Tue, Oct 22, 12:49 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 11:46 am)

Subject: P5 material questions:

Faery_Light ( ) posted Thu, 24 November 2005 at 11:15 PM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 12:36 PM

I finally have my comp res set where I can use P5 and see the text. Now I've been working on using face_off's skin shader for my textures. I saved the torso and head textures as materials but do I need to save each and every body part as separate materials or will it work similar to a PPro Mat file? And am I allowed to distribute my textures after altering with skin shader? I've checked the manual but couldn't find anything on saving the materials. Could be I'm too stuffed from my dinner to think straight. LOL. Thanks for any help.

Let me introduce you to my multiple personalities. :)
     BluEcho...Faery_Light...Faery_Souls.

Acadia ( ) posted Thu, 24 November 2005 at 11:27 PM

What does the readme say? You should ideally contact Face_off about this and ask.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Fri, 25 November 2005 at 3:17 AM

Since the technique behind Real Skin Shader is described on Face_off's own site, it is potentially possible to set it all up manually. And in that case, you made the nodes, they're yours, you can distribute them. Real Skin shader only automates the process. So I think they WOULD be legal to distrubute. That said, it wouldn't do much good really, as they're dependant on where the light in your scene is, and therefore it would look wrong (or at least not as good) if it was used in a scene where the lights were different than the scene you made the setup in. And of course, the HyperReal shader (and I know that wasn't the one you asked about) includes some texture maps / vascular maps that can NOT be redistributed. But I'm interested in this, too. I'm making textures at the moment and if it was possible to include at least a sort of the Real Skin Shader, it would increase their value.

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

face_off ( ) posted Fri, 25 November 2005 at 7:02 AM

As Ernyoka siad - the whole shading network is built around the light positions - so including the RSS node network in a product is not recommended. It would give some very odd results under certain lighting conditions.

Creator of PoserPhysics
Creator of OctaneRender for Poser
Blog
Facebook

Faery_Light ( ) posted Fri, 25 November 2005 at 12:36 PM

Ah, thank you everyone. Just that I've been reading where someone was asking about why people didn't support P5 and P6 more using the node capabilities and it made me wonder. It does make sense not to as the file would probably balloon way up if all that was included. LOL.

Guida ( ) posted Sat, 26 November 2005 at 11:41 AM

BluEcho,
What if you included your own light sets in your pack?

Just curious :)

face_off ( ) posted Sat, 26 November 2005 at 4:59 PM

Guida - that would work! However, I think most customers would be very hesitant to purchase a textureset that only works with a predefined lightset.

Creator of PoserPhysics
Creator of OctaneRender for Poser
Blog
Facebook

Guida ( ) posted Sat, 26 November 2005 at 5:47 PM

True true.. there goes my 2 Euro cents :)

Faery_Light ( ) posted Sat, 26 November 2005 at 8:12 PM

hmm, I think I'll stick to doing my textures and characters for a bit longer and leave the nodes and scripts to those who do them best. :) I'll continue using skin shader for my personal renders because they look much better that way. Thanks for all the input.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.