Sun, Oct 6, 6:43 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: http://www.cyberfx.com - DAZ3D - Scanning in Boston...

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Wed, 06 October 2004 at 5:13 PM · edited Thu, 03 October 2024 at 1:46 PM

This website has offered me a head scan for $350, but does want to touch Poser with a 10' pole! And they are all the way over on the West Coast. Can anyone help me get an idea of what it's then going to take to adapt thier scan to my DAZ M2? Or would anybody have any contacts near Massachusetts, to have this done at home? = )

drhess ( ) posted Wed, 06 October 2004 at 5:31 PM

What do you mean head scan?

drhess ( ) posted Wed, 06 October 2004 at 5:34 PM

Oh, I see. Well why not just do it the old fashion way and take pictures and make a map?

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Wed, 06 October 2004 at 5:35 PM

I take it that you want to use the scan data to create a head morph on M2? That's going to be painful. $350 for the scan and then six months turning the 250,000 point cloud (or whatver the number) from the scan into 10,530 points that match M2's head vertices in exact order and index (or taking the two and moving M2's head vertices to match as closely as possible the envelope of the point cloud). Wouldn't it be simpler and cheaper just to...

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Contact Me | Kuroyume's DevelopmentZone

R_Hatch ( ) posted Thu, 07 October 2004 at 2:48 AM · edited Thu, 07 October 2004 at 2:55 AM

...pay Danny Devito for an hour of donkey impressions? Y'know, Kuroyume, sometimes I wonder about you ;p Seriously, though; this is not a good idea. As Kuroyume stated above, the data/object you will get from the scan will be completely unusable in Poser. You will need a very powerful computer to edit it, and will not be very likely to convert it to an M3 morph. So my serious continuation to Kuroyume is: ... use magnets and/or existing morph targets to get an approximation. It will still not be easy (unless you already look similar to M3), but it will be far easier, and much less expensive than the cyberscan.

Message edited on: 10/07/2004 02:55

xantor ( ) posted Thu, 07 October 2004 at 9:29 AM

You could stick the head on the m2 character instead of his head, but that would be difficult, too. $350 is a lot to pay just for a head IMO.

Penguinisto ( ) posted Thu, 07 October 2004 at 10:39 AM
  1. Take two photos of yourself: head-on and in profile. Make sure your head is the same distance from the camera lens in both shots, and that you do not change any camera settings (aperture, shutter, whatever) between the two shots.Make sure the images are the exact same size as well. 2) open Poser, and import Mike (or Vicky, or whoever.) 3) bring in two one-sided square props, and set them up so that one cuts the head in half length-wise, and the other cuts the head in half width-wise. 4) texture each with the appropriate image, and size the head or move the squares until you have each lining up with the head... you'll know when you've got 'em lined up right. 5) using morph dials and magnets as needed, tweak the model to look like your own head. 6) save the results as a morph. HTH, /P

duanemoody ( ) posted Thu, 07 October 2004 at 11:42 AM

You're welcome, Penguinisto. For the record, no one's ever actually told me they use this ancient (4 years old this month) technique or whether they find it useful or not.

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Thu, 07 October 2004 at 1:18 PM

Actually, people use the orthographic photo/drawing technique all the time to make models, especially where proportional and subtle shape accuracy are required.

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Contact Me | Kuroyume's DevelopmentZone

Penguinisto ( ) posted Thu, 07 October 2004 at 1:43 PM

yup - but duane laid it out pretty good - I'd forgot who had originally done the tutorial on it. My only quibble would be to have both front and profile views, so that the face matches up in 3 dimensions better (a top view would be cool too, but unless you want to shave your head, it would be kinda useless as a guide. Maybe a bottom view of the face?) nce the views are done, perhaps a bit of (small!) tweaking with a mirror as a guide would help to ouch things up a bit. /P

jeffg3 ( ) posted Thu, 07 October 2004 at 4:10 PM

Another option is to schedule plastic surgery to make ones facial features conform to the desires M2 or M3 figure. May be less painful in the long run.

diolma ( ) posted Thu, 07 October 2004 at 5:03 PM

ROFLMAO @ jeffg3!!

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Sat, 09 October 2004 at 12:52 PM

Thanks all! These are all very well put opinions, I think I'll have to agree with! Facegen.com also has an interesting offer. You buy face credits for like $2, then you hop online with thier demo and you can use thier website to create an MT, for DAZ Figures..., from one or two photos. The only drawback is that the cast to Export is like $400 for thier full version. = )

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.