Sun, Oct 6, 1:25 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 06 11:30 am)

Subject: EUREEKA..!

NimProdAction ( ) posted Mon, 13 June 2005 at 5:04 PM

how do i bookmark this??

ziggie ( ) posted Mon, 13 June 2005 at 5:09 PM

freyfaxi: it will work in P4 and PPP as it doesn't use any dynamic stuff. That's why I decided to use magnets... cos although I have P6 I still mainly use PPP.

"You don't have to be mad to use Poser... but it helps"

byAnton ( ) posted Mon, 13 June 2005 at 5:22 PM

I love magnets and am so glad to see cases where they get the attention they deserve. Great images and animations to all. Even if someone else ahs already tried something,it is so much fun to discover it yourself and usually leads to new ideas. You could use this on ksin too like a first punching a face and the skin mushed in.

-Anton, creator of Apollo Maximus
"Conviction without truth is denial; Denial in the face of truth is concealment."

Over 100,000 Downloads....

Dave-So ( ) posted Mon, 13 June 2005 at 5:23 PM

BIG DOT

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it.
Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together.
All things connect......Chief Seattle, 1854

byAnton ( ) posted Mon, 13 June 2005 at 5:23 PM

I love magnets and am so glad to see cases where they get the attention they deserve. Great images and animations to all. Even if someone else ahs already tried something,it is so much fun to discover it yourself and usually leads to new ideas. You could use this on ksin too like a first punching a face and the skin mushed in. Or finger tips sqeezing something.

"Conviction without truth is denial; Denial in the face of truth is concealment."

byAnton ( ) posted Mon, 13 June 2005 at 5:24 PM

I love magnets and am so glad to see cases where they get the attention they deserve. Great images and animations to all. Even if someone else ahs already tried something,it is so much fun to discover it yourself and usually leads to new ideas. You could use this on ksin too like a first punching a face and the skin mushed in. Or finger tips sqeezing something.

Dave-So ( ) posted Mon, 13 June 2005 at 5:25 PM

BIG DOT oh ... in p5 and 6 this can be done with displacment mapping as well...although not even as dynamic as you require a displacement map for each position, which will not work for animation...not too bad for still image.

richardson ( ) posted Mon, 13 June 2005 at 5:32 PM

"Or finger tips sqeezing something...." Hence title..."Eureeka"! Sure got quiet around here..

Acadia ( ) posted Mon, 13 June 2005 at 5:37 PM

Ziggie, I'd love to see a tutorial on how you accomplished this. Scripts are nice, but I also like to know how to do things "manually", so that I understand the concept/principal behind it. Pressing buttons isn't enough for me; I need to know "how" the task is accomplished.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

ziggie ( ) posted Mon, 13 June 2005 at 5:38 PM

file_254950.jpg

tis easy really.. if anyone else wants to give it a try. The hardest part is adjusting all the mag zones. The pic gives a rough idea of what is going on. Just remember to create the magnets to your surface first before parenting them to the figures body parts.

ziggie ( ) posted Mon, 13 June 2005 at 5:53 PM

Attached Link: Mattress

file_254951.jpg

Just in case anybody want the mattress... you can get it here

Bobasaur ( ) posted Mon, 13 June 2005 at 5:57 PM

Have you got any squeacky mattress sound FX?

Before they made me they broke the mold!
http://home.roadrunner.com/~kflach/

Likos ( ) posted Mon, 13 June 2005 at 6:03 PM

Is there a way to give a figure magnet properties? Say Magnetize V3 and then have her react to the sofa? (Or magnetize a stool and have it deform V3 as she sits?) (could a python do this? (Magnetize the body so it wouldn't require long calculation times?)

ziggie ( ) posted Mon, 13 June 2005 at 6:06 PM

eeekk... eeekkk... "GASP" eeeek.. eeeekkk... "OH MY... OH.. OH.. OHHH".. eeeek... eeek... "Oh Anton! You were INCREDIBLE..!"

originalkitten ( ) posted Mon, 13 June 2005 at 6:23 PM

bookmark

"I didn't lose my mind, it was mine to give away"

Dave-So ( ) posted Mon, 13 June 2005 at 6:24 PM

repel dang spot, repel

paper-tiger ( ) posted Mon, 13 June 2005 at 6:25 PM

I think we all agree that a tutorial on this would be a wonderful addition. I, at least, am excited about the prospects, but have avoided the magnets window like the plague for lack of useful instructional documentation. Then again, I've also avoided doing renders that involve 'soft' surfaces, because they just don't look REAL. W00t! :D

cherokee69 ( ) posted Mon, 13 June 2005 at 6:27 PM

momodot ( ) posted Mon, 13 June 2005 at 6:32 PM

Thank you zippy. The script wouldn't run for me anyway. Thanks for sharing.

