Thu, Sep 19, 11:42 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 11:01 pm)

Subject: P6 poseable toes like or don't like them

EdW ( ) posted Thu, 07 April 2005 at 2:32 PM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 11:39 PM

file_215980.jpg

I was just wondering what you people think of P6's figures poseable toes. I think they are a waste of resources myself. Your opinions or ideas. The reason I'm asking is I reworked Jessie's feet and got rid of the poseable toes. The problem with this is that it breaks the conforming for the shoes and the morphs (what few that are included) no longer work. Would anyone be interested in the figure? If there seems to be enough interest, I'll encode the files and put them up in Free Stuff.

EdW ( ) posted Thu, 07 April 2005 at 2:34 PM

file_215982.jpg

Just another view

randym77 ( ) posted Thu, 07 April 2005 at 2:42 PM

Is this for the original Jessi's feet, or the updated-today Jessi's feet?

EdW ( ) posted Thu, 07 April 2005 at 2:49 PM

Forgot to add... these figures are the ones from the updater...

Dale B ( ) posted Thu, 07 April 2005 at 2:54 PM

It's one of those things that you usually don't -need-, but it's oh so nice to have when you do. I personally despise the Poser 'shovel foot'; that is one of the key giveaways that a model -is- from Poser. And the lack of flexibility can detract from a scene, if you ever make use of it in the first place.

randym77 ( ) posted Thu, 07 April 2005 at 3:06 PM

I'd be interested. It would be a nice option, for when the feet are out of view, or wearing shoes.

kennect ( ) posted Thu, 07 April 2005 at 11:13 PM

While the poseable toes are great I wish they would have offered an option for them to be poseable or lock them to act as they have done in the past and with current mil figures....I like to do poses with the figure sort of standing on the ball of their foot....This will be a nightmare with the P6 characters...I know the P5 characters had the same thing going on but they were so ugly I was never inspired to use them....James and Jessi have gotten more of my interest but this toe thing sort of turns me off to them considering what I typically do....

Dale B ( ) posted Fri, 08 April 2005 at 6:27 AM

Ummm... Judy and Don's feet has a global positioning morph of the front of the foot, so that you had the same flexion that all the other meshes have. I'm in the midst of migrating Poser off of PATA drives onto the SATA drives I have to use now (new mobo, and DO NOT use the SIIG PATA to SATA bridge boards; they will really screw up function of and NForce 3 chipset) so I can't check, but there -should- be the same type of morph present In J&J. If it was left off, that would pretty much make them incompatible with =any= BVH file out there (if memory serves, there should be ankle, foot and then toe morphs, associated with th ankle, ball of the foot, then the individual phalanges).

Gareee ( ) posted Fri, 08 April 2005 at 2:03 PM

I'm in favor of them, personally. Just like hand poseing is important from an artist's standpoint for expressing emotion, the toes can also be used as well. (Just depends if they are seen or not.) Google Burne Hogarth's Tarzan artwork for some excellent examples of using toe posing to enhance dynamic posing. Or Frazetta, or Mike Ploog as well. As far as resource waste? In a few years, we'll all have 3 or more gigs of ram, and faster computers anyway, so I'd rather have more, then less. But the joint setup in them was really bad, and needed fixing. (the toes, for example have only one bone for bending, and technically need 2.)

Way too many people take way too many things way too seriously.

kennect ( ) posted Fri, 08 April 2005 at 11:54 PM

Dale, Apparently that feature is still there....I just found it, I think....I just cared so little about Judy and Don I wasn't even interested in checking out them seriously....These characters are getting more of my attention....Without your comment I wouldn't have found this...Thanks so very much....

Dale B ( ) posted Sat, 09 April 2005 at 7:03 AM

You're welcome.... ;) And it's like Gareee said; you can get into some very subtle, but powerful characterization with the articulated toes. And throw the earlier Vallejo work into the mix, as well. Judy and Don really got a bum rap. People seem to forget that Posette and Dork have had years of people tinkering and morphing them to useability (How many remember Travelers morphs for Posette....and Ghu help her, Vickie 1 and her butt ugly morph set?). The P5 kiddies are excellent in animation. They need work, but almost any mesh does, unless you want to hear 'Oh. You used Vickie out of the box. Like all those others. Yawn'. With Judy+, Eternal Judy, and Handspan Studio's Amelia, you can really use the girl. Never mind the fact that at least Judy (out of all the 'official' Poser girls) has proper female tackle, which I notice Jessie seems to have lost along the way.... :P

EdW ( ) posted Sat, 09 April 2005 at 3:20 PM

Well... I guess I'm in the minority then. I seldom if ever do a still so to my way of thinking I doubt anyone would notice a toe in any animation unless they were the key part of the scene. Thanks for the comments. Now I have to go find this global positioning morph that I seem to have missed for all this time.

Dale B ( ) posted Sat, 09 April 2005 at 6:36 PM

Well, there's notice and there's notice. Hands get the time invested because they do so much. Feet are usually left in slippers at the minimum, simply because the main function is to be stood and walked upon; for the most part time used in articulating the foot doesn't make a huge impact. But do a modern dancer performing barefoot. Vickie is almost agonizing to watch in that circumstance, simply because she has shovels from the ankles down. The foot bends and flexes as it pushes the body around, and gets extra flexion added from bodymass trying to do what mass does, and stay in motion. The mind doesn't consciously analyze signals that subtle, but it does pick them up, and if they are not 'right', the mind will pitch a fit. That is the biggest hurdle in CG...not breaking the illusion. For this subject, well, most of the footwear ladies wear of the sandal variety are slip-ons, and if you ever watch, a large percentage play with them constantly. If they're nervous or excited, but are trying to sit still....well, it has to come out somewhere. Like a hand gesture, it can be a nice little characterization item. Or it can be a time hog and utter waste of same.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.