Sun, Sep 22, 12:34 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Refractions?

binder ( ) posted Sat, 02 December 2000 at 8:29 PM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 12:31 PM

this feature in bryce (refractions) has been bothering me for a while.....does refraction only affect glass like materials?....or is there something more to it?.....and know that it might seem like a silly question...but I just need to know if I'm using this feature to all it's worth and not just using it for glass.....can anyone explain.....thanks for listening and PeaCe.........

How dare you speak to my sensei in that way!!  prepare yourself!

myGallery 

Doom Dancer ( ) posted Tue, 05 December 2000 at 12:33 PM

Eeef...I may be sticking my foot in my mouth somewhat but, here it goes anyway. Refraction is the way light seems to "bend" objects (especially when part of it is placed in water). The Refraction mode will mostly effect stuff that is placed in or under a water plane or volume water. In the geometric view of Bryce the object may look like it is in one place but, when you render it seems to be somewhere (a little left, right, forward or backward). To see a really good example of refraction watch Discovery channel or stuff like that and watch divers go underwater with a camera or the Croc Hunter's camera man when they are tracking something on the water's surface. The more refraction you add the more it will seem to bend or split (if your camera is placed at water level). I hope that was a little clearer than the mud it sounded like. Cheers.

jade_nyc ( ) posted Wed, 06 December 2000 at 1:54 PM

Check out 3D Lapidary - www.3dlapidary.com. There is a comprehensive explanation of refraction indexes along with a list of RI for various materials as well as images showing how refraction affects various materials. Also, lots of presets for gemstone materials. Jade

binder ( ) posted Wed, 06 December 2000 at 3:02 PM

thank you guys...doom you did a good job explaining it to me.....and that site you recommended helped alot...thanks jade....and the materials are nice as well.....

How dare you speak to my sensei in that way!!  prepare yourself!

myGallery 

Doom Dancer ( ) posted Thu, 07 December 2000 at 6:59 AM

Anytime

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.