Sat, Oct 5, 6:20 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 5:47 am)

Subject: Eyewhites, Ambient Occlusion and Anistropic - The Revenge!

unzipped ( ) posted Fri, 04 November 2005 at 2:18 AM ยท edited Sun, 15 September 2024 at 7:44 AM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?ForumID=12356&Form.ShowMessage=2455102

Just for the sake of completeness I figured I'd post where I've gotten with the things I was trying to sort out in the thread I posted earlier in the week. After reading face_off's tutorials, studying his node set ups from my copies of AO Master and the Mil Figure Realism kit and blundering about on my own here's the best I could come up with - feel free to suggest improvements:

unzipped ( ) posted Fri, 04 November 2005 at 2:19 AM

file_301574.jpg

First the start, with all the problems I perceived noted on the image.

unzipped ( ) posted Fri, 04 November 2005 at 2:20 AM

file_301575.jpg

Here's a little before and after head shot comparison:

unzipped ( ) posted Fri, 04 November 2005 at 2:29 AM

file_301577.jpg

Here's an "after" close up, the differences are subtle. 1)the wierd highlight due to the back light is gone (I turned off the backlight) 2)the shadow from light 2 is nearly gone (I turned off the shadow, and set the map and shadow to 0 for that light) though some shadow remains from AO which I can live with 3)adding a slight displacement to the eyewhite via an inverted texture map has added just a bit of depth to the highlight 4)removing all specular values and effects from the iris and pupil has given the eye more depth, but it has also created a greater contrast between the areas covered by the cornea and the areas that are not.

unzipped ( ) posted Fri, 04 November 2005 at 2:30 AM

file_301578.jpg

The same settings with the main light shifted a bit to the side to display what the displacement map can do.

unzipped ( ) posted Fri, 04 November 2005 at 2:36 AM

file_301579.jpg

Finally the node set up for the eyewhite I ended up with. I'm not sure it was worth all the effort. I think the result is a bit better than what I started with. One thing that would help is a morph for the cornea which would allow it to fit entirely over the iris texture. I've done such a morph for V3, but unfortunately those morphs don't seem to fit Stephanie 3's corneas (the figure in these images). That or the texture needs to take more care to confine the iris texture to the iris only and not have it bleed over into the eyewhite area. I like the effect gained by desaturating and inverting the texture map and running it through the displacement channel on the eyewhite, though one setting doesn't work for all lighting I'm finding. Actually I think the most important thing was getting the lights positioned well - which has nothing to do with the node set up at all. :) Unzipped

fls13 ( ) posted Fri, 04 November 2005 at 10:49 AM ยท edited Fri, 04 November 2005 at 10:50 AM

file_301580.jpg

That anistropic node seems to be the best current Poser solution for more photo-real eyes. These are the settings I use for the transparent parts of the eye, the lenscovering and eyeball. I'm happy with the results. I guess the V3 mesh is a little different in that there's the cornea geometry, but regardless, that node is a step in the right direction.

Message edited on: 11/04/2005 10:50

face_off ( ) posted Fri, 04 November 2005 at 1:53 PM

Unzipped - it's looking great.... I think you could squeeze some more realism out of it by give a simple fake-sss look to the eyewhite. There are a couple of ways of doing it - but the simpless is to reduce the Diffuse_Value but about 0.3, and plug the Color_Texture into the Ambient_Color, make that color white, and set the Ambient_Value at around 0.3. You'll need to play with the _Value's to get the right feel depending on your lighting. Also, that lacrimal is very bright, meaning a shadow is greeping through there from a light on the right. The quickest fix is to turn on ray-traced shadows for that light, bias = 0.01, blur = 2.

Creator of PoserPhysics
Creator of OctaneRender for Poser
Blog
Facebook

unzipped ( ) posted Fri, 04 November 2005 at 3:19 PM

Thanks for the input folks. face_off I'll give those suggestions a try and report back with results, I would like to get that fake-sss gloss on there. I'll take another look at the lacrimal - I just slapped an Anistropic on there and forgot about it The main light (on the right facing the scene, on the left in the scene) is raytraced, I'm pretty sure the blur is up to 2.5, I don't remember the bias off hand. I'll give it a looksie. If I get this down, I may venture into experimenting with reflection/refraction next - I figure it would up the ante a bit. Stay tuned! Unzipped

PabloS ( ) posted Fri, 04 November 2005 at 7:05 PM

bookmark

Robo2010 ( ) posted Fri, 04 November 2005 at 8:54 PM

Very, very impressive. Awesome job. :-)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.