Thu, Sep 19, 6:51 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: Focusing...what i've learned & how it's helping me improve

tvernuccio ( ) posted Sun, 13 November 2005 at 11:32 AM · edited Sat, 14 September 2024 at 9:07 AM

hi guys! I'd like to talk just a bit about focus and what i've learned this past week. It's helping me improve the clarity of my images, and i hope the things i bring up here will help some of you who may also be struggling with focus.

Manual versus Automatic Focus: i almost always use automatic focus. i think the camera does a much better job than i do in most cases. i do use manual focus when i want to shoot a macro shot where my subject is surrounded by branches/grass/leaves, etc. because if i use automatic focus, so many times, my cam will focus on some stray twig or piece of grass that's sticking out instead of my subject.

Automatic Focus (AF) settings:

1. Monitoring Auto Focus (MAF), this is my camera's default setting. This mode will shorten the time needed to focus as the cam automatically start adjusting the focus before you even press and hold the shutter half-way down. As soon as we got my cam last year, Kemal took it out of MAF because it drains your battery significantly.

2. Single Auto Focus (SAF): this is where i have my camera set. Focus does not begin until you press and hold the shutter halfway down. Soon as you press the shutter halfway down, focus is locked.

3. Continuous Auto Focus (CAF): this mode will also drain your battery if you use it all the time. But it's good if you're shooting moving subjects with continuous focus. When your cam is in this mode, the cam starts focusing before you press the shutter halfway down, and then it will continue to adjust focus even after you've pressed the shutter halfway. If the subject is moving too fast though, my cam will have problems making focus adjustments.

How to choose a focus range finder frame:

Guys, i've found out that this is just CRITICAL to getting a properly focused image. i was wondering what in the He_L
my problem was with focus, and kemal and i figured out i've had my focus range finder frame NOT set properly. It's making ALL the difference now.

1. Multipoint AF: this is my cam's default setting. This setting is good when it's hard to focus on a subject that's not in the center of the frame. I would recommend using this setting when shooting a group of people. I'm thinking this mode is good when shooting a landscape also, but i haven't tested it yet and compared it to the Center AF.

One thing i wanna say about MAF...if you're having problems with images not having a sharp focus, check to see if your AF range finder is set in MAF. I had forgotten and left my cam in MAF for about 2 months now and have been wondering what's been happening with my focus. Duh...i just forgot all about this. I have to constantly think about things like this 'cause it's so important!

1. Center AF: This range finder is ONLY the center of the frame. I will use this range finder most of the time. What a HUGE difference it makes using Center AF vs. Multipoint AF...at least if you're taking a picture of a person, an animal, or an object.

2. Flexible Spot AF: This range finder is good when you want to focus on a VERY small subject or narrow area, especially if the subject is out of the center area.

APERTURE/DEPTH OF FIELD

Ok...all that said about automatic focus settings, i wanna tell you what i learned that i was doing wrong which was causing my focus to be off.

I've learned that when my aperture is set at, for example, f/2, only a small part of my image will be in focus, and i will have a very shallow DOF.

Ok, now if my aperture is set at say f/4, more of my subject will be in focus and my DOF will not be so shallow.

If i set my aperture at say f/8, i will have a large focal area, and DOF will not be shallow at all.

If i'm taking a picture of a person and i want to have their entire body in focus, i'd better have my aperture setting around f/8. Also, if i'm shooting a landscape and want most of the entire scene in focus, again, f/8 is the aperture i'd want to use (that's the highest my cam can go).

Now if i'm shooting a macro and want to focus on just one small part of the subject and have a very shallow DOF, i'll want my f-stop to be about 2.5 or something.

Anyway, it's finally becoming clear to me how aperture and DOF go hand-in-hand, and how my f-stop setting will make a HUGE difference on what is in focus in my image and what is not. Then when i decide on aperture, i will set my shutter speed to deal with the lighting.

Also, i'm still learning how far away to stand from my subject and how much to zoom in.

Anyway, i just wanted to share all this, hoping perhaps if any of ya'all are struggling with focus, that maybe a little bit of what i've said will help.

Focus is the biggest issue i have right now. I wanna nail it every time. Kemal and i are practicing every day, and i'm seeing a difference already.

That cat image i posted in my gallery...set wrong. Range finder was on multi-point instead of center. If i had had the setting right, i would have gotten a much better focus.

