Mon, Sep 9, 7:17 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 6:38 am)

Subject: Can a virus do this ? (Poser connected, not totally OT)

compiler ( ) posted Sun, 26 September 2004 at 4:39 PM ยท edited Fri, 16 August 2024 at 11:38 PM

I have completely lost my !DAZ file. I don't remember having deleted it. So I digged out my back up HD and copied it back. Now, in my trash folder, there is a file from this HD. I don't remember having deleted it either. Is there a virus out there that can put one of your files randomly in the trash ? If so, is there a way to take it out ? (I'm on WindowsXP pro, Norton Internet security) (or it could be the first signs of Alzheimer's disease, but this one's not caused by a virus). Thanks in advance for your help.

AmbientShade ( ) posted Sun, 26 September 2004 at 5:37 PM

I'm not going to say its not possible, but I've never heard of a virus deleting files and putting them in the recycle bin. Room mates and family members do though. They're kind'a like viruses sometimes. Its possible you deleted a folder at some point in the past that had those files in them. Just open the trash bin, click on each file you need back and right-click restore. Should send it back to where ever it was deleted from. If a virus deletes a file, it usually destroys it completely.

dlk30341 ( ) posted Sun, 26 September 2004 at 5:57 PM

You can also just click on it & drag it Back to it's orginal location. I've done that several times today as a matter of fact LOL.

lmckenzie ( ) posted Mon, 27 September 2004 at 6:29 AM

I haven't heard of a Poser specific virus (yet), so as you say, it would probably be a random file deleter. Usually, the ones I've heard of tend to go after specific types of files like jpgs though. If your AV is up to date and comes back clean, I'd tend to think it was simply one of those random operational errors that computers are all to subject to, especially if you experienced any kind of crash or abnormal event during the same time frame. OldTimer's disease though may be just as likely a cause. Try making the file read only (if Poser will tolerate it) as a precaution. Have you done anything lately to offend Vicky? Her highness has been known to exact various punishments for infidelity. I suggest doing a suitable temple render in offering just to be on the safe side.

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

compiler ( ) posted Mon, 27 September 2004 at 7:04 AM

I guess I must have inadvertantly pushed this file in another location. Old age strikes early at times... As for Vickie, I spend the equivalent of the Vanuatu Islands budget to buy her clothes and friends. That should keep her wrath away from me. I have also seen some commercials proposing to buy some form of spiritual protection for computers (amulets made in a shinto temple in Japan). May be it's time to get me one...

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.