Thu, Sep 19, 3:16 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 2:39 pm)

Subject: A new contest for the release of P6

tlaloc321 ( ) posted Mon, 14 March 2005 at 9:45 PM · edited Thu, 12 September 2024 at 5:25 AM

I would like to propose a new contest. The winner will be the first person to post a render of Jesse to the Poser gallery at Renderosity. Obviously anyone who has early access to the content is excluded from the competition. This will be interesting because it will be an anti technique and talent contest. Like being the Nth caller in a radio contest. The winner will no doubt be posting a low res as possible unclothed, untextured, hairless, 800X600 or lower, Poser figure in the zero position, probably rendered in the Poser 4 draft mode. Oh wait, bad idea, cause at 12:01 on the day of the download release of Poser 6 the poser gallery would be flooded with identical uploads all at the same time. There would be pages and pages of nearly identical images, it might even bring down the site. On a more serious note what is Curious Labs going to do on the day they release the download version of P6? Can they possibly handle all the pre order folks who will be demanding the bits and bytes simultaneously from their servers? Should I go to work the next day instead of take the day off like I was planning? How long might it take to actually be able to download the installer files? Thanks.

PapaBlueMarlin ( ) posted Mon, 14 March 2005 at 9:52 PM

LOL... I got the box set over the download version. Even with cable, its simply not fast enough. I suggest you consider your internet connection and judge from there. It might take a few hours to download the files. As far as work goes, I'm sure that they can do without you for a day :)

tlaloc321 ( ) posted Mon, 14 March 2005 at 9:59 PM

I get good speed on my cable, just tested it now at 3729.4 kbps which from what I understand is faster than cable is supposed to be. I was going to switch to DSL since who really cares how fast it is once you are over 1500 kbps but I am going to wait until after I download P6. I don't think you could be in this community without a high speed connection. I mean you could but, oh the pain... waiting for those 512k images to load... and I have a sneaky suspicion, admins could tell us for sure, that a lot of folks access this site from work? HMMMM... maybe?

ockham ( ) posted Mon, 14 March 2005 at 10:07 PM

I like the idea! To cut the overload, maybe we could separate it into three sub-contests. 1. The Nth person to discover a "defect" in Jessi, and loudly demand their money back plus punitive damages. 2. The Nth person to point out that the "defect" was not a flaw, just a difference from Vicki, and loudly demand that the moderators lock the threads posted by the (1.) contestants. 3. The Nth person who claims (accurately or not) to be a P6 beta tester, who says that he knows why the difference was created but won't tell the rest of us benighted outsiders what it's really for.

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

Gareee ( ) posted Mon, 14 March 2005 at 10:10 PM

I already saw a render of Sixu's robo boy character....

Way too many people take way too many things way too seriously.

tlaloc321 ( ) posted Mon, 14 March 2005 at 10:25 PM

But seriously guys and gals, those of you who maybe were around for the P5 release (dont know if it was downloadable on release day) should I expect a long wait to get the download - thats half the reason I signed up was to get it sooner. I remember those first tentative steps my hands shaking as I held the credit card when I downloaded and installed P5 last July. I immediately burned the whole thing to DVD lest my computer explode the moment the download finished. It was so exciting to see a poser figure for the first time at 3:00 PM and be learning to use the full version of the software by 4:00 PM. Then there was V3 and Bryce, and textures, and clothing, and on and on and on... more RAM, and on and on and Vue and on and on and now Shade and... UV mapper, I know it will never end but I don't want it to. And waiting for P6 is just the latest and greatest step taking me back to my CG infantcy.

hauksdottir ( ) posted Mon, 14 March 2005 at 10:33 PM

Attached Link: http://www.curiouslabs.com/imagecatalogue/customimageview/3671/?sbss=580&ReferrerURL=#

Why take the time to render from scratch? Just right-click on the Jessi face on their site and use PhotoShop to make an "artistic" edge effect. That is "a render", which would fulfill the terms of the contest. You didn't say original render! :evil grin: Despite being fairly local (75 miles), where I could camp on their doorstep at midnight, I ordered the boxed shippable version. Considering how overheated their servers are likely to be once the links go live, it might be possible to melt s'mores even from here! Carolly

operaguy ( ) posted Mon, 14 March 2005 at 10:48 PM

ockham LOL! It's funny because so true! I propose a new category....Nth poster to start a thread complaining I can't get Jessie's upper arm to bow inward and can't get the built-in shoulder pads to appear, and can't get the bent-straw effect inside her elbow what's wrong with this model I want my money back and you shipped another defective release. ::::: Opera :::::

tlaloc321 ( ) posted Mon, 14 March 2005 at 11:05 PM

Ah but hauksdottir those are professionally done renders by the CL people themselves. No amateur could ever hope to create art such as this. We could easily tell such posers from the positively palpable proper Poser posters by a quick glance.

hauksdottir ( ) posted Mon, 14 March 2005 at 11:09 PM

:giggle: I just thought about asking them to have a parking lot party at midnight. I wonder how many people would show up?

Belladzines ( ) posted Tue, 15 March 2005 at 12:18 AM

i access this site from work.. have to.... and i've got broadband so when i download i'll be leaving it overnight to download on its own and traffic on all lines should be light.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.