Mon, Sep 9, 8:05 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 6:38 am)

Subject: Am i the only one with P6 sr1 Memory issus??????

shedofjoy ( ) posted Tue, 05 July 2005 at 10:00 PM · edited Sat, 20 July 2024 at 8:06 PM

I am still annoyed with CL or EF with this crap memory issue on P6 even after the sr1 update, I had no such issues with P5 and could render everything with texture maps set to 4096, and now im limited to 512, which is crap. WHEN ARE EF GOING TO FIX THIS?????? or should i just bin P6 and go back to P5 if i want decent texture mapping? and yes i have lowered the bucket size too... ohh and what about fixing that Artifact problem in AO IBL renders???? hmmm and yet there is still no July update on the EF website. are things getting on top of them?

Getting old and still making "art" without soiling myself, now that's success.

shedofjoy ( ) posted Tue, 05 July 2005 at 10:05 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

file_266954.jpg

Heres a render which P6 says i can only do minimum settings on.... WHY????? theres hardly anything in the scene... and before anyone asks i have 1gb of ram (that cant be upgraded unless i buy a new machine), and a nice 260gb of HD space which p6 is not interested in as a virtual drive...hmmm....

shedofjoy ( ) posted Tue, 05 July 2005 at 10:07 PM

Ohhh the reason i want higher texture mapping for those who don't know why, Look at the tattoo... it looks awefull.

svdl ( ) posted Tue, 05 July 2005 at 10:30 PM

Is that hair dynamic or transmapped? Dynamic hair is an incredible resource hog. Try monitoring memory usage and see what happens before Poser starts complaining about memory. I don't have this problem. Right now I've got a render going on an Athlon2700+ with 1 GB RAM, containing 2 She-Freaks, one V3, and Glamorous Glennis, a couple of swords, and the Lore-Naz environment. Only transmapped hair. Five lights, ambient occlusion, subsurface scattering, raytraced reflections and volumetric lighting. Maximum texture resolution at 1536, no polygon smoothing, min shading rate 1, raytrace bounces 2. It's slow, but it works, using 450 MB physical and 1350 MB virtual memory.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

thefixer ( ) posted Wed, 06 July 2005 at 2:35 AM

I have had the memory issue also when trying to use "texture filtering". That's the only time since SR1 so I just don't use texture filtering right now. I did report it to CL but didn't get my usual reply. If everyone still having issues reports them then they should get something done quicker! thefixer, poser coord.

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

Mister_Gosh ( ) posted Wed, 06 July 2005 at 2:44 AM

When you have out of memory issues, you should take a look in Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Delete on Windows XP) and see how much memory Poser is eating up at the point it throws the error. Note that this number isn't very accurate (if you know how to use Perfmon.exe, that gives better memory use stats), but it will give you a ballpark idea. You can hit hard memory limits in Poser with a single figure, if you do the wrong things, and if you're hitting such a limit, you could add a terrabyte of hard drive space and it wouldn't matter. As pointed out elsewhere, texture filtering causes a tremendous memory load, so it is a great first thing to check on.

thefixer ( ) posted Wed, 06 July 2005 at 3:06 AM

I appreciate what you're saying about texture filtering and resource etc. but let's get to the bottom line, if it's on the application to use then I should be able to use it. I have a good spec machine so my machine's capabilities aren't the issue [3.4 Ghz P4, 1 Gig RAm, 7200 SATA drive, ATI X600 graphics]. The fact is there are still some issues and we, the users need to inform CL of those issues so they can be fixed. If you bought anything else like a TV or new car etc. you wouldn't put up with faults on them so why should we make do with this faulty product! I'm not having a go at anyone here so please keep it friendly, I'm just saying we shouldn't compromise on how to use the product just because it isn't working right [yet!]. thefixer, poser coord.

Cofiwch Dryweryn.

Dizzi ( ) posted Wed, 06 July 2005 at 3:47 AM

You have to learn how to drive your car, and you also need to learn how to use the options of poser's render engine within the limits the 2GB available address space provided by windows.

thefixer ( ) posted Wed, 06 July 2005 at 4:42 AM

Funny how I can render an image in Poser5 then and not in Poser6 with the same settings, not using any of the new features of P6!! Same pz3, same lights, same render settings and also there is a definite improvement in the memory issue since SR1 which suggests that there was a fault in the first place. I, like many others had serious issues with memory errors before SR1 but not nearly so many now, so that would point to an improvement, they just need to get that little bit extra to sort it properly. thefixer, poser coord.

