Thu, Sep 19, 9:48 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 9:35 am)

Subject: Poser 6 and MAC

Bedros ( ) posted Sun, 21 August 2005 at 10:04 AM · edited Tue, 30 July 2024 at 2:21 AM

1st day with P6... Mac G4 double 1G processor 1,5 G RAM. Amazingly slow and sluggish. Almost boring. Is there a way to allocate more RAM to the software... will it solve the problem? Happier with P4 which is gone in the garbage.

Jay7347 ( ) posted Sun, 21 August 2005 at 10:25 AM

Well whatever is wrong I have to say that I don't think it P6. The difference in speed from P4-P6 is literaly like night and day. I'm running it on a dual gig w/ 1.75 of ram and a dual 2.5 wih 4gig of ram and compared to the old P4 days the difference is laughable. Love to help you out if you could let us know a little more about your setup. -jay

MarianneR ( ) posted Sun, 21 August 2005 at 12:29 PM

When I first got Poser 5 I had a G4/766, 1G RAM. It was quite slow and I often had to wait watching the spinning beach ball. Running Poser 4 in Classic was much faster. Upgrading to a G5/2 GHz 1G RAM, made a world of difference and Poser 6 seems to work at about the same speed as Poser 5, some things are quicker though. You can't give Poser more memory. OSX does that.

mateo_sancarlos ( ) posted Sun, 21 August 2005 at 5:36 PM

Poser would be faster if there were a way to allocate memory less stupidly, but as it is now, the system will read/write to the disk continually when using Poser, in an attempt to reserve RAM for other processes, none of which happen to need several GB of RAM. Does Safari (in the background) need a GB of RAM? No. Does Word or BBEdit (in the background) need a GB of RAM? No. But the system still doesn't know that, after all these years. It will stupidly try to reserve most of the RAM for processes other than the one you want (Poser). ISTR that Stewer or somebody said that memory management was better in G5s now, but I hate to suggest buying a G5 just to get Poser to run at the same speed it does in Windows XP.

Jay7347 ( ) posted Sun, 21 August 2005 at 5:45 PM

So what part are we talking about that's slow? I'm on a dual 2.5 G5 w/4GIG ram and my P6 application loads in 24 sec. That's with 26Gig worth of content. My test rendering is brisk and my final renders are better than ever speed wise. Finding files, quick as can be. I guess I'm not seeing what others are having problems with. My dual gig G4 isn't much slower. What I'm trying to say from my perspective is that yes, there used to be problems with P5 and first version of P6. But, since the sr1 I'm finding just about all major issues cleared up on MAC. -jay

jerr3d ( ) posted Sun, 21 August 2005 at 6:40 PM

I also have a Dual 1 ghg with 1.5gig of ram Actually P6 saves files really quick, you should have seen how slow p5 was at that ; ; The default Firefly render setting is very very slow. Turn the "max bucket size" up to 256 or 512 to get much faster renders

estherau ( ) posted Sun, 21 August 2005 at 6:52 PM

there's a thing in tiger about when you first open files for the first time that slows things. It gets faster - a bit. Love esther

MY ONLINE COMIC IS NOW LIVE

I aim to update it about once a month.  Oh, and it's free!

Likos ( ) posted Tue, 23 August 2005 at 7:00 AM

I also have a dual 1gz 1.5 gig Ram and it does tend to get sluggish at times. (Depending on whats in the scene) Onw way I have found to increase speed is to diable the Figure Circle. (I thinks thats what its called) Unfortunately you will need to do this everytime you load a scene. Other than that it seems that Poser likes to cache ALOT on my system. So short of setting up two 10,000 RPM serial ATA drives in a Stripe RAID I dont think we'll see too much helpt there. Also on the Dual 1ghz I have found that increasing the bucket size increases the time to render. (On complex scenes with complex nodes.) I am waiting for the dual core 3hz G5's. If they dont manifest I will be buying the Intels. (But that will make Poser even slower till eF compiles a compliant binary)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.