Sun, Sep 22, 2:32 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 1:44 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Stuck with old RDS on Mac/PC!? GOOD NEWS!!!

MartinC ( ) posted Sat, 20 January 2001 at 7:06 AM ยท edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 2:29 AM

Attached Link: http://www.eovia.com

It might affect others than me, so I just pass this on: I just received a message from the new Carrara owners Eovia that they will bring back a new RDS -> Carrara upgrade offer soon. Just visit their new site at http://www.eovia.com and register your e-mail address at the "Store" page, they will contact you then as soon as the upgrade is available. Viva Eovia,... :-) MartinC

ClintH ( ) posted Sat, 20 January 2001 at 8:56 AM

Nice isnt it Martin! Looks like Eovia is gonna do it right! Clint

Clint Hawkins
MarketPlace Manager/Copyright Agent

All my life I've been over the top ... I don't know what I'm doing ... All I know is I don't wana stop!
(Zakk Wylde (2007))

MartinC ( ) posted Sat, 20 January 2001 at 10:40 AM

There's nothing like being stuck with a localized RDS 5.0.2 on Mac... - crashes with OS9 - 5.0.2 -> 5.0.4 patch only works with the US version - 5.0.x -> 5.5 upgrade no longer available - old RDS -> Carrara upgrade no longer available Aaaargh!!!

bloodsong ( ) posted Sat, 20 January 2001 at 6:20 PM

hmmm... i dunno, i LIKE my rds! :) well, okay, i can go take a look at what they're doing. thanks, martin! :)

MartinC ( ) posted Sun, 21 January 2001 at 3:05 AM

Well... I LIKE it too, but keeping OS 8.6 only for running RDS is a bit annoying in the long term... In a perfect world, MetaCreations would have released an international updater before fading into obscurity, but now this is just the safety belt I always hoped someone would throw into my direction... :-)

graylensman ( ) posted Mon, 22 January 2001 at 7:38 AM

Hopefully, the "new" Carrara will be worth the upgrade bucks. Every post I see here with Carrara problems sound like REALLY BIG problems. Makes me glad now that I didn't take the plunge. Martin, sorry about your problems. I'm running RDS 5.04 under OS 9, but yes I'm in the US.

allfive ( ) posted Tue, 23 January 2001 at 11:33 PM

For us 5.02 "wanna be" users, why doesn't someone post the right patch so those of us on OS 9 can use RDS?

MartinC ( ) posted Wed, 24 January 2001 at 3:35 AM

Well - because it's not that easy to do... The original developers of RDS are probably gone with the wind now, and Eovia didn't buy the rights to RDS, so they can't do anything officially. OK, this is what we could try. If someone with RDS 5.0.2 (US) on Mac and the 5.0.4 patch would volunteer, we could give it a try. Graylensman!? MetaCreations claimed that 5.0.4 does nothing different to 5.0.2 than avoiding the OS9 bug during code startup. If this is true (and if the PPC code is identical between the localized versions - which is unfortunately unlikely), there might be a chance to create a universial patch. As I said above, the localized versions have most likely different code (like Poser which includes extra "foreign" code), so our chances are somewhere below 1%. Like the legendary german director Herbert Achternbusch once said: "We have no chance, but we will use it...!" :-) If you're interested, then please contact me directly by e-mail (or by this boards web-mail, just click on the "MartinC"). I would need to send you a Freeware tool called "ResCompare" and instructions what to do with it. You would need to - create a copy of a clean installed 5.0.2 - create a copy of a freshly patched 5.0.4 - use ResEdit to delete some specific resources out of both - use ResCompare to create a (small) patch file - mail the patch file to me Would it be legal? Well, about 99.9%... Technically it could be seen as some sort of code manipulation, but... I think it is save to say that the 5.0.2 bomb ist neither a feature nor an intended limitation, and the 5.0.2 -> 5.0.4 patch was freeware. I've been just thrown off a board because I voted in favour of copyright, so I just take myself the right to suggest ignoring the remaining 0.1%... :-) Chances are very very very small, I'm afraid, but... If anything comes out of this, I'll let you know here.

graylensman ( ) posted Wed, 24 January 2001 at 10:36 AM

I'll dig around to see where/if I kept the 5.0.2>5.0.4 patch.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.