Anyway, sorry this is so long, but i thought this was important information that i wanted to share. Maybe for many of you it's just basic stuff. I've been shooting for 2 years though, and i'm just now really understanding all this. I'm a slow learner, but i think i'm getting there! :)

ya'all have a fantastic Sunday! :)

Message edited on: 11/13/2005 11:38

cynlee ( ) posted Sun, 13 November 2005 at 11:41 AM

thank you for sharing this sheila.. i'm sure it'll help! but unsure i have these named adjustments on my cam.. so just to be clear.. the camera you're using this with is? & do your other cams also have these options?

tvernuccio ( ) posted Sun, 13 November 2005 at 12:03 PM

Good point, Cindy. The cam i'm using is Sony DSC-F828. Our other Sony Cam (DSC-F717) is pretty much the same. I don't know how other digital cams operate, but i think it's important for folks to read their manuals to find out how autofocus works with their particular camera. There sure are a lot of options!! :)

tvernuccio ( ) posted Sun, 13 November 2005 at 12:12 PM

file_304284.jpg

i want to show a picture i took about 2 weeks ago i think that started me on really trying to learn how to start nailing my focus. this was a wolf we saw at the zoo. In all the years we've been going (7 years now), this is only the 2nd or 3rd time we've ever seen him. i had no choice but to shoot thru the fence, but i HAD to have a picture of him. he was pretty far away. i decided to use manual focus in this case. i *thought* that would be best way to go and i *thought* i had this baby focused well. I was wrong. Now i know it's terribly hard to manually focus thru a chain link fence, but i thought i could do a better job than autofocus. *sigh*. I'll show you kemal's image in just a sec (which he took using autofocus).

TobinLam ( ) posted Sun, 13 November 2005 at 12:12 PM · edited Sun, 13 November 2005 at 12:14 PM

I would like to add that many Canon SLRs have an "AI Autofocus" that acts as a hybrid of continous and single frame autofocus by determining if the subject is moving and refocusing accordingly. Take a cat, for example. If the cat is lying still the autofocus will focus once. If the cat gets up and moves it will continously refocus to keep the cat in focus, but when the cat stops moving so does the autofocus. And this only occurs while the shutter is held halfway down. Edit to add: Nice picture, even if it is a little soft.

Message edited on: 11/13/2005 12:14

tvernuccio ( ) posted Sun, 13 November 2005 at 12:17 PM · edited Sun, 13 November 2005 at 12:21 PM

file_304285.jpg

here's kemal's image using autofocus. like me, he was able to successfully blur out the chain link fence. but look how much better focused his is. he used Center AF range finder.

anyway, these days...all i'm focusing on is FOCUSING!!! LOL!!! :) edit: Tobin, that AI Autofocus is interesting. Do you like using it? thanks about the my wolf pic. :)

Message edited on: 11/13/2005 12:21

Margana ( ) posted Sun, 13 November 2005 at 1:36 PM

Thank you for this Sheila.I actually HAVE been having focusing issues. LOL,You're right. I have to read that manual!GROAN!

Marlene <")

Marlene S. Piskin Photography
My Blog

"A new study shows that licking the sweat off a frog can cure depression. The down side is, the minute you stop licking, the frog gets depressed again." - Jay Leno

tvernuccio ( ) posted Sun, 13 November 2005 at 2:02 PM

it can be pretty dry reading, Marlene, but if you read just 15 minutes a day that's not too bad! i read all this almost a year ago, but i forgot so much. when it comes to focus, i don't want to forget this stuff again. i CAN'T!! i mean, having my image in focus is the most important thing to me!! there are a lot of things you can fix in postwork, but if your image is blurry it's blurry. you can enhance focus a bit with some postwork, like doing some selective sharpening to sharpen eyes maybe, but that's about it. At least i haven't found a way to turn an out of focus image into one with excellent clarity. Anyway, if you've been having focusing issues, Marlene, definitely read your camera manual and then look at how your camera is set up. You might find what's causing the problem. Have a great day girl! :)

Onslow ( ) posted Sun, 13 November 2005 at 2:19 PM · edited Sun, 13 November 2005 at 2:20 PM

All very valid points Shiela :)

The names of different modes varies between makers but most have all or some of these features and using them correctly is the easiest way to nicely sharp images.

Message edited on: 11/13/2005 14:20

And every one said, 'If we only live,
We too will go to sea in a Sieve,---
To the hills of the Chankly Bore!'
Far and few, far and few, Are the lands where the Jumblies live;
Their heads are green, and their hands are blue, And they went to sea in a Sieve.

