Sat, Sep 7, 8:32 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: OT: Game Making Kit for dummies ?

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Wed, 22 June 2005 at 4:26 AM · edited Mon, 29 July 2024 at 5:37 AM

Anyone know of a Game Making Kit for dummies? well not too dumb :)

In the old days a single person could write a game, but these days you need a team.

A friend and I want to work on making a game but we dont have the resources of 20-30 Team of people.

I was wondering if anyone here knew of a Game Making kit that would make it a bit easier to write a game.

Dann-O ( ) posted Wed, 22 June 2005 at 5:22 AM

How dumb is the dummie? You could use an existing game like Neverwinter Nights or Morrowind and use the toolset to make a game or an adventure. Even still you need to take some time to put the game together. As far as making something marketable is another thing. You woudl have to look at things like licensing. But makign a game or adventure for those two toolsets mentioned would be a good start they have large communities and they would give you feedback to what they like and don't like.

The wit of a misplaced ex-patriot.
I cheated on my metaphysics exam by looking into the soul of the person next to me.

ysvry ( ) posted Wed, 22 June 2005 at 6:45 AM

get ut2004 for 3d like games it has a very flexible editor, or try the blender game engine.

for some free stuff i made
and for almost daily fotos

RobertJ ( ) posted Wed, 22 June 2005 at 8:44 AM

Attached Link: http://strlen.com/sauerbraten/

Cube or Sauerbraten, realtime level editing, there is no other game that can do that. Sauerbraten is a real gem in my opinion. Did i mention that both are free?

Robert van der Veeke Basugasubasubasu Basugasubakuhaku Gasubakuhakuhaku!! "Better is the enemy of good enough." Dr. Mikoyan of the Mikoyan Gurevich Design Bureau.

Fo3 ( ) posted Wed, 22 June 2005 at 8:52 AM

or,if you want to try something different,something that depends on bryce and poser: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/

What is a CRIF?

pakled ( ) posted Wed, 22 June 2005 at 9:34 AM · edited Wed, 22 June 2005 at 9:35 AM

thanks..price is right on saurbraten..as long as I can get past the smell..;)
oh, back in the day there was a text adventure thing called 'The Generic Adventure Game Simulator', but heaven knows if it's still around. It was free, as far as I remember.

Message edited on: 06/22/2005 09:35

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Wed, 22 June 2005 at 11:38 AM

Thanks for the Links and Suggestions, I did some more searching and its amazing how many Game Development kits are out there. There is one in particular I found called. The Scrolling Game Development Kit which is geard towards 2D Side Scrolling type of games like Super Mario Brothers. I'll post a link later when I get home incase anyone is interested. I will try the other links mentioned here and see what we can come up with. Were not thinking commercial, just a Homebrew type of project. I also like the suggestion of taking something like Neverwinter Nights and designing a game in there.

shinyary2 ( ) posted Fri, 24 June 2005 at 10:30 AM

Personally I hate the Neverwinter Nights editor. It's certainly interesting, and the fact that it uses C++ for all of its scripting is certainly a plus, but it's just too darn fixed. If you want to make an adventure in the NW editor, it will be NW under another name. Even worse is that it is terribly difficult to make an empty room, even a simple thing as that, because NW editor automatically puts in junk in every single room that you make. Supposed to make it "easier", I suppose. Maybe I'm just biased because I hated the NW singleplayer campaign with a violent passion. Walking around in forty enormous dungeons (all of which look exactly alike, except for minor changes in lighting, contents, and layout), fighting hundreds of enemies that give you two experience points apiece, and levelups every two days or so... not really my idea of fun. =) Oh, and you might try Genesis3D. I'm not sure how low-level you are willing to go, but Genesis3D is a free, open source 3D game engine. Morrowind's editor is probably a better bet, though I don't know anything about that. But thanks for those links. Sauerbraten sounds really great to me, I'll have to check it out. =)

TobinLam ( ) posted Tue, 28 June 2005 at 8:32 PM

I'm checking out the Unreal Engine and editor. It's pretty cool except I can get particle emitters to work or import textures or models.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.