Mon, Sep 9, 8:34 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 6:38 am)

Subject: Runtime and Poser6 speed Question

shedofjoy ( ) posted Tue, 15 November 2005 at 5:23 PM ยท edited Sat, 20 July 2024 at 6:13 AM

Ok i know about this Multiple Runtime thing, as i use Poser6 and have my content installed on my Poser5 install on another HD, But in an earlier thread, someone (who i have already forgotten, because my mind is crap) said something about his runtimes not being more than 5Gb's and that all of them take less than 20sec's to load. Now i have all my content in my Poser5 Runtime, and i can't say that it takes anything longer than 10sec to load when surfing the libraries, so my question is... Does having more Runtimes with less in them run faster than one runtime (with a tidy filing system) with everything in it????

Getting old and still making "art" without soiling myself, now that's success.

diolma ( ) posted Tue, 15 November 2005 at 5:43 PM

As far as I understand it... Poser 6 opens up "pointing to" the last Runtime you used when you last closed Poser (unless of course, you closed via the task manager - not an unusual experience with Poser). So it will only try to read that specific Runtime when you start up. However, if you decide to switch Runtimes during your Poser session, it will then read all of that new Runtime (with consequent delay) before displaying the libraries. And, if you switch back --- it'll have to re-read the previous Runtime.. (although that might be quicker than the initial read if the OS caches the previous one, but that's out of Posers' control..) Quite how this reply will help (if it does) I'm not sure, but I hope it does.. Cheers, Diolma

Jay7347 ( ) posted Tue, 15 November 2005 at 5:44 PM

I've been running one runtime on P6 with the SR2 for awhile and have had no problems. Its got about 28-29gigs of content on that one runtime and my load up is about 24-25 sec on a dual gig G5. I do a lot of beta testing so I find it better to have all content organized in one runtime where I can find it when I need to match new product updates with older versions. Multiple runtimes were driving me crazy so I tried putting everything in one. The great thing about Poser now is that you can configure it either way to suit your needs and it will work fine. -jay

JohnRickardJR ( ) posted Wed, 16 November 2005 at 12:53 PM

I think the real decider here is hard drive speed - I've just gone up to serial ATA and everything is suddenly much quicker - both startup and runtime swapping, as well as opening/ saving and even swapping back from preview mode!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.