Sun, Oct 6, 6:00 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / 3D Modeling

Welcome to the 3D Modeling Forum

Forum Moderators: Lobo3433

3D Modeling F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 29 9:12 pm)

Freeware 3D Modeling Software Links:
Blender | Trimble Sketchup | Wings 3D | Anim8or | Metasequoia | Clara IO (Browser-based 3d modeler)

Check out the
MarketPlace Wishing Well, as a content creator's resource for your next project.

"What 3D Program Should I buy?" Not one person here can really tell you what's best for you, as everyone has their own taste in workflow. Try the demo or learning edition of the program you're interested in, this is the only way to find out which programs you like.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: A new dawn??

Cheers ( ) posted Fri, 19 August 2005 at 3:47 AM · edited Mon, 12 August 2024 at 8:14 PM

Hmmm...I'm not sure if this is the right forum (if not, you are allowed to drag me over burning coals ;). After the update announcement of Cinema 4D 9.5, I decided to have a look around to see what else was available, as I wasn't really convinced that the updates were worth my money. Every other package seemed much of a muchness (ok, Lightwave is much cheaper now, but its still the out dated Lightwave) and I am very impressed with Silo for the price. Firstly I will say I have used Cinema for about 6 or 7 years and love it....but then I took I long hard look at Modo and it's future....it really was mind blowing. With Cinema I always thought "well, it's an established package so really major improvements would be hard to come by". It wasn't until I saw Modo's modelling toolset, I realised just how clunky Cinema's is and how much Maxon could improve it if they put their mind to it. After modelling in Modo, Cinemas tools felt ancient (still some advantages with Cinema though, the most important - non-destructive modelling). Then you look at the price...WOW! 3D Painting included (no extra module) and if you haven't seen the UV unwrapping demo for Modo 201, then I suggest you do...it WILL blow your mind! Infact, if you have the bandwith I suggest you look at Luxology's event video....the animation capabilities are awesome...from animating render threads or frame size over time to modelling your character as it's animating. Modo will not completely replace my Cinema yet, but it will if the Modo roadmap is followed. I still need C4D to animate and Modo has a long way to go....but instead of the 9.5 upgrade price I purchased Modo because I felt I was getting value for money with that. With Modo, I came away all excited again....the same feeling I had when I got my first modelling package too many years back. I feel I have seen the future of 3D animation creation and just as important, the future of 3D application developement. Thanks for bearing with me...I just had to comment on my experience. Cheers

Message edited on: 08/19/2005 03:49

Twitter: Follow @the3dscene

YouTube Channel

--------------- A life?! Cool!! Where do I download one of those?---------------

kenmo ( ) posted Sat, 20 August 2005 at 4:49 PM

What is the price of Modo...???

Cheers ( ) posted Sun, 21 August 2005 at 5:02 AM

Hi Kenmo, The price is $695 with a free upgrade to version 2.01 when it is released plus any users of 2.01 recieve a photoshop filter at no extra cost that will create non repeating tiled texture maps from photos that uses procedural calculations. From what I have seen of it, you can even mix multiple images to create a totally new texture. As I said Kenmo, I really do reccomend to beg, borrow or steal the bandwith to watch their media event video....if nothing else it is very refreshing to see a company not being secretive at all about their roadmap for the future. Cheers

Twitter: Follow @the3dscene

YouTube Channel

--------------- A life?! Cool!! Where do I download one of those?---------------

ysvry ( ) posted Sun, 21 August 2005 at 10:13 AM

Attached Link: http://www.hamsterking.com/blender/3d/tghfluidtest.avi

thx for this infomecial, at 700 dollar i stick with blender , thats realy worth for money look at the link for an avi on the new fluid sim in blender

for some free stuff i made
and for almost daily fotos

marlo ( ) posted Sun, 30 October 2005 at 12:50 AM

I too took a look at this amazing software and was totally blown away.
I dumped all my maya books I was using to learn Maya and have become a big fan of Luxology who make Modo. I am learning Modo 103 using the downloaded demo which runs for a month, fully functional.
I will buy modo 201 when it gets released soon.
I too urge others to take a close look at Modo because its intuitive to learn and the interface and usability is awesome. Their web site has free video tutorials to help you learn.
I think Modo will be a major player in the 3D market next year when they impliment animation capabilities which they are developing at the moment.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.