Thu, Sep 19, 3:14 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 17 9:46 am)

Subject: The best lighting I have made so far (Vue5) (not that that is saying much)

tlaloc321 ( ) posted Sun, 13 March 2005 at 7:36 PM ยท edited Tue, 03 September 2024 at 8:28 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

file_200054.jpg

You know how lots of people got Vue 5 and tried all kinds of crazy images for HDRI image based lighting? I had the inspiration to try a large all black image with a big white spot on it. I think the results are very interesting. Once you have the map loaded up for IBL, you can highlight everything in your picture including the camera and spin it to change the position of the light. You cant effectively change the image position so just spin everything in your scene. Now the only thing to work out is how you have to fill the scene from top to bottom for this to work otherwise you see the image map in the background and I dont want to see the image map since it is a black void with a big white spot on one end. Let me know if you have any solutions or if this is something you have known about for months, or if it is something you are trying.

gaz170170 ( ) posted Sun, 13 March 2005 at 7:49 PM

Interesting experiment...may give this a go

sittingblue ( ) posted Mon, 14 March 2005 at 8:33 AM

That is interesting. It seems like you can add lights by adding spots on the image map, huh?

Charles

gaz170170 ( ) posted Mon, 14 March 2005 at 11:22 AM

I am having trouble uploading images here, but just tried a quick example and got pretty good results. Thanks for the heads up tlaloc321, and for the kind words in your IM

plmcelligott ( ) posted Mon, 14 March 2005 at 4:51 PM

You should be able to use a different image for your backdrop. Am I wrong?

tlaloc321 ( ) posted Mon, 14 March 2005 at 5:05 PM

That is the thing, as far as I can tell (and I have read this on the net as well) when you set up Vue 5 to do an IBL thing with either Global Illumination or Global Radiosity you are stuck with that image pasted on a sphere surrounding your models. You can put a 2d plane or mountain or building or something up to block the IBL image but you can't use skies in the background. You can choose not to have Vue paste the IBL image onto the ground plane but as far as I can tell that is it. If anyone knows differently please let us know.

gaz170170 ( ) posted Mon, 14 March 2005 at 5:17 PM

You could always render a sky in Vue, then use that as an alpha plane...just a thought, or as I like to do, use a real world photo :-)

tlaloc321 ( ) posted Mon, 14 March 2005 at 5:25 PM

now i have to admit my complete lack of knowledge - I need to go get schooled on alpha planes :( Thank you.

gaz170170 ( ) posted Tue, 15 March 2005 at 10:11 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

file_200056.jpg

Finally able to upload pix again (swapped to Firefox browser). Here`s a quick render using a simple image for lighting

gaz170170 ( ) posted Tue, 15 March 2005 at 10:13 AM

file_200057.jpg

and here`s the image used for lighting. Simple but effective. Tlaloc321...do you want a few pointers with regards the use of alpha planes?

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.