Cofiwch Dryweryn.

Dizzi ( ) posted Wed, 06 July 2005 at 6:27 AM

The way you worded it and not saying that it works in P5, it sounded like you expected it to work any time which just cannot happen. And i got Pz3s that render different in P5 and P6 ;-)

shedofjoy ( ) posted Wed, 06 July 2005 at 8:13 AM

OK there must be some memory issue still in P6 i say this because P5 never had this problem and you could put the render settings to maximum and it would still render, ok it would take a long time but still it would do it. The big question now is Are EF working on this now? and when are we expecting SR2? A big thanx to SVDL who has posted his render settings that i will have a go of shortly.... If all else fails im going to have to render V3 naked at max texture settings and use Photoshop to fix the image posted above..... yuk...

shedofjoy ( ) posted Wed, 06 July 2005 at 8:14 AM

oops almost forgot... No SVDL that is not dynamic hair it is Sassy hair2 with a little tex of my own...

maxxxmodelz ( ) posted Wed, 06 July 2005 at 8:39 AM

"OK there must be some memory issue still in P6 i say this because P5 never had this problem and you could put the render settings to maximum and it would still render" I recall many people complaining about P5 having stopped or become frozen during a large render with intensive settings. There wouldn't be a warning, it would just freeze up. Fact is, turning up the automatic settings all the way to maximum isn't exactly an efficient way to use the renderer. I'm not sure why they have an automatic settings feature like that, but using the manual settings, and assigning values to each parameter in a balanced, logical manner is much better. Texture filtering - there's really only a few reasons to ever need this enabled. One of them is if you have a high contrast pattern that gets mottled at certain distances from the camera (ie., a checkerboard pattern assigned to a ground plane, or things like that). Some people use it for hair, but I've never really found the need to use it for that... a low shading rate (0.4-0.2 or less) with proper post filter settings and pixel samples works just fine for a clean render under most conditions. In scenes that are extraordinarily heavy, and still don't seem to render even after optimizing render settings, you can always attempt to render it in "passes" (like rendering out the background first, then the forground or character elements), and just composite them together in post. For textures that are seemingly too large, perhaps try compressing them again in Photoshop to a smaller file size (while preserving their details), and save them to a different file name. Most of these super-high-res textures can be easily re-compressed down to half their original file size, while having very little or no visual impact on their details.

Tools :  3dsmax 2015, Daz Studio 4.6, PoserPro 2012, Blender v2.74

System: Pentium QuadCore i7, under Win 8, GeForce GTX 780 / 2GB GPU.

PabloS ( ) posted Wed, 06 July 2005 at 9:06 AM

I'm having the same problem thefixer. Renders that work in P5 do not in P6 using the same settings. As I recall, moving from P5 to P6 was to be an UPgrade.

shedofjoy ( ) posted Wed, 06 July 2005 at 9:36 AM

Maxxxmodelz may have not noticed that the Tattoo on my render looks CRAP. hense the higher Texture settings, I shall be trying out the shading rate to see what that achieves.

stewer ( ) posted Wed, 06 July 2005 at 9:40 AM

"you could put the render settings to maximum and it would still render, ok it would take a long time but still it would do it." The maximum render settings in P6 are different from the ones in P5. For example, dragging the quality slider to the right end in P6 would give you a shading rate of 0.1 and 6 pixel samples, where the P5 production default is 3 pixel samples and a shading rate of 0.5.

Smoker1000 ( ) posted Wed, 06 July 2005 at 11:48 AM

Consider dropping the body texture altogether and replacing it with a simple 64x64 color chip for the skin. Group the tattoo area and assign it the texture "tattoo." Delete the group. Export the figure as an obj. sans groups and remap the tattoo area. Do your tattoo artwork on its own map (anything larger than the final resolution will work without fragmenting detail) and use the same bg color as used on the skin color chip. Reimport the model - which will conveniently come back in at the exactly the right place. You will save memory on the body tex, use only what you need for the tattoos, eliminate the use of memory for the "figure" instead of the re-imported model, and reduce seams caused by the renderer processing groups separately from each other. One can add any minor skin tex/grains easily in post. It doesn't solve your memory problem - but I find eliminating the body tex very helpful in most situations and it produces faster renders.

shedofjoy ( ) posted Wed, 06 July 2005 at 4:35 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

file_266957.jpg

Thanx all but Svdl had pretty much helped me out again. your render settings work a treat. Notice i even got in Richarbi's graffiti wall too...

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.