 20 September 2004 at 6:34 AM · edited Mon, 20 September 2004 at 6:35 AM

TrekkieFindMe (Just a bookmark)

Message edited on: 09/20/2004 06:35

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

chriscox ( ) posted Mon, 20 September 2004 at 10:59 AM
Online Now!

This is similar to what I found with Full Body Morphs, only I've been using "Figure" with no number instead of "Figure 1" in the Partial Body Morphs and because they were controlled by FBMs the following line was "Body:1". Clothing set up this way will cross talk with the figure that is selected when the clothing is loaded and multiple figures with clothing can be used together in a scene. This works well with figure that already have all the morphs in them such as Mike or Vicky 2. But with figure that use injection poses I had to edit the poses themselves with Figure and Body:1. But I was working with Anna the Aeon teen and her growth morphs seemed to work without needing to edit the poses, but the scaling part of her growth was getting shut down in any figures loaded after the first figure. Further experiments with using this on figures using injection poses are needed. Also to preserve this functionality if a scene is saved a null figure needs to be the first thing loaded into scene. Chris Cox

Chris Cox

Jim Burton ( ) posted Mon, 20 September 2004 at 6:25 PM

Hey, great! Gee, I thought I tried this, and it didn't work, I'm glad you got it figured out! This also open the possability of having JCM work properly on mutiple figures - if the 2nd figure was loaded right after the first (before anything else in the scene), and ANOTHER, similar pose changed all the nembers in the clothing conformed to it to :2 and Figure 2... I'll have to make up some poses for Ingenue and Glamorous Vickie (who have more JCM channel than V3) and try this out.

Jim Burton ( ) posted Mon, 20 September 2004 at 8:42 PM

I just did some playing around with this idea, it looks like the deltaAddDelta line has to be in there, else it doesn't work (probably why I couldn't get to work when I tried it awhile ago. I would have thought otherwise, for sure. I did make up a pose to point all the JCM to figure 2, that part worked fine in Poser 5, I guess it would in Poser 4/PP to, which would mean you could get JCM working on a second figure, which normally is a problem. The downside is, because the deltaAdddelta lines are going to be hard-coded into the pose there is going to be problems with clothing that has "adjusted" them, to get the morphs to work. For those who have never made JCM clothing let me say it isn't easy, often you have to fudge stuff, and breakout the up and down breast morphs into two seperate channels, for instance.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.