Mon, Sep 9, 4:02 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 2:22 am)

Subject: Partly OT: An app for listing folder contents as text?

FishNose ( ) posted Mon, 31 October 2005 at 5:37 AM ยท edited Sat, 20 July 2024 at 12:30 PM

I have a perpetual problem in Poser: I have so many hairstyles, so many clothes, so many poses (LOL) that I have no overview, no idea what everything is and where to find it. I often have stuff and completely forget about it. A consequence of this is that I tend to use old favorites, which is fine, but rather limiting... Is there an app I can use to list the contents of my folders as text, so I can print them and have them as a reference while I work in Poser? Of course, the coolest would be if I could prit out with all the png's showing as little thumbs, but that's expecting too much I'm sure, heheh. :] Fish

lundqvist ( ) posted Mon, 31 October 2005 at 5:53 AM
Online Now!

If using a PC, you could always open a command line and pipe the output from a DIR command to a file.

Mystic-Nights ( ) posted Mon, 31 October 2005 at 6:05 AM
Acadia ( ) posted Mon, 31 October 2005 at 8:18 AM

OMG! Mystic-Nights, I could kiss you!!!! I have been asking for years if this was possible, and all anyone told me was "take a screenshot", or make a spread sheet. And now here you are with links to actual programs that do this very thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

RHaseltine ( ) posted Mon, 31 October 2005 at 8:23 AM

Start Command prompt if the folder you're after isn't on the boot drive type the letter of it, followed by a colon, and hit renturn, eg d: now type cd followed by the folder path (or cd and drag the little folder icon from the address bar of an Explorer window into the command prompt window), and hit renturn, eg cd "RuntimesHairRuntimelibrarieshairDAZ Hair" now type dir *.hr2 > (again, you can use the drag the icon from an Explorer window for the path and then just add the txt file name) and hit renturn, eg dir *.hr2 > "C:My DocumentsFile listsDAZ Hair.txt" and you should get your index. If you add the /s switch, eg dir /s *.hr2 > "C:My DocumentsFile listsDAZ Hair.txt" you will get all of the subfolders too. There are a number of other switches to use - type dir /? for a listing.

Irish ( ) posted Mon, 31 October 2005 at 8:28 AM

Attached Link: DISCLIB

I have so much that I've placed my items on CDs and now DVDs and the very very best program for cataloging what is under each folder of my cds and dvds is a free program called DiscLib, which you'll find here. :)

ockham ( ) posted Mon, 31 October 2005 at 9:42 AM

Semi-related: Is there an -automatic- way to form a directory within a website? Many folks have wanted me to set up an index with descriptions, but the labor of copying and pasting every filename (especially when the content changes daily) just isn't worth it.

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

pakled ( ) posted Mon, 31 October 2005 at 10:05 AM

hmm..
dir /w /s >list can't remember if this would work, but it might in Dos mode. Just takes the contents as text, and empties them into a text file called list. I seem to remember /s is subdirectories, but I could be wrong..yeah..tested it, and it seems to work.

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

FishNose ( ) posted Mon, 31 October 2005 at 10:28 AM ยท edited Mon, 31 October 2005 at 10:30 AM

Thanks for the help, everyone!

This solves my problem, for sure :o))

:] Fish

Message edited on: 10/31/2005 10:30

ockham ( ) posted Mon, 31 October 2005 at 10:33 AM

Never mind, found one.... http://autosite.empiresource.com/

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

mateo_sancarlos ( ) posted Mon, 31 October 2005 at 12:45 PM

It's a similar procedure for OS X. The command line app is called "terminal".

mrsparky ( ) posted Mon, 31 October 2005 at 2:02 PM

The batch file below creates 2 listing of all the exe and zip files in one directory (folder). Fire up notepad and copy the text below. save it as list.bat into the folder you want to list (it will list subfolders if memorys serves). Then run it. After it's done look in the root of drive C:, you'll find two files. ========================start================ cls @echo off ECHO ECHO PRESS A TO START. B TO EXIT CHOICE /c:AB SELECT A KEY: IF NOT ERRORLEVEL 1 GOTO DONE IF ERRORLEVEL 1 IF NOT ERRORLEVEL 2 GOTO :A IF ERRORLEVEL 2 GOTO :B :A dir *.exe /b /s /o:n >c:exes.txt dir *.zip /b /s /o:n >c:zips.txt GOTO DONE :B GOTO DONE :done ====================stop==================

Pinky - you left the lens cap of your mind on again.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.