Rachel_R ( ) posted Mon, 13 June 2005 at 7:17 PM

tut...tut...tut...please

Angel1 ( ) posted Mon, 13 June 2005 at 7:22 PM

....Now Bring Me That Horizon....
Send IM | Gallery

Smoovie ( ) posted Mon, 13 June 2005 at 7:38 PM

Yeah, keep us posted

ariannah ( ) posted Mon, 13 June 2005 at 8:24 PM

Looks way cool and thanks for sharing. Adding a bookmark of my own. ;)

I dare you, while there is still time, to have a magnificent obsession. --William Danforth

Marque ( ) posted Mon, 13 June 2005 at 8:42 PM

lol Eureka is a term that has been shouted through the ages by folks who have discovered something cool. This is too great ziggie, can't wait to try it out. Marque

BastBlack ( ) posted Mon, 13 June 2005 at 9:08 PM

OMG! I have been looking for something like for so long (realistic sofas, beds, etc), and I had no idea you could do it with magnets! Very Clever Ziggie! Bravo! :D That's the best looking "fluffy" mattress I've ever seen! bB

PappShmirr ( ) posted Mon, 13 June 2005 at 10:00 PM

Alisa ( ) posted Mon, 13 June 2005 at 10:05 PM

Very cool. Bookmarked as well :-)

Cheers,
Alisa

RETIRED HiveWire 3D QAV Director

lmckenzie ( ) posted Mon, 13 June 2005 at 10:52 PM

Outstanding Ziggie. I tried to do this a couple of years ago using magnets on the fingers to create a hand crushing a can effect. The key which I never figured out was the idea of having a parented magnet effect another figure/object. As Igor says in the AFLAC commercial, Genius! Please complete the magneted figure. This will create a whole new world of possibilities, especialy for Poser 4/PP.

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

bookmark ( ) posted Mon, 13 June 2005 at 11:21 PM · edited Mon, 13 June 2005 at 11:25 PM

Yes?

All these people keep calling me. I feel so wanted...

...so fullfilled...

...all warm and stuff inside...

:)

Message edited on: 06/13/2005 23:25

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Tue, 14 June 2005 at 12:29 AM

Lil Dragon had something similar with (I'm guessing)magnets attached to mattress but parented to body parts.

Actually, mine was a dynamic-cloth mattress. No magnets at all.

Tashar59 ( ) posted Tue, 14 June 2005 at 1:57 AM

file_254953.jpg

Well, the first time I saw this was about 2/3 years ago. Someone was trying to make foot prints in the snow. I started to use it for skin on skin in P4. I'm not sure what happened to the original, might have turned into a script to keep the foot print after the foot moved to next point. Nice to see old ideas come alive again. I did this in about 1 min. I didn't adjust the mag zone so it's not perfect. You can add all the groups you want to the 1 mag and make the finger slide all the way down to the toes, if you wanted to.

Hawkfyr ( ) posted Tue, 14 June 2005 at 2:17 AM

She looks like she is enjoying that. 8 )~ Tom

“The fact that no one understands you…Doesn’t make you an artist.”

Virtua36 ( ) posted Tue, 14 June 2005 at 3:37 AM

Fantastic idea! Thanks for sharing.:-)

estherau ( ) posted Tue, 14 June 2005 at 5:28 AM

bookmark!!!!

MY ONLINE COMIC IS NOW LIVE

I aim to update it about once a month.  Oh, and it's free!

