Mon, Oct 21, 5:01 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 21 4:13 pm)

Subject: The fantasy and SF art world has lost a 'gremlin'

Charlie_Tuna ( ) posted Mon, 03 January 2005 at 6:26 PM · edited Sat, 19 October 2024 at 11:42 PM

Attached Link: http://my.aol.com/news/news_story.psp?type=4&cat=0800&id=2005010315030001321120

the story is at the (real long) URL :-(

Why shouldn't speech be free? Very little of it is worth anything.

slinger ( ) posted Mon, 03 January 2005 at 7:26 PM

Damn! I never knew his name, but I certainly knew his work. What a sad loss.

The liver is evil - It must be punished.

hauksdottir ( ) posted Mon, 03 January 2005 at 7:44 PM

It is a very sad loss to the science fiction world. We don't think of Kelly as a comic artist, but as the creator of so many covers. He was always a gentleman. He always had a sharp sense of humor. I'll never forget the phone call where he asked me to do a piece of work for him... I replied "shouldn't that be the other way around?". But he was just made the art director for Writers of the Future and needed a dozen stories illustrated within the week by artists he thought were up & coming. He sent a 12,000 word manuscript... the story concerned a ghost in the flux drive for a spaceship powered by DaVincian mechanics and operated by Victorians... it had everything but the kitchen sink. I tucked a kitchen sink in the art, and it was the first thing he noticed. ;^) I'm going to miss him. He knew what people liked in their space scenes: elegant women, bright colors, intriguing aliens, and he gave us that with style and wit and the polish born of many many decades of professionalism. Carolly

Charlie_Tuna ( ) posted Mon, 03 January 2005 at 8:07 PM

I can tell his work, almost on sight, just need to see any larger stars, he had an almost unique way of doing large starlights. I have several of his covers signed :)

Why shouldn't speech be free? Very little of it is worth anything.

wheatpenny ( ) posted Mon, 03 January 2005 at 8:53 PM
Site Admin

I never "heard" of him, but I'm quite familiar with his art (I just never had any idea who produced it). Carolly, that's really cool that you got to do some work for him, too. Well, at least he had a long and productive life.

Jeff

Renderosity Senior Moderator

Hablo español

Ich spreche Deutsch

Je parle français

Mi parolas Esperanton. Ĉu vi?

xantor ( ) posted Mon, 03 January 2005 at 9:07 PM

That is sad, I remember seeing his name in some of the older mad magazines (reprints).

Lawndart ( ) posted Tue, 04 January 2005 at 1:32 AM

Kelly was a very nice man. A bit off beat. I liked that about him. I had the pleasure of treating him and his wife to dinner at Dragon*con a couple of years ago. They were a lot of fun. That is one of the moments in my life I won't forget. You could tell that his wife loved him dearly. She also made a point of taking care of his every need. Joe

Letterworks ( ) posted Tue, 04 January 2005 at 1:56 AM

Frank Kelly Freas is my favorite artist. His was the first "Art" book I ever bought, back when I was young. TO this day I tend to buy any book with one of his covers, wheither I read it or not. It's a sad day for sci-fi and art to loose his talent and I will personally miss his work. Mike

rowan_crisp ( ) posted Tue, 04 January 2005 at 2:11 AM

Whoa. I saw his work for most of my early life and didn't even know it. This is a loss.

Dale B ( ) posted Tue, 04 January 2005 at 6:02 AM

And so passes another member of First Fandom....but you sure as hell can't be the company he's in now.

Lunaseas ( ) posted Tue, 04 January 2005 at 6:40 AM

My heart goes out to Laura, they were a couple very much in love with each other. He was a great man, very sweet and encouraging to me. I shall miss him.

Lunaseas ( ) posted Tue, 04 January 2005 at 6:41 AM

My heart goes out to Laura, they were a couple very much in love with each other. He was a great man, very sweet and encouraging to me. I shall miss him.

mrsparky ( ) posted Tue, 04 January 2005 at 5:07 PM

He was one the greats. The cover for Queen is one of those classic images.

Pinky - you left the lens cap of your mind on again.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.