Sat, Sep 21, 2:33 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 1:47 am)

Subject: Base system for Poser 5?

tastiger ( ) posted Thu, 26 May 2005 at 3:31 PM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 2:26 AM

My 9 yo son is just starting to take an interest in CG art, I recently picked him up a cheap copy of Vue 4 and I intend on letting him have my Poser 5. With computer upgrades over time we have a bit of stuff laying around and I was wondering what people would suggest as a good base to run Poser 5? I know I have an AMD XP2000+ sitting around and at least 512 DDR - Poser 5 never ran really successfuly on that setup for me - but by the time the patches were out I had upgraded, so whatcha think?

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.
Robert A. Heinlein

11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-11900K @ 3.50GHz   3.50 GHz
64.0 GB (63.9 GB usable)
Geforce RTX 3060 12 GB
Windows 11 Pro

dayjo ( ) posted Thu, 26 May 2005 at 3:39 PM

I have a 1.6ghz amd, 1 gig of DDR RAM/266 and that only just manages to cope..but I'm upgrading soon so.... I'm also running poser 5sr4

Fazzel ( ) posted Thu, 26 May 2005 at 3:59 PM

If you have something made by Cray, that might get the job done. :o) Seriously, at least a gig of memory and a fast processor, at least over 1 GHz.

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Thu, 26 May 2005 at 4:12 PM

I'm currently using Poser 5 (and 6) on an AMD Athlon XP 2000+. It runs fine. I'd be happier with a faster processor, of course, but that's always true. I'd recommend at least 1GB of memory, if your motherboard can support it.

markschum ( ) posted Thu, 26 May 2005 at 5:03 PM

I ran Poser 5 on a Pentium 450 system with 256 meg ram and win98 se. Loading more than one figure lead to slow responses. Poser on WIN Xp seems to run much better even with 512 meg ram. Make sure you update with the SR3 and SR4 patches for Poser 5. Your AMD system sounds good.

tastiger ( ) posted Thu, 26 May 2005 at 5:19 PM

Sounds good Little_Dragon - I will have to pickup a MB for the processor anyway and I'm sure all the ones that take the K7's allow up to at least 1.5 gig

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.
Robert A. Heinlein

11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-11900K @ 3.50GHz   3.50 GHz
64.0 GB (63.9 GB usable)
Geforce RTX 3060 12 GB
Windows 11 Pro

svdl ( ) posted Fri, 27 May 2005 at 1:15 PM

Try to find a mainboard that supports dual channel DDR. Memory speed definitely helps when working with Poser! Check first if your CPU can handle dual channel, I'm not sure about XP2000+

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Fri, 27 May 2005 at 9:54 PM

If I understand the term "dual-channel" correctly, then yes ... I've set mine up that way. I had some stability issues after installing the new memory, but later realized it was due to the memory being clocked too high for an XP 2000+ system. I had to throttle the memory down to 133MHz (from the default of 166MHz), so it'd match the frontside bus.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.