Mon, Sep 9, 7:24 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 08 12:29 am)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: FREEBIE links to a Pay Download site?

madkat ( ) posted Tue, 06 September 2005 at 12:34 AM · edited Tue, 27 August 2024 at 2:13 PM

The Slum Flats in the Free Stuff section takes you to a site where you can download it for free (which I could not) but lists all the negatives about downloading for free vs a bunch of hype for subscribing to their premium downloading services (like actually getting the download maybe?) I find this to be very shadey at best, in the least it's spam in the area that is supposedly "Free Stuff". Does Renderosity actually support this?

KarenJ ( ) posted Tue, 06 September 2005 at 12:44 AM

If the item is free then it qualifies to go in the free stuff. Why could you not download this item? I downloaded it fine, and have not had any other enquiries about this. Thanks, Karen Poser Moderator

"you are terrifying
and strange and beautiful
something not everyone knows how to love." - Warsan Shire

nruddock ( ) posted Tue, 06 September 2005 at 1:24 AM

Rapidshare goes by IP number. The problem comes with ISP transparent proxies, to Rapidshare huge numbers of people appear to have the same IP number. The only thing you can do is wait a few days.

mrsparky ( ) posted Tue, 06 September 2005 at 6:12 AM

Nruddock is right. My ISP allocates dynamic IP's, so logic dictates if you logged off, waited a while, you'd have a "new" IP and be able to download. But it's a clever system they have there. It's smart "enough" to recognise your back again. It doesn't seem to use cookies or refeerers, so maybe it uses the "top" part of the IP, example: 80.42.XX.XXX. Either way, the only way around it is to wait 24 hours :(

Pinky - you left the lens cap of your mind on again.

Byrdie ( ) posted Tue, 06 September 2005 at 7:30 PM

You shouldn't need to wait that long for Rapidshare, just toss your cookies, dump your cache and reload the page. They do tend to get finicky, I've found doing that works just about all the time.

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Tue, 06 September 2005 at 9:01 PM

just toss your cookies Snicker...I know this is computer lingo...but it still cracks me up ~LOL~

~Jani

Renderosity Community Admin
---------------------------------------

Mystic-Nights ( ) posted Wed, 07 September 2005 at 10:56 PM

No problems here. I checked out the file. Only had to wait 14 seconds in the que to download. Rapidshare is a file hosting server were people can post their files for download. Most use these if they don't have there own webpages or if they use one of the free webhosts that gives you limited bandwidth and disables your account when you go over. The file hosting companies support themselves by banner advertising and offering premium services.

BDC ( ) posted Thu, 08 September 2005 at 8:15 AM · edited Thu, 08 September 2005 at 8:25 AM

I agree with madkat on this one. I have attempted too download it too here's what I get.

You have requested the file slum_flats.zip (1688700 Bytes). This file has been downloaded 161 times already.
IMPORTANT: Download-accelerators are only supported with a PREMIUM-Account! (note that)

Download-Ticket reserved. Please wait 5 seconds.
Avoid the need for download-tickets by using a PREMIUM-Account. Instant access!

Your Premium-Account is valid until [No premium-account detected]. You have collected 0 Premium-Points so far.
Collect Premium-Points with your Premium-Account and win fat rewards. Be surprised!
You own premium-status for 0 days. Collect 1000 days and get a free and unique 10-years valid premium-account!

I am of the opinion that "download tickets" are clearly the modus operandi there. And they are clearly designed to give you the time, "by force" that is, to read their ads.

Unless you pay for it(premium service).

And oh by the way, as a side note, I never was able to download it for free either.

Everyone here knows thats not a truly free item, its an attempt, to get you to think your going to get a free itme, and then after taking you to another site, make you think Ooooo I need to buy their product right now to get the free item. I call that bait and swtich

I agree madkat Its shady business practices and rosity should not allow it.
<<<<<---END OF LINE--->>>>>

Message edited on: 09/08/2005 08:25

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act" ~George Orwell

KarenJ ( ) posted Thu, 08 September 2005 at 10:02 AM

If the item is free to download, then it is free. You do not have to agree to anything, buy anything, or even visit any other sites to download it. BDC, why were you unable to download? What error message did you get? Was it about your IP address? Did you follow the advice given here?

"you are terrifying
and strange and beautiful
something not everyone knows how to love." - Warsan Shire

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.