Sun, Oct 6, 6:20 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Simulating gravity, mass, etc.

kobanion ( ) posted Mon, 05 December 2005 at 11:41 AM · edited Thu, 15 August 2024 at 6:32 PM

Can anyone point me to a tutorial, discussion thread or what-not that describes how to simulate the effects of gravity and mass on various objects? Specifically, I need to simulate those depressions caused by someone sitting on a sofa cushion, lying on a bed and/or pillow, and all that happy Einsteinian/relativistic/space-is-curved crap. Many thanks in advance.

pakled ( ) posted Mon, 05 December 2005 at 11:47 AM

I'm currently reading a book called Coming of age in the Milky Way that explains some of it (it's an ancient book, but fun 'Sunday supplement' kind of Science..;)It does explain all that..at least up to the part I'm at..;)
I dunno, most people sitting on furniture just leave a general impression (unless you're talking about the old beanbag chairs, etc), and often, depending on the resiliency of the cushions, fabric, etc., tend to smooth out as you get out of them.
Unless you're going to be doing a closeup of the affected area, a general depression (shaped like, well, sorta, you know..;) would do. If noone's there any more, a little hollow in the center of the cushions would probably do you. If someone's sitting there, you can just move the figure slightly into the cushions, and get the same general effect. Good luck.

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

xantor ( ) posted Mon, 05 December 2005 at 12:19 PM

You can use magnets to make the effect.

randym77 ( ) posted Mon, 05 December 2005 at 12:33 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?Form.ShowMessage=2490675

Someone asked a similar question a couple of days ago. The script and tutorial mentioned in the link should help you, too.

Acadia ( ) posted Mon, 05 December 2005 at 3:04 PM · edited Mon, 05 December 2005 at 3:05 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?ForumID=12356&Form.ShowMessage=2299088

Try this thread. Post 61 and 62 explain how it's done using magnets.

Message edited on: 12/05/2005 15:05

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

Countach ( ) posted Mon, 05 December 2005 at 11:11 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/freestuff.ez?Topsectionid=0&Form.SortOrder=UserName&Start=13&Form.Contri

This is a link to Ockham's Eureka python script that will solve the problem you mentioned. Can take a while to work, though, from my experience.

Jules53757 ( ) posted Tue, 06 December 2005 at 2:54 AM · edited Tue, 06 December 2005 at 2:58 AM

May be here you find it quicker, it's at the bottom of the page.

Python Script

Message edited on: 12/06/2005 02:55

Message edited on: 12/06/2005 02:58

Ulli

"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!"

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.