Sat, Oct 5, 6:15 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 5:47 am)

Subject: 1903 Wright Flyer Concept

Becco_UK ( ) posted Sat, 10 September 2005 at 4:07 AM ยท edited Fri, 30 August 2024 at 8:46 PM

file_290583.jpg

This recent render is something that one day may become a Poser conversion. I add to when I get spare time (I started this in May 2005!). The concept assumes that different materials (steel & carbon) and propulsion systems were developed in time to be incorperated into the 1903 Wright Flyer design. For good measure the 'Flyer' is now a float plane too. When this eventually gets completed I'll see how it fares in Poser 5 and 6 to decide if conversion is suitable. More power from jet engines means a co pilot could be added, I think.

Becco_UK ( ) posted Sat, 10 September 2005 at 4:09 AM

Attached Link: http://www.nasm.si.edu/research/arch/collections/techdraw/wrights.cfm

file_290584.jpg

The free download plan used to help get the propotions correct came from the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum.

Becco_UK ( ) posted Sat, 10 September 2005 at 4:13 AM

file_290585.jpg

Earlier, out of curiosity, I tried this in Poser 4 with a plain white material applied. The structure as seen generates an .obj file size of just under 10MB. A finished version (if pursued) would after some optimisation probably be around 12 MB.

aeilkema ( ) posted Sat, 10 September 2005 at 7:11 AM

Cool model! Excellent work, but what's with the jet engine? Adding a jet engine to this plane is a very bad idea. The structure of the plane couldn't suppurt and handle an engine like that. Besides, they still hadn't invented it in 1903.....

Artwork and 3DToons items, create the perfect place for you toon and other figures!

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?vendor=23722

Due to the childish TOS changes, I'm not allowed to link to my other products outside of Rendo anymore :(

Food for thought.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYZw0dfLmLk

xantor ( ) posted Sat, 10 September 2005 at 8:25 AM

To me, It would be better if it was actually a model of the wright brother`s plane without any added engines or design changes.

pakled ( ) posted Sat, 10 September 2005 at 12:12 PM

the drag from the wires and floats would be enormous..I remember them making a copy in '03 (this century), and it ws fragile to the max..aerodynamically unsound..but great modeling, btw..;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

Bondini ( ) posted Sat, 10 September 2005 at 4:09 PM

I love the hybrid design. Impractical, yes, but perfect to pilot in certain fantasy scenes. I would love to use it with the jets and carbon fibre construction.

operaguy ( ) posted Sun, 11 September 2005 at 4:03 AM

OT Comment: the idea of controlling turn by warping the wing, which the Wrights invented and perfected, was dropped by aviation early on. Now, in the most advanced concept jets, they are bringing it back...warping the wing instead of manipulating flaps and such. I just think that is such a cool thought! The 1903 Wright Flyer, most successful airplane every built. ::::: Opera :::::

SpottedKitty ( ) posted Sun, 11 September 2005 at 10:08 AM

I'm reminded of a picture I came across online some time ago, apparently a photoshopped spoof. A Wright Flyer hanging from the wing of a B-52, just like the X-15... =)

operaguy ( ) posted Sun, 11 September 2005 at 12:29 PM

Becco, Thanks for the link to the plans. I've made a bookmark. It is interesting to remeber that Orville lived until 1948 and so witnessed the dawn of the jet age. Perhaps one morning in his ending years he humorously/wryly juxtaposed his Flyer with jet engines! Your model could be something out of his fantastic dreams. Question on your beautiful monochrome render in post3. "...with a plain white material applied. The structure as seen generates an .obj file size of just under 10MB..." Would you say that render time was to any degree faster with just the white material applied? In other words, given any scene in Poser, does eliminating (desaturating) all color and rendering in "grayscale" improve render time? ::::: Opera :::::

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.