Thu, Sep 19, 9:53 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 9:52 pm)

Subject: Render bug

sjmills ( ) posted Mon, 17 January 2005 at 10:38 AM ยท edited Thu, 01 August 2024 at 8:39 PM

file_170551.jpg

Sorry if this is a common question, but I searched for "render bug" and found nothing about this.

When using the FireFly engine at the following settings, I get some error artifacts on what I think are bucket boundaries.

Use displacement maps on
Minimum displacement bound 0
Raytracing on
Case Shadows on
Smooth polygons on
Remove backfacing polygons off
Use texture filtering off
Minimum shading rate .5
Maximum texture resolution 4096
Pixel samples 6
Bucket size 32
Raytrace bounces 4
Post filter size 4
Post filter type sinc

The object pictured is a 1-sided square (the front side obviously:) with a pretty simple material and a few lights. The rest of the scene is quite complicated (22.7M compressed).

Earlier in this project (the first big one since upgrading to P5) I had the Pixel Samples set to the max (12) and kept getting crashes during renders. Through trial and error I found I had to keep that setting lower to prevent the crash. I assume that if the max setting didn't crash, it would produce better subpixel antialiasing on bucket boundaries.

Thoughts?

msg24_7 ( ) posted Mon, 17 January 2005 at 12:17 PM

Thoughts? Yes ;) Either use the HiRes square or connect a math node to displacement and set it to something like 0.001. That should help getting rid of those strange whatever :)

Yesterday's the past, tomorrow's the future, but today is a gift. That's why it's called the present.

stewer ( ) posted Mon, 17 January 2005 at 3:25 PM

For a start, I'd recommend simply setting the displacement bounds to 1.0 - that might fix it.

sjmills ( ) posted Tue, 18 January 2005 at 8:37 PM

Doesn't setting displacement bounds to 1 mean that any displacement higher than 1 will get clipped, resulting in a hole? BTW, I haven't tried replacing the 1-sided square with a HiRes square, but I doubt it would help the problem, because today I noticed the same bucket edge rendering bug on a V3 body part, which probably has a lot more vertices than the square, and it has some bump on the skin, so it's not totally flat. This really looks more like a subpixel render bug when rendering on one edge of the current bucket (the 32x32 (or whatever) area being rendered). It might help if I could turn the pixel samples up to 12, but that crashes me on lots of different documents.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.