Fri, Oct 4, 11:24 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photoshop

Welcome to the Photoshop Forum

Forum Moderators: Wolfenshire, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photoshop F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 10:49 pm)

Our mission is to provide an open community and unique environment where anyone interested in learning more about Adobe Photoshop can share their experience and knowledge, post their work for review and critique by their peers, and learn new techniques while developing the skills that allow each individual to realize their own unique artistic vision. We do not limit this forum to any style of work, and we strongly encourage people of all levels and interests to participate.

Are you up to the challenge??
Sharpen your Photoshop skill with this monthly challenge...

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: web page header

shadowrelm ( ) posted Sat, 12 November 2005 at 12:22 PM · edited Fri, 04 October 2024 at 9:29 PM

what is the general pixal count vert and horz for a web header? I am trying to build a header for a friends web page but when I load it into dreamweaver or frontpage I still have some of the white field of the page on the right. the header does not extend completely through the page. What is the proper size?

aprilgem ( ) posted Sat, 12 November 2005 at 12:54 PM

Uh. There is no single standard size -- people view web sites at different resolutions/screen sizes.

TrulyMadly ( ) posted Sat, 12 November 2005 at 2:13 PM

Hmm..........wouldn't it be nice if life is so easy lol. May be one day. I guess first you must find out or decide what size of header you want. How or more precisely if you are designing a new site from scratch, the approach you take towards it. In your case my guess is your friend has a page already and there is either a blank space or a header in place which you want to replace. In this case since the page layout and property is set, you just have to find out the size ( pixel count ) of the old header, from there resize the header you made to fit into that space. However if you want to replace a header with a different size, work out the size you want first then slice it in photoshop for best result. Good luck...........

TrulyMadly ( ) posted Sat, 12 November 2005 at 2:16 PM

Sorry, considering this is a photoshop forum I automatically assume you use photoshop, if the site is already loaded in your computer dreamweaver directory, it might actually be easier to use Firework to resize. Just a thought........

shadowrelm ( ) posted Sun, 13 November 2005 at 10:36 PM

Yes I am using photoshop. Right now the header is 1180 width by 220 high. I have loaded it up into image ready and sliced it up into 10 equal parts. and saved it as html. I then load it into frontpage and preview it. the problem I am getting is that there is still a white gap in the page from the right edge of the header and the right edge of the page. my only guess is that frontpage has a predetermined pixel count for the width of the page and I am not meating it. that is why I wanted to know what the norm for a pixial count was for the width of a page.

artbyphil ( ) posted Tue, 15 November 2005 at 7:10 PM

just a thought, could it be html margins? Have you set margins to 0 in the web package? (usually in page settings)

dreamer101 ( ) posted Tue, 15 November 2005 at 7:39 PM

I still wouldn't put the header as a fixed 1180px width. People with resolutions of 800 x 600 and 1024 x 76 will have a horizontal scroll bar and those with higher resolutions will have white gap. You can do a 100% table (if using tables). Make header a fixed width of 766px, centered and add a background color. That way the people using 800 x 600 will see just the header and people with higher resolution will see a centered header with a background color on each side. If you must use a WYSIWYG software then use Dreamweaver rather than the dreaded Frontpage.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.