Mon, Sep 9, 8:10 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 6:38 am)

Subject: Gather node makes grainy texture????

shedofjoy ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2005 at 9:57 AM · edited Tue, 27 August 2024 at 12:48 AM

I have had a little dabble with the gathernode, but when i render the gathernode reflection colour is grainy, how can i get a nice smooth reflection from the gather node???? I have tried raising the samples on the gather node to 95 but this doesn't do much but add time to the render, and i have altered the render settings and plugged the gather node into everything but the kitchen sink (only because the connector to the gather node wont fit the plug hole,lol...). Is there a solution to smooth gather node texturing?????

Getting old and still making "art" without soiling myself, now that's success.

Fazzel ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2005 at 10:13 AM

Looking forward to an answer by someone.

thixen ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2005 at 10:56 AM

me 2

Casette ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2005 at 11:21 AM

me 2 BTW anybody knows a thread or tut where appears all the P5 - P6 nodes and examplesof their use?

CASETTE
=======
"Poser isn't a SOFTWARE... it's a RELIGION!"

templargfx ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2005 at 11:26 AM

easy as pie! just like when you use any special effect with firefly, it uses a blender method of creating the effect, or splatter method (whichever explains it better for you!) what you need to do is tell firefly that you would like it to look at all the pixels around the area, and change the colour appropriately! how is this done you say? easy and sloooooooowly! under your ADVANCED render settings you will notice a nice slider bar called Pixel Samples. the number set within this slider determines how many pixels AROUND the pixel that is currently being rendered firefly will look at before deciding the end colour of the pixel it is working on! WHAT THE??? simply put, if you want less grainy effects (gather, DOF, ray-trace sharp shadows) you need to increase the pixel samples so that the pixels that have not had the effect placed on them (due to the grain method) will be effected by enough of the pixels that HAVE had the effect on them. ok that wasnt too simple.... poser sets it to 3 as default and ups it to 5 on production quality. For effects such as these, set it to 8-12 or higher if your computer can handle it. the higher you set it, the smoother the image will appear, but set it too high, and you will lose detail! hope this is not only understandable, but most importantly helpful LOL

TemplarGFX
3D Hobbyist since 1996
I use poser native units

167 Car Materials for Poser

operaguy ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2005 at 12:33 PM

me3 waiting for response back thanks for explanation templargfx

Rance01 ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2005 at 12:57 PM

Good question, good answer. Thank you templargfx. Rance

byAnton ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2005 at 1:58 PM

Attached Link: http://www.runtimedna.com/messages.ez?Form.ShowMessage=132995

This thread at RDNA might be useful

-Anton, creator of Apollo Maximus
"Conviction without truth is denial; Denial in the face of truth is concealment."

Over 100,000 Downloads....

stewer ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2005 at 2:37 PM

simply put, if you want less grainy effects (gather, DOF, ray-trace sharp shadows) you need to increase the pixel samples Increasing pixel samples increases the quality of effects that happen after the pixels are being shaded, like DOF or 3D motion blur. The quality of the shading itself is affected by the shading rate - lowering that will make gather and raytraced shadows render more precisely (and increase render time). What can also help reducing the grainyness of images is changing the post filter to a 2 pixel gauss filter instead of the default 1 pixel box.

shedofjoy ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2005 at 4:40 PM

Im amazed that i asked a question that was quite popular...lol... I will now go and give all of those methods a try, Thankyou all... i will post my results back here...

shedofjoy ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2005 at 6:59 PM

file_229394.jpg

Ok here is a split image of the test render.... The right is the higher settings render and the left of the image is the standard setting that P6 default is set to. The other pic is of the Higher render settings... Note that although the settings are higher this does make a difference, but does not remove the grainy texture. Now if i increase the settings im sure this would solve the issue. But be warned.....the higher render settings took 10 times longer to render, so increaseing this will add HUGE amounts of time to your rendering, and for this test i stopped at going silly and wasting my life watching the slow rendering.... Hope this helps some of you..... and lets hope PC's get a hell of a lot faster so i can really push these settings to the limit without the fear of falling asleep.

shedofjoy ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2005 at 7:00 PM

file_229395.jpg

and the settings...

byAnton ( ) posted Sun, 01 May 2005 at 1:44 PM

AKmaterialroombookmark

"Conviction without truth is denial; Denial in the face of truth is concealment."

byAnton ( ) posted Sun, 01 May 2005 at 1:44 PM

AKmaterialroombookmark

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.