Sat, Sep 21, 2:39 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: Itsumama Leaving Rendy

itsumama ( ) posted Wed, 01 December 2004 at 11:29 PM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 2:36 AM

I just wanted to let anyone who visits my gallery on a regular basis, that I have decided to leave Rendy. Although I enjoy the comraderie, I worry about my images being taken without my permission. Easy access on the web is a reality we all need to think about. If you want to find me, do a search on Google for Barbara Brands and it will bring up my gallery on www.betterphoto.com. Thank you for your friendship and input. ~~~m(^)m~~~~ take care a U......barbara

cynlee ( ) posted Wed, 01 December 2004 at 11:54 PM · edited Wed, 01 December 2004 at 11:55 PM

hmmm... I just posted a notice on my artist page today stating not to reproduce my photos without my express permission, as just this week I've been finding my work being used in 2 different blogs... I do understand your feelings... it was suggested to me to start posting smaller with less quality or use the logo thingy embedded in the image... difficult compromise to make... your work has been truly outstanding & you'll be missed :(

Message edited on: 12/01/2004 23:55

DHolman ( ) posted Thu, 02 December 2004 at 2:55 AM

Barbara - Always sad to see a good photographer go. Hope you'll stop in from time to time. I won't try to change your mind, but I will warn you that the protection of your images on betterphoto.com is just slightly better than no protection at all. The kind of protection sites like betterphoto.com offers is misleading and in my opinion gives a false sense of security. It's sort of like putting plastic wrap across your windows. Will only keep out those who weren't going to break into your house anyway. Take care. -=>Donald

LostPatrol ( ) posted Thu, 02 December 2004 at 4:50 AM

Hi Barbra Sorry to hear you are going. Unfortunately at this time there is no way to protect your images on-line, there is always a way to get them for a determined image thief. www.betterphoto.com uses a java no right click script, turn off java on your browser and take your image it is as simple as that. Or alternatively go into your browsers cache and look for the images you have viewed. These methods work fine for some maybe even most everyday surfers but they are not really the people you are up agenised. I have been involved in this issue for the past 18 months and it is of great concern to many people. Where we set up pages with different security methods and then try to take images, so far we have failed to produce a security that is 100% foolproof. We are just a bunch of guys doing our best to try to stop the tide. Possibly the three best methods are: 1.To make a transparent gif and place it over your image (not possible with RR) so that the user right clicks and saves a blank image. 2.Selective compression that degrades an image to the extent that it looks ok on screen but is very poor printed. 3.To add a spoiler right across the image (horrible I know) but only the very desperate will try to remove it. Another method we have used is digital signatures imbedded in an image that can be tracked across the web; however this can be removed by people in the know and if the image is re-named it doesnt work. Unfortunately in the end the image thiefs are very well versed in image theft, the only 100% way to secure your work if you have concerns about image theft is dont put them on the web at all. Keeping your images both physically and digitally small will render them useless for quality print, but look ok on screen is still the best defence. IMHO LP

The Truth is Out There

Misha883 ( ) posted Thu, 02 December 2004 at 7:56 AM

I will be really sorry to see you go. I can't add more insight into the security issue than has already been said. Digital Rights Management is a big issue for a lot of folks. Please don't blame 'rendo for lacking something which really cannot be achieved. Or, at least cannot be achieved without an Act of Congress, and considerable expense. [I'd like to have an invisible code embedded in all of my images that would direct the browser to transfer two pennies into my bank account everytime someone viewed the image. Then I'd encourage EVERYONE to copy! Numerous implementation challenges...]

itsumama ( ) posted Thu, 02 December 2004 at 8:10 AM

Thank you for the encouragement and as always the great input! But please don't get me wrong, I am not blaming Rendy!!!!! I know that as long as things are out there, a fella (as my uncle used to say) would be kidding himself if he thought they were safe. Misha...I LOVE your idea!!! Barbs

Apophis906 ( ) posted Thu, 02 December 2004 at 12:27 PM

Oh well dang, so sorry to see you go, always looked forward to seeing your work,especially those drop shots you make. I understand your fear, but like many have said their is always a way around it no matter how good the security. If any securty was foolproof then an entire department of the military would not exist. Its a shame that some would use others work and claim it as their own. Sadly nothing you do short of LostPatrol's idea of a tag across the image will deture many,and then some will still try. I think if some of these people spent as much time trying to take a photo as they do trying to steal one,they would have some nice photos.

Tedz ( ) posted Thu, 02 December 2004 at 3:40 PM

Good Luck to You....and yep....even with My limited knowledge.....I believe Images are "lifted...en masse"....but, I have never seen Mine anywhere....I wonder why :[

Sylvaine ( ) posted Thu, 02 December 2004 at 5:10 PM

Well Barbare...sorry to see a member like you leaving...What can I tell you ?....Have been so many time faked that actually I only think...that lake of imagination or masturbation make some thieves...survive...I fight so many time as professional for my rights but never against dummy...But against Advertiser, And some rare Photography Agency....Now Must say I dont care anymore....Feel rather flattered... Actually its impossible with all the multimedia material,,...to protect yourself...even If you build your private site...The copyright of Adobe is Zero... You must keep one thing in your hearth...is to REMAIN YOURSELF HONEST...

deemarie ( ) posted Sat, 04 December 2004 at 11:11 AM

We at Renderosity are very sadden by your decision to remove your images from your Rosity Gallery, however, we can appreciate your reasons for wishing to do so. I wish that there was a fool-proof method that would prevent art thieves from stealing internet artwork - but as of this posting there really is no way to totally prevent others from stealing your artwork if it is posted online. If you have had art stolen from your Rosity galleries, please let us know right away, and we will do everything possible to get the thieves to remove your images from their site. Wishing you the very best Your images will be missed greatly. Sincerely Dee-Marie

WardXmodem ( ) posted Sun, 05 December 2004 at 7:46 PM

You were one of my favorites! Sorry to see you go! Others might do as I did - Demonika (?) had a wonderful painting, I was so appreciative I said I might print it some day, would she take $20, she said yes, and I sent her via paypal, but so far haven't felt like using that much black ink (haha)... Enjoyed your stuff, will continue to look for it at your new location.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.