Mon, Sep 9, 6:08 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 2:22 am)

Subject: Obj export snafu with Poser Pro Pack

GROINGRINDER ( ) posted Sun, 06 February 2005 at 4:14 PM · edited Mon, 09 September 2024 at 4:33 AM

I have Pro Pack and when I try to export an obj that has been through uv mapper, to preserve the grouping when it opens in Bryce, the "include existing groups...." option is never available to me. I have tried clearing all the check boxes, then checking the "include existing groups.." box, but that does not work either. I recently went to do Dr. Geep's "Robox" tut which calls for exporting the mannequin with this option checked, but I could not get Poser to do it. What is the secret folks? Somebody has to know what it is.

ockham ( ) posted Sun, 06 February 2005 at 4:42 PM

That's a new one.... I've never seen that box unavailable. Just tried a variety of OBJ's, some with groups and some without, some from UV and some not, some with separate MTLs but not separate groups. In every case the "include existing groups" check was available.

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

GROINGRINDER ( ) posted Sun, 06 February 2005 at 4:49 PM

Thanks for trying. That is not encouraging.

GROINGRINDER ( ) posted Sun, 06 February 2005 at 4:51 PM

Ockham are you using Pro Pack, or Poser 5?

ockham ( ) posted Sun, 06 February 2005 at 4:56 PM

Propack. Have you used the Grouping tool to see if your obj really does have groups? Or looked at the text of the OBJ file itself to see if something strange is there?

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

geep ( ) posted Sun, 06 February 2005 at 5:14 PM · edited Sun, 06 February 2005 at 5:16 PM

re: " ... it opens in Bryce, the "include existing groups...." option is never available to me."

Is it possible, just possible, that it is Bryce related?

Hmmm ... Perhaps posing this question in the [ CLICK LINK ---> ]Bryce Forum would be more productive.

Just a thought.

cheers,
dr geep
;=]

Message edited on: 02/06/2005 17:16

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

GROINGRINDER ( ) posted Sun, 06 February 2005 at 6:41 PM

I am trying to get it to export with the group names intact, and cannot get Poser Pro Pack to do it. Even when using it's own manneqin figure, I cannot export with the "include existing groups.." option checked. The option is right there in front of me, but I cannot put a check in the box. I have used the grouping tool to check and all the groups are there that I would expect to be there, but if I export with the options that Poser Pro Pack lets me access, then the groupings are lost.

geep ( ) posted Sun, 06 February 2005 at 7:02 PM

Well, I hate to say it but ... ... the only thing I can suggest is to reload PPP. Sorry. ;=[ cheers, (anyway) dr geep ;=]

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Sun, 06 February 2005 at 8:16 PM

In Windows, you sometimes have to go to the taskbar and back to Poser to get back your ability to check options in the Wavefront OBJ export. Maybe?

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Contact Me | Kuroyume's DevelopmentZone

GROINGRINDER ( ) posted Sun, 06 February 2005 at 8:44 PM

Never heard of that kuroyume0161, but I will give it a try. Thanks to all for trying to help. We will see.

GROINGRINDER ( ) posted Sun, 06 February 2005 at 9:28 PM

Attached Link: Cessna A37

HIP,HIP, HOORAY!!![tongue.gif](http://market.renderosity.com/~carrara/emoticons/tongue.gif) HIP,HIP, HOORAY!!![tongue.gif](http://market.renderosity.com/~carrara/emoticons/tongue.gif) HIP,HIP, HOORAY!!![tongue.gif](http://market.renderosity.com/~carrara/emoticons/tongue.gif) Now I can proceed to do Dr Geeps Robox tut and learn how to turn the airplane prop at the link into an actual Poser Figure. Thanks to all, but especially kuroyume0161.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Mon, 07 February 2005 at 3:38 PM

"In Windows, you sometimes have to go to the taskbar and back to Poser to get back your ability to check options in the Wavefront OBJ export. Maybe?" Hey, I remember this one. Somebody once said that opening the clock will help. Weird.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

lmckenzie ( ) posted Wed, 09 February 2005 at 12:57 AM

This should be in the FAQ if it isn't already. You often have to open or switch to another application to access all the .obj option checkboxes. Odd bug obviously perpetuated in PP.

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Wed, 09 February 2005 at 1:49 AM

And I still have it in Poser 5!

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Contact Me | Kuroyume's DevelopmentZone

lmckenzie ( ) posted Wed, 09 February 2005 at 3:30 AM

Why break it if it ain't fixed?

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.