Wed, Sep 18, 1:03 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:39 am)

Subject: SSS?

Lakeesha ( ) posted Wed, 27 July 2005 at 9:42 AM · edited Tue, 30 July 2024 at 6:09 AM

Hello, often I saw in the describtions of the images in the poser gallery, that the artits used "SSS". Could anyone tell me what SSS is? :) Thanks for help, Lakeesha

zollster ( ) posted Wed, 27 July 2005 at 9:48 AM

sub surface scattering i think its something to do with lighting

SamTherapy ( ) posted Wed, 27 July 2005 at 9:49 AM

SubSurface Scattering. A technique used to by make skin appear realistic by creating the illusion of translucency.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

pakled ( ) posted Wed, 27 July 2005 at 10:17 AM

sorry..just didn't know myself..;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

Mazak ( ) posted Wed, 27 July 2005 at 12:20 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?Form.ShowMessage=2268001

You can also create nice effects ;) Mazak

Google+ Bodo Nittel 

Gongyla ( ) posted Wed, 27 July 2005 at 1:32 PM

light reflects on the surface, but part of it penetrates. Some materials show this more than some others. The light that penetrates under the surface is scattered in the material. Hence Sub Surface Scattering.

face_off ( ) posted Wed, 27 July 2005 at 4:38 PM

Attached Link: http://www.users.on.net/~pkinnane/RealSkinShaderTutorial.html

file_276344.jpg

There are two distrinct types of sss - 1) lighting coming from the back of the object (relative to the camera) and coming out the front (basically a form of translucence), and 2) lighting coming from the front of the object (relative to the camera) and bouncing back to the camera from somewhere else on the surface (see above example). For example, human skin can be make mroe realistic with sss (both front and back facing). See attached link for how to fake front-facing sss.

Creator of PoserPhysics
Creator of OctaneRender for Poser
Blog
Facebook

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.