Mon, Sep 9, 7:24 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 6:38 am)

Subject: Hopeful P6 hyperthreading question :)

Fugazi1968 ( ) posted Thu, 24 March 2005 at 5:28 AM · edited Thu, 29 August 2024 at 6:43 PM

Does anyone know whether P6 utilises P4's hyperthreading technology? Thanks :) John

Fugazi (without the aid of a safety net)

https://www.facebook.com/Fugazi3D

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Thu, 24 March 2005 at 6:02 AM

According to others, it does not take advantage of hyperthreading. It has no compatibility problems with the technology, though.

squid69 ( ) posted Thu, 24 March 2005 at 6:06 AM

I second Little Dragon's statement; Poser 6 does not see "two" processors, BUT task manager shows only 50% utilization when putting P6 through its paces (80% primary thread, 30% secondary thread)

randym77 ( ) posted Thu, 24 March 2005 at 6:24 AM

They said they tried, but it would require completely re-doing the code. They couldn't manage that this time. But they did say that hyperthreading would no longer slow Poser down.

Fugazi1968 ( ) posted Thu, 24 March 2005 at 6:45 AM

Thanks for the info guys, now the second question :) since it doesn't use hyperthreading would poser perform better if you turned hyperthreading off in the Bios. And if so, is it worth the effort :) John

thixen ( ) posted Thu, 24 March 2005 at 7:05 AM

does turning off HyperThreading speed up Poser 5?

randym77 ( ) posted Thu, 24 March 2005 at 7:57 AM

I don't know if anyone's ever tried. But hyperthreading does slow Poser 5 down, so turning it off might be worth a shot. Assuming you don't mind giving up the speed boost for other apps. Run a benchmark, and see how much difference it makes.

thixen ( ) posted Thu, 24 March 2005 at 9:09 AM

well if I can turn it off, then I can turn it on. Besides I'm not sure if the other major program I use supports HTing anyhow. I'll have to call Customer Support and find out.

svdl ( ) posted Thu, 24 March 2005 at 10:19 AM

I have experimented with hyperthreading and Poser 5 on my previous modeling rig. (P4 2.8 HTT FSB 800, 1.5 GB DDR400). The results: P5 runs definitely faster without hyperthreading. Stability is unchanged. The downside: when rendering in P5 without hyperthreading, the system becomes very unresponsive. The main advantage of hyperthreading is that you can have P5 render an image and still can use other apps, even if those are quite processor-intensive themselves.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

thixen ( ) posted Thu, 24 March 2005 at 10:44 AM

ok well thanks. I ususally don't do anything when I'm doing a full render anyhow so if I'm doind something that needs sped up then I can save turn off and then turn on when done.

Fugazi1968 ( ) posted Thu, 24 March 2005 at 12:55 PM

Thanks for all the feedback :) Now I'm home I have run a couple of tests. The render was set up (Jessie with one of her strand based hair props) set to Render on auto settings, one below Final. First render was with Hyperthreading took 15 minutes Second render with Hyperthreading disabled, dissapointingly took 15 minutes too. What a disapointment :) Oh well it was worth a thought. John :)

Fugazi1968 ( ) posted Thu, 24 March 2005 at 1:01 PM

oh my system is a P4 3ghz wirh a 1gb of ddr400.

thixen ( ) posted Thu, 24 March 2005 at 2:26 PM

With P6 that's what I would of expected. From what I've heard is that CL couldn't impliment any benifits from running P6 with HT on, but did manage to take out the disadvantages for running P6 with HT on. I'm going to do the same test with P5 when I get home. I'll keep you all posted. BTW My system is a dell p4 3ghz 1gb of ddr something (i don't know if it's 400 or what not off the top of my head. I'll have to check the packing slip)

svdl ( ) posted Thu, 24 March 2005 at 2:36 PM

Actually, the fact that P6 renders equally fast (or slow, depends on how you wish to view it) with or without hyperthreading is good! While it (still) doesn't support multiple CPUs, hyperthreading no longer hurts performance. So now you can launch another app while Poser is rendering, work with it comfortably, without slowing Poser down more than is necessary. I also tried Vue 4.5 Pro with and without hyperthreading. Vue supports multiple CPUs. With hyperthreading enabled, Vue detected and used 2 CPUs, but it was not a whit faster than without hyperthreading. The only advantage when working with hyperthreading in Vue is the smoother operation.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

Fugazi1968 ( ) posted Thu, 24 March 2005 at 3:56 PM

All interesting stuff :) I like to find out things. I gto on this tracj when one of my customers complained that his app wasnt running at full capacity. He's been giving me grief about it for ages. It's good to know a bit more about HT and it's effects on working. All in all it looks like a good thing to keep HT enabled :) so i can listen to music and play with poser without too much trouble :) Take care John

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.