Fri, Oct 25, 7:26 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: screen/picture size

CDBrugg ( ) posted Fri, 05 August 2005 at 2:33 AM ยท edited Fri, 25 October 2024 at 7:23 AM

What is the best size (in pixels) to post my photies? Please cou you let me knw what screen sizes you have and what size pictures you find it most convenient to view. Thanks Charles

Charles

cbender ( ) posted Fri, 05 August 2005 at 2:54 AM

well mostly i have a res of 1280 * 1024 i personally try to limit them to max values of 900 each direction... those nearly work on 1024*786... at least the landscape... have a great day and a wonderful light...

ChuckEvans ( ) posted Fri, 05 August 2005 at 7:03 AM

For me, I hate having to view images that I need to scroll to see. So, assuming there are other people like that, and considering it's pretty safe bet that most people can display at least 800 x 600, I'd shoot for something like that. Also, remember there are still people with dial-up wink.

Enmos ( ) posted Fri, 05 August 2005 at 7:09 AM ยท edited Fri, 05 August 2005 at 7:10 AM

My res. is 1024*768, i think thats pretty standard for most. So i post my pics 800 wide (landsc. format, border incl.). Well... most of the time anyway ;o)
ChuckEvans has a point there about the scrolling, its not only inconvenient but one doesnt get a good impression of a pic when you have to scroll to see all of it either.
Jeroen

Message edited on: 08/05/2005 07:10

cbender ( ) posted Fri, 05 August 2005 at 7:10 AM

a good point with the download time... but there can be done a lot with modifiying the compression rate of jpg... it's finding a balance between quality and size - but there can be done a lot!

zahnfee ( ) posted Fri, 05 August 2005 at 7:12 AM

Whenever possible, I try not to upload images wider than 800px. Assuming most people have a screen size 1024 x 768, they don't have to scroll to see the image and still have access to the RR nav-side-bar without scrolling. Have a great day :)

dark_storm ( ) posted Fri, 05 August 2005 at 8:13 AM

well, im 1600 X 1200, but all of my pic i try to not crop them and with the camera, when i resize my photograph keeping the proportion, it 1024 X 628 (600 something). Any size is good to me. I don't think you will have one bigger than my res, cause of the file size limitation. :O). I have a nice day. Benoit

TwoPynts ( ) posted Fri, 05 August 2005 at 9:03 AM

All good feedback. The top considerations are: 1. Scrolling. Seeing the entire photo at once usually gives the best impression. Remember to take into account the browser window and RO frames. If you want them to be able see it larger, provide a link to a larger version of it somewhere else, like in an Article or on your own website. (I did that today actually) Panormas are of course an exception to this rule but still shouldn't be too wide. 2. Download time. As stated, some people are still on dial-up. And the more we load up the RO servers, the slower it is for everyone. Most images should look good at under 200Kb. Most of my images fall between 800 and 900 pixels wide. At work my screen size is 1920 x 1200 and at home it is 1280 x 1024. I'd say you are safe with 800 pixel wide images. Hope that helps!

Kort Kramer - Kramer Kreations

DJB ( ) posted Fri, 05 August 2005 at 9:47 AM

My website stats show that most browsers are at 1024x768. lately with the increase of people buying LCD monitors, I am seeing around 12% at 1280. I make mine at 800 wide then add a border. As what has been said seeing the whole image taking into account the RR side links...I think is best

"The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence but in the mastery of his passions."

tibet2004uk ( ) posted Fri, 05 August 2005 at 12:53 PM

Ah yes! I hate having to scroll to see an image! To me, it totally ruins the effect!! U can't actually appreciate an image if u can't see it in its whole! The max size I upload my images is 850 wide. I can see them properly up to 1000 max then it becomes a pain cos scrolling is necessary!

Nameless_Wildness ( ) posted Fri, 05 August 2005 at 3:51 PM

I guess one prob is...we all have diff size monitors and a preferred resolution. Myself, I use a LCD 19" which in turn gives me 1280 x 1024...my wife has my old CRT trinitron 21 inch and uses 1600 x 1200 res. Same with graphic cards...not everyone has top end graphics installed and that in turn also lowers image quaility!

DeviousMoose ( ) posted Fri, 05 August 2005 at 6:52 PM

I try to keep mine around an 800x600 for those who still have 15" monitors and those who have 17 and have the resolution at that. Also one has to keep in mind about the "toolbars" from the browser- those tend to take up valuable viewing space.

MartinK ( ) posted Fri, 12 August 2005 at 1:58 PM

Its nice to see a big image, BUT, as others have pointed out you don't get the overall impression, especially if a picture has a good composition. I suppose 800 x 600 is fine.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.