Tiny ( ) posted Tue, 14 June 2005 at 7:48 AM

Great work ziggie! Thanks for sharing!

ziggie ( ) posted Tue, 14 June 2005 at 8:22 AM

file_254954.jpg

randym77 and Likos asked if this method would work in reverse. That is: could an object be made to deform a figure..? Yes... it is possible :-) The pic shows the effect when the magnet is created for the figure's right buttock but parented to the object (a box primitive). You can see in the pic... that the left buttock which has not been magnetized intersects with the object as normal. ziggie

Casette ( ) posted Tue, 14 June 2005 at 8:27 AM

bkmrk FANTASTIC !!!!!!

CASETTE
=======
"Poser isn't a SOFTWARE... it's a RELIGION!"

ziggie ( ) posted Tue, 14 June 2005 at 8:42 AM · edited Tue, 14 June 2005 at 8:49 AM

Unfortunately... although I understand the priciple behind all this... it's full/proper implemtation is beyond me.

One of the biggest drawbacks is, that as far as I know a mag zone can only be a spheroid shape. If the zone could be altered to any shape it would be great.

What is really needed is a way to make a mag zone the same shape as a prop or figure part so that it could be offset by an equal distance all around the prop or figure part.

I have always felt it a great shame that figures/props don't have 'spongeability'.

I am sure it must be possible somehow... with magnets... collision detection, etc.

What we need are figures where for example... if another figures hand was squeezed around the arm... the arm would deform accordingly. Also... if a figure came into contact with any prop it would aslo deform as in real life.

Electronic Frontier and other Figure Creators please take note, and... MAKE IT SO...! :-)

ziggie

Message edited on: 06/14/2005 08:49

Bobasaur ( ) posted Tue, 14 June 2005 at 10:19 AM

AMEN! (you preach it, bro!)

Hyria ( ) posted Tue, 14 June 2005 at 11:03 AM

Way to go. Very interesting concept. THanks for sharing Ziggy :)

Insanity is a waking state...Darkness is a being...Want To Play.........heheheheh

SpottedKitty ( ) posted Tue, 14 June 2005 at 3:31 PM

Excellent. And more intriguing for me, since I'm gradually moving over to using DAZ|Studio more than Poser, and it's now fairly certain D|S will have a Poser-like-but-more-flexible magnet system either with v1.0 release, or as an early plugin. Which means I'll be able to set up something like this! =)

diolma ( ) posted Tue, 14 June 2005 at 4:01 PM

Hi Ziggie. Great idea (wish I'd thought of it). Just one thing, in P5 (I don't know about PPP), the magnet zone falloff CAN be adjusted. Since I rarely use magnets I can't remember how exactly, but the good Dr. Geep has a tutorial about this somewhere... Cheers, Diolma

jjsemp ( ) posted Tue, 14 June 2005 at 4:13 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?ForumID=12356&Form.ShowMessage=1646678

Here's the link to Dr. Geep's Magnet tutorial... -jjsemp

jjsemp ( ) posted Tue, 14 June 2005 at 4:17 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?ForumID=12356&Form.ShowMessage=1956486

...and this is another Dr. Geep magnet tutorial! -jjsemp

PabloS ( ) posted Tue, 14 June 2005 at 5:28 PM

fantastic stuff! bookmarking

Bobasaur ( ) posted Tue, 14 June 2005 at 7:41 PM

Dr. Geep has a magnetic personality!

AntoniaTiger ( ) posted Tue, 14 June 2005 at 11:31 PM

Insomniaworks uses magnets for his clothing converters, and they also seem to be used in the Python-script Wardrobe Wizard from PhilC (The Demo will convert clothes between the P4 and P5 adult characters). Magnets seem to be getting attractive.

Tashar59 ( ) posted Wed, 15 June 2005 at 12:39 AM

OK, color me Pink and call me Silly. What is new about this?

lmckenzie ( ) posted Wed, 15 June 2005 at 12:51 AM

Since you can have multiple magnets, it seems that you should be able to approximate various shapes by using multiple zones. At the ridiculous exctreme, I suppose that would be one magnet per vertex!

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

kawecki ( ) posted Wed, 15 June 2005 at 1:51 AM

I am discovering magnets too! and it opens a new world of amazing posibilties.

Stupidity also evolves!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.