Edward Lear
http://www.nonsenselit.org/Lear/ns/jumblies.html

Margana ( ) posted Sun, 13 November 2005 at 2:20 PM

Thanks sweetie.I'll do that. You have a great one too! :^)

Marlene <")

My Blog

"A new study shows that licking the sweat off a frog can cure depression. The down side is, the minute you stop licking, the frog gets depressed again." - Jay Leno

Zacko ( ) posted Sun, 13 November 2005 at 2:47 PM

Excellent tips Sheila! Not only does the manual help (i hate admitting it...but when it comes to ones cam, you just cant overlook its value, lol....furniture, dvds and other stuff...then we can do without one) but also help and advice from members like yourself also help a great deal. Thanks! #:O) P.S....wolf??? That looks more like a fox to me, LOL. Beautiful shots by the way...by the both of ya. #:O)

How come we say 'It's colder than hell outside' when isn't it realistically always colder than hell since hell is supposed to be fire and brimstone?

Andreas

Mystic Pic

tibet2004uk ( ) posted Sun, 13 November 2005 at 3:23 PM

Very interesting thread Sheila! Thx for sharing! :)

L8RDAZE ( ) posted Sun, 13 November 2005 at 4:25 PM

Great info Sheila thx!

Some stuff I'd like to add:

Another thing that can SCREW with FOCUS is the AUTO-Focus(AF)-ASSIST lamp/light that some digital cameras project to aid in focusing! Especially in LOW LIGHT situations! I have mine ALWAYS set to off!

Also, cameras usually enable you to SAVE custom/favorite settings, so you can access them quickly when needed! Take advantage of this feature, so you don't have to fumble with them later!

Since all cams works somewhat differently, you need to check you specific owners manuals to find out about these options!

Here's a link to some good info, which explains some of this stuff:

advanced-digital-camera-settings

tvernuccio ( ) posted Sun, 13 November 2005 at 10:08 PM · edited Sun, 13 November 2005 at 10:11 PM

Attached Link: http://nationalzoo.si.edu/Animals/Amazonia/Facts/manedwolffacts.cfm

Joe, that's a neat feature to be able to save favorite settings!!

thanks for the link and the information!

Andreas, this sweet little furry thing i took a picture of is a Maned Wolf. Maned wolves look a LOT like foxes. Get this...her name is: "Foxy." LOL! :)

here's a link if you're interested in learning more about maned wolves. Or you can do a Google images search for maned wolves and see a bunch of pictures.

If i didn't know this was a wolf, i'd think it was a fox too!!!! :)

Message edited on: 11/13/2005 22:09

Message edited on: 11/13/2005 22:11

Margana ( ) posted Sun, 13 November 2005 at 11:26 PM

I never heard of a maned wolf.I thought it was a fox,too. Cute little thing...

Marlene <")

My Blog

Leeco ( ) posted Sun, 13 November 2005 at 11:54 PM

Great thread and links. I too am not at all comfortable with nor familiar with all the options for focus, etc. I have read the manual a dozen times in the past few weeks and every time i do, i see something i overlooked or didnt understand at the time. I think i have a handle on it - then i don't, lol. I guess nothing helps as much as just plain old repetition and experience but friendly advice never hurts. Thanks for sharing and btw - i was about to add that your "wolf" was a fox then i read further, lol. There is always something new to learn.

tvernuccio ( ) posted Mon, 14 November 2005 at 1:50 AM · edited Mon, 14 November 2005 at 1:51 AM

Lee...i guess that's kinda how i feel too.

and I'm the same way...every time i pick up my manual i seem to learn something new...or relearn it. Yeah, you're right...repetition, practice, and being reminded helps!!!

yeah, i guess Foxy outsmarts us...a wolf disguised as fox! LOL! :)

Message edited on: 11/14/2005 01:51

soulofharmony ( ) posted Mon, 14 November 2005 at 1:55 AM

sheila excellent tutorial..... and the image is awesome :))))..:_) nikki

I Discovered the secret of the sea in mediation upon the dewdrop ... Sand and Foam Gibran

<a href="http://www.soulofharmonyphotographics.org/">Visit My Website</a>

coolj001 ( ) posted Mon, 14 November 2005 at 3:39 AM

I was going to mention something in regards to focusing but I think I just lost mine again. Anyways...cool info. and good to hear from you. Now where did I put my camera manual? :-)

tvernuccio ( ) posted Mon, 14 November 2005 at 8:25 AM

Nikki, Jeff...thanks guys! Jeff, i'm ALWAYS losing my focus. LOL! :)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.