Wed, Sep 18, 12:59 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:39 am)

Subject: How much to charge for advertising rights

PabloS ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2005 at 7:29 PM · edited Sat, 17 August 2024 at 5:54 AM

I've done a few commissions but never have been asked to use my artwork in advertising before. I have haven't been able to find in previous posts how much extra should be added for those rights. Any rules of thumb or experiences to share? I'll also add this is a fledgling company, so I don't want to be greedy but try to help them out fairly. Thanks in advance for any advice.

akura_ ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2005 at 7:40 PM · edited Thu, 28 April 2005 at 7:42 PM

Its simple have them pay you per use of your art work. FOr pay, its your art work charage how ever amount seems far. If you have to negotiate the price.

Message edited on: 04/28/2005 19:42

KimberlyC ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2005 at 7:58 PM

Sometimes it depends on the amount of time you spend on that piece of work. Maybe throw out what price you feel its worth and see what they bite...if less then go less. You'll be getting a small step out the door tho in the long run. :)

PabloS ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2005 at 8:23 PM · edited Thu, 28 April 2005 at 8:32 PM

I should have mentioned that I don't really have a problem with a "basic" price. It's the added advertising license that's thowing me, if that's the right term. They want to use my images in their advertising literature.

Message edited on: 04/28/2005 20:32

Ian Porter ( ) posted Fri, 29 April 2005 at 2:58 AM

If they would be prepared to credit your artwork in their advertising literature, that might bring in some more work for you.

dvisuals ( ) posted Fri, 29 April 2005 at 4:33 AM

DO NOT SELL YOUR ART OR YOUR RIGHTS. Sell usage only. There are several professional pricing guides available for artists. Check out your local bookstores, Amazon.com and Google.

AntoniaTiger ( ) posted Sat, 30 April 2005 at 3:24 AM

Book covers, I know, involve the sale of a right to use an image, not a sale of the artwork. I've seen the same artwork used on different books and magazines, several years apart, and even what looks like a rework of an image (a different reflection on a helmet visor).

dvisuals ( ) posted Sat, 30 April 2005 at 3:30 PM

Most publishing houses have in-house art departments and own all of the artwork they produce. For revisions, they simply pull up the old art and re-work it. Independent contractor's works are frequntly used without permission. An Indie sued a few years ago when he found that his illustration had been used 19 times without permission by various magazines. DO NOT SELL YOUR ORIGINAL ART OR YOUR RIGHTS. Charge full scale for USAGE and be honest and you will be respected and get work.Word of mouth goes a long way in the business. If a client tries to clip you, walk away. They can ruin your rep.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.