Mon, Oct 21, 5:57 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 21 3:28 pm)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: Jeff, tell me how to get rid of the 'delete' next to my posts

BillyGoat ( ) posted Fri, 26 January 2001 at 5:36 PM · edited Sun, 28 July 2024 at 1:30 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains violence

I'm lame enough as it is... Thanks - I know how silly it looks!

JeffH ( ) posted Fri, 26 January 2001 at 5:41 PM

You can't really; if you deleted something the text is just taken out of public view.

BillyGoat ( ) posted Fri, 26 January 2001 at 5:43 PM

at least i'm an original!

doozy ( ) posted Fri, 26 January 2001 at 7:29 PM

Only the person who posted it can delete it. So you see "delete" only on your own posts. And I see it only on my psots.

pdblake ( ) posted Sat, 27 January 2001 at 3:05 AM

How comes it isn't actually deleted now? It always used to be. Now we have loads of 'empty' posts hanging around all over, surely it makes sense to get rid of them completely.

MartinC ( ) posted Sat, 27 January 2001 at 3:23 AM

JeffH, what is the exact state of "deletion" now...? I recently made a reply to the Carrara forum with some typos, and replied a better version immediately and then deleted the wrong one above. Guess what!? The wrong one disappeared forever!! (It's neither listed in the messages overview, nor in the thread itself, it is just gone - hurray!!). Do you now have "time limit" which allows permanent deletion within the first minutes!? That'll be VERY VERY GOOD!!! :-)

JeffH ( ) posted Sat, 27 January 2001 at 4:03 AM

If you remember back to September, messages were going missing and there were alot of complaints and accusations about who deleted them. Well, now a record is kept of who deletes what and that is shown in place of the original message. If you lose a message it's probably due to a glitch or a session time-out. -JH.

MartinC ( ) posted Sat, 27 January 2001 at 3:16 PM

Jeff, this is a misunderstanding - I'm not complaining that a message was lost, I'm perfectly happy that it was gone... :-) I do understand that you try to keep record of deleted posts if they were wiped out some time afterwards, but it is terribly annoying if every bit is kept in cases of simple typos. I'm a terrible writer and love to correct my stuff, but I don't want to leave a trail of umpteenth "message was deleted" posts. There was talk about this with rcook some time ago, and the suggestion has been to allow (maybe) editing or (at least) deletion within a little time limit, and if no one has already answered. That sounded very reasonable, and now I thought it was built in (see my note on the Carrara post). If I got you right it was just a very odd glitch!? Hmm...

MartinC ( ) posted Sat, 27 January 2001 at 3:18 PM

I just wrote "Testing Testing" above and will now delete it right away...

MartinC ( ) posted Sat, 27 January 2001 at 3:21 PM

Guess what... it is gone again - the original "Testing Testing" above my "9." is no longer listed neither here, nor in the "new messages" overview. If this is a glitch then it is the most welcome glitch ever, and please leave it in...!!! :-)

rcook ( ) posted Sat, 27 January 2001 at 9:26 PM

Not a glitch at all. We're just not displaying the "deleted" replies anymore. If you delete a parent post, it still shows up, but is noted as being deleted.

MartinC ( ) posted Sun, 28 January 2001 at 3:25 AM

Thanks, this is really good news. I assume "parent" means the initial topic start, right? If someone abuses this forum with any sort of illegal business it is good to know that the original stuff will be kept by the board, but the vast majority of deleted replies were really performed for correction (if you looked at it, they usually came in bulks by the same member, and the last one always stood undeleted). Thanks for your help, MartinC

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.